Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, I went and did it...again...and again.

so,

in April of this year, I completed my first screenplay. I had poked around at writing them before and never been able to bring myself to finish it.

it was not entirely unlike giving birth to a child, i say this as a childless man, so take that for what it's worth, but i look at this 206 page thing I brought into this world and could not help but feel the same sort of pride that I imagine one has when one looks upon a child. I also enjoyed doing it and it did something I did not think was possible- it made me love the genre of CLASSIC HORROR more than I already did. (It is an homage)

And then I went back to 260(?) pages of A mess i had been working on before I was struck with the IDEA for my previous project- a retelling of a classic screwball comedy with a gender switch. 

I went and whittled it down to 212 pages and- while I did not enjoy writing it hALFSOMUCH as the first one- I still came to love it the way one does the more difficult of the two children.

And then when I was done with it, I realized that THE WORLD WAS IN A MESS and that DOING THIS WAS KEEPING ME SANE especially since, now, I can't GO TO THE GYM AND am forced for reasons other than ugliness to be celibate...

So i went back to an attempt I had made at adapting an obscure book by one of my favorite authors. it was 40 pages and I didn't hate it. so i dove in.

so I 've been working on it and I managed to FINISH IT in about SIX WEEKS. and it's 153 PAGES, WHICH IS QUITE NICE BECAUSE I AM THE GEORGE ELIOT OF AMATEUR SCREENWRITERS. MY **** IS TOO DAMN LONG.

anyhow, i need to decide on something to write next so I don't lose my mind entirely.

BIG THANKS to the TWO POSTERS who put up with my sharing MARCEL PROUST-LEVELS of what I can imagine was the most unwanted of correspondences (I kid) to vent as I wrote.

now I just have to deal with the anxiety of worrying if anything will ever happen with it.

third time a charm?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

so,

in April of this year, I completed my first screenplay. I had poked around at writing them before and never been able to bring myself to finish it.

it was not entirely unlike giving birth to a child, i say this as a childless man, so take that for what it's worth, but i look at this 206 page thing I brought into this world and could not help but feel the same sort of pride that I imagine one has when one looks upon a child. I also enjoyed doing it and it did something I did not think was possible- it made me love the genre of CLASSIC HORROR more than I already did. (It is an homage)

And then I went back to 260(?) pages of A mess i had been working on before I was struck with the IDEA for my previous project- a retelling of a classic screwball comedy with a gender switch. 

I went and whittled it down to 212 pages and- while I did not enjoy writing it hALFSOMUCH as the first one- I still came to love it the way one does the more difficult of the two children.

And then when I was done with it, I realized that THE WORLD WAS IN A MESS and that DOING THIS WAS KEEPING ME SANE especially since, now, I can't GO TO THE GYM AND am forced for reasons other than ugliness to be celibate...

So i went back to an attempt I had made at adapting an obscure book by one of my favorite authors. it was 40 pages and I didn't hate it. so i dove in.

so I 've been working on it and I managed to FINISH IT in about SIX WEEKS. and it's 153 PAGES, WHICH IS QUITE NICE BECAUSE I AM THE GEORGE ELIOT OF AMATEUR SCREENWRITERS. MY **** IS TOO DAMN LONG.

anyhow, i need to decide on something to write next so I don't lose my mind entirely.

BIG THANKS to the TWO POSTERS who put up with my sharing MARCEL PROUST-LEVELS of what I can imagine was the most unwanted of correspondences (I kid) to vent as I wrote.

now I just have to deal with the anxiety of worrying if anything will ever happen with it.

third time a charm?

Congratulations and good luck!

• Like 1

That's wonderful!  I've tried writing and my problem is in the fleshing out.  My finished work is little more than the outline.  So be glad you can actually develop your work and write that elusive thing called dialogue.  Besides "Middlemarch" is one of my favorite novels.  If it's good we want it to last!

BTW  I just watched "The Damned Don't Cry" and there before me was LORNA HANSON FORBE!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

so,

Good luck and a bright future!      But I also just got done watching TCM and some Joan films.    We must all remember The Dammed Don't Cry!   (they make their own luck!).

