Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Republican Voter Suppression

Now that the Republicans have pretty much thrown in the towel, what voter suppression tactics are they working on for the future.  Obviously their current ones did not succeed in electing Trump.  Although a lot of other Republican candidates did get elected.

With a far more friendly "conservative" Federal court system, they should be able to get just about anything approved.  Especially the 6-3 US Supreme Court as they always fall back on the old it's a political issue, not a judicial one to avoid having to hear lower court decisions favorable to Republicans.

22 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I felt like throwing a shoe at the television last night when Rick Santorum said that Donald Trump was absolutely right in that mail in ballots were rife with fraud and had to go.

Look for major revisions of absentee, mail-in and early voting in Red states.  Also, changing state and federal district boundaries to concentrate more Democratic leaning voters into fewer districts or districts diluted by more Republican leaning voters.

• Sad 1
22 hours ago, ElCid said:

Look for major revisions of absentee, mail-in and early voting in Red states.  Also, changing state and federal district boundaries to concentrate more Democratic leaning voters into fewer districts or districts diluted by more Republican leaning voters.

Add in fewer polling places and fewer machines and workers in Democratic leaning areas and more in Republican leaning areas.

16 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Ron Brownstein just speculated that part of the Trump voter fraud affair is a signal to State GOP officials that they must step up their voter suppression efforts.

Possibly, but I doubt they need any encouragement.  Of course, other Republican candidates fared much better than Trump.

Read where Nev. Republican legislators are already attacking mail-in voting, as are Republicans in other states.  It will be much more restricted in 2022 than it was in 2020.

On 11/24/2020 at 11:32 AM, Bogie56 said:

I felt like throwing a shoe at the television last night when Rick Santorum said that Donald Trump was absolutely right in that mail in ballots were rife with fraud and had to go.

santorum has been a prongwad since he lost his senate seat.

All In: The Fight For Democracy

Synopsis:
In anticipation of the 2020 presidential election, All In: The Fight For Democracy examines the often overlooked, yet insidious issue of voter suppression in the United States The film interweaves personal experiences with current activism and historical insight to expose a problem that has corrupted our democracy from the very beginning. With the perspective and expertise of Stacey Abrams, the former Minority Leader of the Georgia House of Representatives, the documentary offers an insider’s look into laws and barriers to voting that most people don’t even know is a threat to their basic rights as citizens of the United States.
  • ElCid changed the title to Republican Voter Suppression

The Week magazine had an interesting article on "Elections: Should it be easier or harder to vote, "Feb. 19, 2021.  Couldn't find a link.

It covers the multitude of actions the Republicans are undertaking to make sure older, white males control as much of the country as possible.  They have introduced (so far) 106 separate bills in 28 states that would restrict access to voting.

Examples:  curtailing early and absentee voting; more stringent ID requirements; reducing numbers of polling places and drop-boxes; eliminating automatic and same day voter registration; make it easier for Republican officials to "purge" voter rolls of Democrats.  Arizona trying to give its legislature power to "decertify" election results and have GOP dominated legislature elect the electors for president. 

S.C. legislature is back in session and also introducing many suppression bills.  Priority one was to outlaw all abortions and they did that so they can move on to suppression.

Yes, James this goes against "states rights," but we fought a war and many court battles about that.  This is still one nation and sometimes the Federal government does take precedence over what the states wish to do when the states are wrong.

The US House is online to pass H.R. 1, the For the People Act, which would mandate automatic voter registration in every state, unlimited absentee voting and 15 days of early voting.  Bill would also prohibit extreme gerrymandering and dark-money for campaigns.  While it may only be applicable to Federal elections (for now), states would probably just go along and do it for all elections.  Senate could pass it by eliminating the filibuster.

The basic problem for the the Republicans is that neither the leadership nor the base have recognized that by electing more Radical Extremist Far-Right people to office, they are moving against the tide in America and will lose big time in the future.  They need to enlist more moderates into the party - the very people that they have been forcing out since Goldwater-Reagan.

On 11/29/2020 at 4:06 PM, Swithin said:

What's a prongwad? I googled it, and it led me to a link for Nipkow/TCM! 

what part of the male human anatomy resembles a prong?

:D

I would highly recommend Fareed Zakaris' show on CNN when it repeats today.  The first half deals with voter suppression and how the GOP has become the ant-democratic party.  David Frum is one of the guests.

