Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Republican Voter Suppression

• 2 weeks later...

Satire from the Borowitz Report

Not the news.

Noting that the word “democracy” originated in ancient Greece, the Senate Minority Leader vowed, “I will not sit idly by and watch a foreign form of government sneak across our border.”
10:54 A.M.
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I watched the part with Graham and skipped through the parts with what's his face.  No surprise that Graham is going to be opposed to any voting changes since he represents a state where the Republicans are in total control and have been for decades.  Even the last election saw more GOPers elected to state offices than ever before.

Personally, I am beginning to accept voter ID and a few other limits.  No reason for same day registration, 24 hour early voting, mail-in ballots sent to every voter, etc.

I am very much in favor or a commission in each state to establish ALL district boundaries.  From city councils and school boards and on up to congressional districts.  I don't see this happening though, least not in my lifetime.

17 hours ago, mr6666 said:

-_-

Hard to find clear/simple points of Manchin's proposal, but I believe this is the gist of it.  Feel free to add to the list.

1.  Voter ID OK; 2. Two weeks of early voting; 3. eliminate partisan gerrymandering; 4. allowing local officials to purge voter rolls using other governmental entities information.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/manchin-narrows-his-demands-on-voting-legislation-bringing-democrats-closer-to-unity/2021/06/16/f588093e-cec4-11eb-8014-2f3926ca24d9_story.html

15 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Biden takes Georgia to court over voting rights: AG Merrick Garland announces Justice Department to sue state for its 'restrictive' bill

44678009-0-image-a-43_1624635141832.jpg

The Justice Department is suing the state of Georgia over its new voting law that critics say make it harder for African Americans to vote.  

Section 2 is a general provision that prohibits every state and local government from imposing any voting law that results in discrimination against racial or language minorities.  (Wiki).  To me the keys here are "results in"  and "any."  Both are very broad.

This provision is permanent and has not been found unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.  The provisions that the Supreme Court terminated were ones that already had an expiration date.

It has been used to restrict at large voting.  Not sure how successful that is since S.C. has had at large voting for decades for school boards and municipalities, if not others.  Law in S.C. is that each municipality can be determine its system with a vote of the people.  3 choices:  councilmember must reside in district and only voters in that district get to vote for that seat; councilmemember must reside in district, but all voters get to vote for all councilmembers; councilmembers are at large and voting is by all voters (seldom used).  Also, if first or second method is used, there is NO requirement that district boundaries ever be redrawn.  To my knowledge this system has never been challenged - and it should be.

I believe the following is the actual Act or law.  Could be wrong though.

§10301. Denial or abridgement of right to vote on account of race or color through voting qualifications or prerequisites; establishment of violation

(a) No voting qualification or prerequisite to voting or standard, practice, or procedure shall be imposed or applied by any State or political subdivision in a manner which results in a denial or abridgement of the right of any citizen of the United States to vote on account of race or color, or in contravention of the guarantees set forth in section 10303(f)(2) of this title, as provided in subsection (b).

(b) A violation of subsection (a) is established if, based on the totality of circumstances, it is shown that the political processes leading to nomination or election in the State or political subdivision are not equally open to participation by members of a class of citizens protected by subsection (a) in that its members have less opportunity than other members of the electorate to participate in the political process and to elect representatives of their choice. The extent to which members of a protected class have been elected to office in the State or political subdivision is one circumstance which may be considered: Provided, That nothing in this section establishes a right to have members of a protected class elected in numbers equal to their proportion in the population.https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=(title:52 section:10301 edition:prelim)

• Like 1
On 6/25/2021 at 12:47 PM, ElCid said:

To my knowledge this system has never been challenged - and it should be.

Nice write up!     As for the above:  I assume when something isn't legally challenged,  that those with legal standing to challenge,  were informed by lawyers they didn't have a case and if they did go to court and the court ruled against them,   an unintended consequence would be other jurisdictions implementing such a system.

As for the various count challenges of GOP state voting laws\rules\practices:     The difficult part is showing that these harm a specific group (e.g.  black Americans),   more so than other groups.       Theory isn't of much help in winning a lawsuit.    Having evidence is and getting such evidence is hard when it comes to voting.   

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Nice write up!     As for the above:  I assume when something isn't legally challenged,  that those with legal standing to challenge,  were informed by lawyers they didn't have a case and if they did go to court and the court ruled against them,   an unintended consequence would be other jurisdictions implementing such a system.

As for the various count challenges of GOP state voting laws\rules\practices:     The difficult part is showing that these harm a specific group (e.g.  black Americans),   more so than other groups.       Theory isn't of much help in winning a lawsuit.    Having evidence is and getting such evidence is hard when it comes to voting.   

I don't disagree with the Court's decision in the AZ case.  While it would be nice if others could collect mail-in ballots, I can also see where this might be a problem. As for as voting out of precinct, I guess this goes under Constitutional provisions that elections are up to states.  Although, I don't personally see the problem unless voting for candidates in a precinct election other than your own.  My small town has two precincts and if someone shows up at the wrong one, they are not allowed to vote but must go to the other one (one mile away).  So, it has probably been prohibited in a lot of places already.

Worth noting, that these are not new AZ laws, but rather ones that already existed.

To a great extent, we must hold the voters responsible for registering and voting in a proper and timely manner.  Waiting until election day to register should not be allowed.  I have no problem with an organization sending around buses or other vehicles on election day to transport voters.

What is really needed is commonsense rules.  Both sides are wanting too much.  Incidentally, I have been a Democrat for the last 50+ years.

" I assume when something isn't legally challenged,  that those with legal standing to challenge,  were informed by lawyers they didn't have a case and if they did go to court and the court ruled against them,   an unintended consequence would be other jurisdictions implementing such a system."  Not sure what you meant by this statement?  Not too many lawyers would inform a potential client that they did not have legal standing when they actually did.  Too many billable hours missed.  Lawyers are always ready to file suits.

• Like 1

header-classics@3x.png

The Fragility of American Democracy

The crisis of American democracy hardly ended with last November’s election. And it has a lengthy history. Not long ago, Jelani Cobb wrote a Daily Comment about the parallels between America’s abiding legacy of racial injustice and its enduring antidemocratic movements. The attacks and campaigns that have disenfranchised Black Americans for centuries weren’t only expressions of racism, he observes, but “a gleeful expression of defiance toward a government that dared try to uphold democracy.” As he notes, there is a clear link between the nation’s racial hypocrisy and its autocratic leanings.

This Fourth of July weekend, we’re bringing you a selection of pieces about the fragility of our political system. In “What We Get Wrong About America’s Crisis of Democracy,” Adam Gopnik explores the enduring appeal of authoritarianism. In “People Power,” Jill Lepore considers the evolution of the American experiment in democracy. In “The Republicans’ Wild Assault on Voting Rights in Texas and Arizona,” Sue Halpern reports on new restrictions and the broad attempt to suppress ballot access and undermine the democratic process itself. And, finally, in a remarkable piece of reporting, “Among the Insurrectionists,” Luke Mogelson provides a portrait of the ragtag yet dangerous movement that attacked the Capitol just six months ago: “The sky darkened. At 8 p.m., Congress reconvened and resumed certifying the election. For six hours, Americans had held democracy hostage in the name of patriotism.”

—David Remnick

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

it's inhuman! he'll scare Trump terribly.

:o:lol:

He campaigned from his basement and still beat the loser.

• Haha 1