Film Noir of the Week: The Damned Don't Cry (1950)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Lovely work, Lorna. I hope your star shoots up the skies!

(particularly like how you draw men as ole square-heads)

I have the easiest time drawing women and the female figure, but I have a really hard time drawing men. Seriously it took so many drafts to get that guy’s butt right, which is all kinds of ironic for me because I’m FAR more researched in the masculine form.

Well, as one who's dabbled in both art and cartooning, I know feet are difficult.  But SHOES aren't that hard(especially since they can be as ambiguously drawn as the figures).  But good work nonetheless.

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, as one who's dabbled in both art and cartooning, I know feet are difficult.  But SHOES aren't that hard(especially since they can be as ambiguously drawn as the figures).  But good work nonetheless.

Sepiatone

Wait, are my shoes bad? They’re one of the few things I’m not critical of in my drawing. 
(I draw certain scenes from whatever I’m writing because it helps me get ideas about all sorts of things In re: the story, not so much cause I’m a great artistic talent.)

19 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

Besides "Middlemarch" is one of my favorite novels.  If it's good we want it to last!

I LOVE THE MILL ON THE FLOSS, I really like ADAM BEDE (and have actually considered writing a modern day retelling of it), ditto SILAS MARNER (until someone told me STEVE MARTIN of all people already had!) and I didn't hate DANIEL DERONDA, although- Jesus, that book needed to be 400 pages shorter. I'm fine with FELIX HOLT: THE RADICAL.

George Eliot is one of my favorite authors.

looks left.

looks right.

can you keep a secret?

I can't get more than 100 pages into MIDDLEMARCH, and I keep hearing great things about it. I even tried listening to it as an AUDIOBOOK and the person reading it SUCKS.

maybe one day....

• Haha 1

I feel kind of lost now that I'm between projects. I need to find something to start work on.

I would on my lesbian version of PAT AND MIKE if I knew more about GOLF and LESBIANS.

I also lean towards a retelling of PETER IBBETSON set during the WILMINGTON, NC MASSACRE of 1898. But that is gonna take research.

I have another idea, it's kinda farfetched as a scenario tho, but it would be original tho.

57 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

AUDIOBOOK and the person reading it SUCKS.

Every audiobook I've ever tried has had a terrible reader.  I don't get it.

I've always wanted someone to do a really good docudrama about Aimee Semple Mcpherson or  Brownie Wise the woman who invented the  party sales for Tupperware and then got screwed over by the inventor.  Love those larger than life women.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

Every audiobook I've ever tried has had a terrible reader.  I don't get it.

I literally came across this article just now, which could not prove your point any more thoroughly. I seriously recommend reading the entire article and also listening to the horrible, horrible job this guy did reading this woman’s audiobook in some kind of halfassed patois.

https://www.theroot.com/publisher-hires-white-man-to-narrate-black-womans-outka-1845762312

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I would on my lesbian version of PAT AND MIKE if I knew more about GOLF and LESBIANS.

I'd suggest it doesn't have to be LESBIANS necessarily(Pat and Mike can be guys too)  And just watching ten minutes of a golf tournament will tell you all you need to know about it.  There's really never much(if any) difference from game to game, and hole to hole.  Take it from an ex caddy.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I'd suggest it doesn't have to be LESBIANS necessarily(Pat and Mike can be guys too)  And just watching ten minutes of a golf tournament will tell you all you need to know about it.  There's really never much(if any) difference from game to game, and hole to hole.  Take it from an ex caddy.

Sepiatone

Thank you!

Maybe I should....that way all i have to do is read up on GOLF.

ps- I may be pming you for advice.

On 11/25/2020 at 8:07 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Film Noir of the Week: The Damned Don't Cry (1950)

I don;t know WHY, but when they used the above THUMBNAIL to represent THE DAMNED DON'T CRY in their ON-DEMAND LINE-UP on HULU, TCM blocked the words and there's just a plain white square there.

it broke my heart a little, especially since "CALL ME CHEAP?!" would make almost as good (and certainly as accurate) a title for THE DAMNED DON'T CRY.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1