Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How Would You Organize 31 Days Of Oscar 2021

12 hours ago, TheOneandOnlyCritic2000 said:

I don't understand why they don't at least show the 1st one up there, it's such an important film, great choice.

Pretty sure it’s a rights issue thing. It seems like AMC and digital streaming services are the ones who get dibs on THE GODFATHER TRILOGY. (And then AMC goes and edits 45 minutes out and loads it with erectile dysfunction commercials.)

(THE GODFATHER trilogy were all Paramount films, and for whatever reason paramount absolutely hates TCM and very rarely leases films they own to them, The only paramount films TCM ever shows are the ones that they sold the rights to to Universal back in the 50s.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

(Sorry, I accidentally quoted myself above and then couldn’t figure out how to delete it.)

I would organize 31 days of Oscar to include only films that were never nominated for an Oscar. Or maybe just include one second from each of the best picture winners so the whole thing came out to be about a minute and a half long.

or just TOOTSIE on a loop for 31 days. 

(Sorry not sorry, I hate 31 days of Oscar)

• Haha 2

How about the Un-Oscars? Highlight some of the performances that SHOULD have been nominated. Off the top of my head:

Fred MacMurray and Edward G. Robinson in Double Indemnity

Kay Francis and William Powell in One Way Passage

Marion Davies in Peg o' My Heart

Judy Davis in My Brilliant Career

Rita Hayworth in Gilda

Ida Lupino in They Drive by Night

Ann Miller in Kiss Me Kate

Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, and Mary Boland in The Women

Humphrey Bogart in To Have and Have Not

Kim Novak in Picnic and Vertigo

Herbert Marshall in The Little Foxes

Miriam Hopkins in 24 Hours

Richard Barthelmess in The Dawn Patrol

etc.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Millenniumman said:

Wasn't  aware of the paramount conflict and yeah every year amc ruins my thanksgiving.

I let them ruin my HALLOWEEN once. The 1931 version of FRANKENSTEIN. They interrupted the CREATION SCENE twice for 5 minute commercial breaks. NEVER AGAIN.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Sorry, I accidentally quoted myself above and then couldn’t figure out how to delete it.)

I would organize 31 days of Oscar to include only films that were never nominated for an Oscar. Or maybe just include one second from each of the best picture winners so the whole thing came out to be about a minute and a half long.

or just TOOTSIE on a loop for 31 days. 

(Sorry not sorry, I hate 31 days of Oscar)

LOL. You're back!

Sure.  There should be plenty on hand for that.  And since practical videotape was finally developed by 1959, they probably could go THAT far back.  Anything earlier was either filmed and/or "Kinescoped"  and might not be readily available.  But that's just a guess.....

Sepiatone

5 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sure.  There should be plenty on hand for that.  And since practical videotape was finally developed by 1959, they probably could go THAT far back.  Anything earlier was either filmed and/or "Kinescoped"  and might not be readily available.  But that's just a guess.....

Sepiatone

You'd only be missing 6 or 7 telecasts if the kinescopes aren't available, as the first telecast was in 1953.   Did any organization film the awards from start to finish before TV coverage started?  I know newsreel clips and the like are available.

Of course, the early awards were true awards ceremonies, and not a commercial-laden variety show wrapped around an awards presentation.  The first ceremony took all of 5 minutes (and the winners were already known).

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

You'd only be missing 6 or 7 telecasts if the kinescopes aren't available, as the first telecast was in 1953.   Did any organization film the awards from start to finish before TV coverage started?  I know newsreel clips and the like are available.

I've watched some of the 1953 show (which honored films made in 1952) on youtube. they did a FRIENDS OF OSCAR thing where they brought back former winners like the later much-mocked OSCAR'S FAMILY ALBUM (which I enjoyed when they did it in 1998)

it really would be a game-changer for them to show ALL THE OSCAR CEREMONIES PAST, but I'm not sure if there are not some copyright/waver of appearance issues with some of the stars/songs/music involved. (film clips too)

it would be SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING THAN BEN-HUR FOR THE N-THOUSANDTH GD TIME THOUGH

• Like 2

I don't dislike the idea of celebrating the Oscars, but having it 24/7 for the entire month of February (and into March!) is too much.  Maybe they could split the difference and just do it during the day or something--and do something else at night.  I like many of the Oscar-winning films, but I've seen a lot of them.  And the problem with doing this marathon every single year is that there are only a finite group of Oscar-winning and nominated films.  The pool to choose from is small. 

Poor February birthdays like Ida Lupino and Ann Sheridan... I'd like to see them get a primetime or day time tribute.