• Thanks 1

q-YDSRpK_bigger.jpg

Don't ever let anyone tell you that bad voting laws can't be challenged in court, or that all hope is lost. Here is the proof: https://democracydocket.com/cases/florida-early-vote/
Quote Tweet

q-YDSRpK_mini.jpg

Marc E. Elias

@marceelias
· 4h
Florida tried to make it impossible to put early voting centers on college campuses and thereby suppress student voting. We sued and as a result colleges and universities were able to offer their students on-campus early voting locations.
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I would highly recommend Fareed Zakaris' show on CNN when it repeats today.  The first half deals with voter suppression and how the GOP has become the ant-democratic party.  David Frum is one of the guests.

Started to watch it, but his intro (at 1:00 PM) did not mention voter suppression, but a long list of other topics and people.  So I did something else.

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

Started to watch it, but his intro (at 1:00 PM) did not mention voter suppression, but a long list of other topics and people.  So I did something else.

Perhaps you could find it on youtube or CNN's web page.  It was excellent.  I don't think it was billed as a spot on voter suppression but that's essentially what it was about.

Failing party playbook: 1. Change the rules to improve their chances 2. Prevent those they disagree with from participating in the democratic process 3. Instill fear in their supporters if the ‘other’ side wins 4. No ideas, only power

idMUa9IJ?format=jpg&name=small
Florida is also working on restricting their very successful, time tested and accurate mail-in voting system.  It actually is what helped the GOPers can control of the state as many retirees prefer to vote by mail and majority vote Republican.
The high Dem majority using mail-in voting in 2020 did so because of anti-Trump sentiment and strong encouragement and assistance in doing so.  Neither of those may be there in 2022 or 2024.
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

With the 250 plus NEW voter suppression laws being introduced and passed in the Red and Purple states, the Democrats in Washington better take off the gloves and push through as much legislation as they can.  By single vote majorities in House and Senate if need be.  Moderate, non-extreme legislation would be the best to pass.  The far left extremism will just cause more problems in 2022.

And the Supreme Court will not act to reign in any voter suppression.  Even CJ Roberts has sided with letting the states pretty much do as they please.

Because voter suppression coupled with further gerrymandering will most likely enable the Republicans to take over the House and Senate in 2022.  So, Jan 2023 will be a new ball game in DC.  Sad, but probably true.

• Sad 2
22 minutes ago, ElCid said:

With the 250 plus NEW voter suppression laws being introduced and passed in the Red and Purple states, the Democrats in Washington better take off the gloves and push through as much legislation as they can.  By single vote majorities in House and Senate if need be.  Moderate, non-extreme legislation would be the best to pass.  The far left extremism will just cause more problems in 2022.

And the Supreme Court will not act to reign in any voter suppression.  Even CJ Roberts has sided with letting the states pretty much do as they please.

Because voter suppression coupled with further gerrymandering will most likely enable the Republicans to take over the House and Senate in 2022.  So, Jan 2023 will be a new ball game in DC.  Sad, but probably true.

The Dems need to come up with counter measures to overcome these  voter suppression laws,  especially in the purple states (i.e. states where they won elections in 2020, or 2018).      Stacey Abrams and her group has many months to do so,  and I have faith in them.

E.g. mail in ballots can only go to those that are registered;     get people registered.         

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Dems need to come up with counter measures to overcome these  voter suppression laws,  especially in the purple states (i.e. states where they won elections in 2020, or 2018).      Stacey Abrams and her group has many months to do so,  and I have faith in them.

E.g. mail in ballots can only go to those that are registered;     get people registered.         

Could be wrong, but I do not believe any state sends mail-in ballots to people who are not registered voters. 

The GOP suppression laws go far beyond just how to send out mail-in ballots.  They want to limit the number of people who can receive them; make it more difficult to apply for one; make it more difficult to deliver one; prohibit almost all assistance in delivering them; and so on.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Could be wrong, but I do not believe any state sends mail-in ballots to people who are not registered voters. 

The GOP suppression laws go far beyond just how to send out mail-in ballots.  They want to limit the number of people who can receive them; make it more difficult to apply for one; make it more difficult to deliver one; prohibit almost all assistance in delivering them; and so on.

Depends on how one defines "registered";   E.g. there is motor voter registration,   where one is automatically registered to vote when they get their driver license.    

Anyhow;  of course the GOP efforts go far beyond the ONE example I mentioned.    I still believe most of these can be overcome,  mostly by showing up to vote on election day.

Also,   based on what I read most of these GOP efforts make it more difficult for older people to vote  (not just poor people that may move a lot or not have a car).    Hopefully many of these GOP efforts reduce voting by older white folks that vote GOP to offset the impact to poorer voters and \ or people-of-color.

Either way Stacy isn't going to give up and either am I.   I.e.  I'm donating  5K to her efforts.     

As for the Supreme Courts:   I believe they ruled correctly in that state representatives have wide powers related to a state's election laws.