Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Republican Voter Suppression

Time for Biden and company to take Joe Manchin and Sinema to the woodshed and tell them they have to vote for voting rights bill.  

It also has to be based on 51 votes, not 60.  Just get it done and then prepare for the fight with the Republican US Court System.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, ElCid said:

Time for Biden and company to take Joe Manchin and Sinema to the woodshed and tell them they have to vote for voting rights bill.  

It also has to be based on 51 votes, not 60.  Just get it done and then prepare for the fight with the Republican US Court System.

If they don't, Manchin and company become irrelevant in a Republican controlled Congress.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The solution for HR 1 and SB 1 (voting rights) is for the Dems to remove the most objectionable parts of HR 1 and then pass it in both Houses however is necessary.  For example, I absolutely do not see automatic registration for 16/17 year olds pending their becoming 18.

On 3/29/2021 at 6:04 PM, ElCid said:

The solution for HR 1 and SB 1 (voting rights) is for the Dems to remove the most objectionable parts of HR 1 and then pass it in both Houses however is necessary.  For example, I absolutely do not see automatic registration for 16/17 year olds pending their becoming 18.

So Cid,  I'm curious what you think of the Georgia voting bill the GOP just passed?     I'm finding it hard to get specific information about the bill,  but the few items mention (like providing a copy of photo ID for absentee voting),  sound logical to me.    

So I'm very curious what you believe is racist in the bill (if anything).    According to the MSM it is everything. 

56 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So Cid,  I'm curious what you think of the Georgia voting bill the GOP just passed?     I'm finding it hard to get specific information about the bill,  but the few items mention (like providing a copy of photo ID for absentee voting),  sound logical to me.    

So I'm very curious what you believe is racist in the bill (if anything).    According to the MSM it is everything. 

In Britain they have voting by mail, no ID required to accompany the ballots and there are no claims of voter fraud.

That is the question.  Why is America the only wealthy country where voter fraud is supposed to be rampant?  I would say that America is no different from Canada or most European countries in that there is not rampant voter fraud.  That part is fake news to make voting harder.  Start with the lie.

13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Two articles below if you have the time to sort through them.   The first is from GA Public Broadcasting and is probably neutral.  The second is more critical.  To me, it is an obvious attempt to change the rules that worked to ones that favor Republicans.   Basically, it restricts early voting, mail-in voting, numbers of ballot drop boxes, hours for early voting and so forth.  Most importantly it gives the Republican legislature more authority over the county election boards.  GA had no excuse early voting for years, but will now restrict that.  

https://www.gpb.org/news/2021/03/27/what-does-georgias-new-voting-law-sb-202-do

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/georgia-voting-law-voter-suppression-1148133/

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

In Britain they have voting by mail, no ID required to accompany the ballots and there are no claims of voter fraud.

That is the question.  Why is America the only wealthy country where voter fraud is supposed to be rampant?  I would say that America is no different from Canada or most European countries in that there is not rampant voter fraud.  That part is fake news to make voting harder.  Start with the lie.

How do other countries verify that the person sending in the mail-in ballot is who he says he is?  How do they verify the request?  Is mail-in open to every one?

Voter fraud is not rampant in America - only the Republicans claim that.  What is "rampant" is the changing voter demographics.  Republicans are now a minority party in that they represent a minority of the population and they fear losing control of the governments at all levels - down to the school districts.

Has anyone here actually read the Georgia bill? It's available online. 

Over my forty years of teaching, I've had to read many research papers, and I also reviewed articles for scholarly journals. I have always stressed the importance of primary sources. Rather than read an article or watch a video on the bill (which generally reflect the author's point of view), why not read the bill for yourself? By the way, Section 33 deals with the "food and water" issue.

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

How do other countries verify that the person sending in the mail-in ballot is who he says he is?  How do they verify the request?  Is mail-in open to every one?

Voter fraud is not rampant in America - only the Republicans claim that.  What is "rampant" is the changing voter demographics.  Republicans are now a minority party in that they represent a minority of the population and they fear losing control of the governments at all levels - down to the school districts.

In Britain we applied online for a ballot.  I cannot recall if there was any ID requirement - certainly nothing that required us to scan a photo ID or anything like that..   I think you get on the roll by paying council tax - which is like property tax but is also paid by people who are renting properties - ie, just bout everyone.  The ballot within another envelope arrives with your name on it.  I assume it has a number or bar code.  We just filled it out and mailed it back in.

I did say that 'rampant' voter fraud in America is fake.  I cannot believe that it is much different than the other countries I mentioned.  You never hear about voter fraud at all in those countries.  This is a story pushed by the GOP to justify voter suppression.

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

In Britain we applied online for a ballot.  I cannot recall if there was any ID requirement - certainly nothing that required us to scan a photo ID or anything like that..   I think you get on the roll by paying council tax - which is like property tax but is also paid by people who are renting properties - ie, just bout everyone.  The ballot within another envelope arrives with your name on it.  I assume it has a number or bar code.  We just filled it out and mailed it back in.

I did say that 'rampant' voter fraud in America is fake.  I cannot believe that it is much different than the other countries I mentioned.  You never hear about voter fraud at all in those countries.  This is a story pushed by the GOP to justify voter suppression.

Not all council tax payers are eligible to vote.  As a renter, I paid council tax monthly, and into the national insurance system, but I was not eligible to vote in England. 

Voting registration requirements (from www.gov.uk/register-to-vote):

You must be aged 16 or over (or 14 or over in Scotland and Wales).

You must also be one of the following:

• a British citizen
  • an Irish or EU citizen living in the UK
  • a Commonwealth citizen who has permission to enter or stay in the UK, or who does not need permission
  • a citizen of another country living in Scotland or Wales who has permission to enter or stay in the UK, or who does not need permission

Voting by post:

You must apply for a postal vote if you want to vote by post, for example if:

• you’re away from home
  • you’re abroad and want to vote in England, Scotland or Wales

You do not need to give a reason unless you’re voting in Northern Ireland.

You can apply to vote by post for one of the following:

• a single election on a specific date
  • a specific period if you want to vote in England, Scotland or Wales
  • permanently

The application for postal voting (all countries except NI) has entries for your name, address, phone (optional), email address (optional), term of applicability, address for ballot (if different from above), declaration of accuracy/truthfulness with date of birth and signature, and today's date.

Northern Ireland is stricter on voting by post.

In person voting

People living in England, Scotland or Wales do not need ID to vote in person.   Photo ID is required in Northern Ireland.  Voting age for Scottish Parliament, Welsh Parliament, and Scottish location elections is 16.  In all other elections there, and all elections in England and Northern Ireland, voting age is 18.

• Thanks 2

The above fits with what I had experienced.  Yes, of course, number one you have to be a citizen.

But it is a declaration not photographic ID and you can apply to vote by mail on a permanent basis.

17 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Not all council tax payers are eligible to vote.  As a renter, I paid council tax monthly, and into the national insurance system, but I was not eligible to vote in England. 

Voting registration requirements (from www.gov.uk/register-to-vote):

You must be aged 16 or over (or 14 or over in Scotland and Wales).

You must also be one of the following:

• a British citizen
  • an Irish or EU citizen living in the UK
  • a Commonwealth citizen who has permission to enter or stay in the UK, or who does not need permission
  • a citizen of another country living in Scotland or Wales who has permission to enter or stay in the UK, or who does not need permission

Voting by post:

You must apply for a postal vote if you want to vote by post, for example if:

• you’re away from home
  • you’re abroad and want to vote in England, Scotland or Wales

You do not need to give a reason unless you’re voting in Northern Ireland.

You can apply to vote by post for one of the following:

• a single election on a specific date
  • a specific period if you want to vote in England, Scotland or Wales
  • permanently

The application for postal voting (all countries except NI) has entries for your name, address, phone (optional), email address (optional), term of applicability, address for ballot (if different from above), declaration of accuracy/truthfulness with date of birth and signature, and today's date.

Northern Ireland is stricter on voting by post.

In person voting

People living in England, Scotland or Wales do not need ID to vote in person.   Photo ID is required in Northern Ireland.  Voting age for Scottish Parliament, Welsh Parliament, and Scottish location elections is 16.  In all other elections there, and all elections in England and Northern Ireland, voting age is 18.

How do you prove citizenship?  I assume that when applying for a postal vote, government matches it against a list of registered voters?

How do they verify person showing up to vote is who he says he is and that he is registered to vote?

22 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Has anyone here actually read the Georgia bill? It's available online. 

Over my forty years of teaching, I've had to read many research papers, and I also reviewed articles for scholarly journals. I have always stressed the importance of primary sources. Rather than read an article or watch a video on the bill (which generally reflect the author's point of view), why not read the bill for yourself? By the way, Section 33 deals with the "food and water" issue.

It is 100 pages long.

13 minutes ago, ElCid said:

How do you prove citizenship?  I assume that when applying for a postal vote, government matches it against a list of registered voters?

How do they verify person showing up to vote is who he says he is and that he is registered to vote?

Although I lived in the UK, as I was never eligible to vote there, I can't answer how they do that.  I would imagine it's similar to the way it was done here a few years ago.   Your information is matched against the voter rolls.

In the past, the UK tended to prioritize privacy much more than we did in the US.   They didn't have driving licences with photos until 1998.

• Thanks 1
QcgK2k4V_normal.jpg

The surest way to put an end to the Republican demand that the driver's license be a voting qualification is to require regular re-testing for drivers over age 75. Might save some lives too!
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1