Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

James Bond is not Healthy for Women and Other Living Things.

From the beginning of the series, it's been remarked the toll James Bond takes on women.  Though he never kills any, I believe, association with him often proves fatal.  Of course, he's responsible for the deaths of a lot of men, too, and quite directly.  But they are almost all bad guys who should expect as much considering their line of work.  I am led to wonder if anyone ever made a tally of the casualties.  I also wonder if the body count lessened over time, as misogyny levels tempered in Hollywood, or the fears of appearing so increased.

Actually, he shoots the woman in "The World Is Not Enough".

If you wanted to know the number of women he is supposed to have bedded, my friends and I have gone over that many times. 😄 It is remarked in some of the films that he can't protect his women.

Bond is a compulsive gambler, drunk and a womanizer. He's not healthy for anyone. I see it as what he has to be to be able to shoot people for a living. No rational human could do that job for any length of time. He would go mad or end up in a cabin in the woods.

Being a fictional literary and movie character CAN'T be easy, so we'll have to allow him some latitude.   After all, his behavior is in the hands  of whomever writes the manuscripts or screenplays.  Blame THEM, and leave poor James alone!  :angry:   

:D

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

If you wanted to know the number of women he is supposed to have bedded, my friends and I have gone over that many times. 😄 It is remarked in some of the films that he can't protect his women.

Bond is a compulsive gambler, drunk and a womanizer. He's not healthy for anyone. I see it as what he has to be to be able to shoot people for a living. No rational human could do that job for any length of time. He would go mad or end up in a cabin in the woods.

nobody gives a sheet about them later losers...

only Connery and Moore are relevant.

:)

The one that sticks out in my mind is Jane Seymour's character, Solitaire,  in "Live and Let Die". Bond deceives and seduces Solitaire. Losing her virginity means she also loses her ability to see the future, meaning that she is in danger if the crime boss finds out. Bond gets his rocks off and Solitaire is out of Bond's  life by the next film, probably spending the rest of her life working at Woolworth's, until Walmart comes along.  And, yes, I know it's just a movie. 

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

The one that sticks out in my mind is Jane Seymour's character, Solitaire,  in "Live and Let Die". Bond deceives and seduces Solitaire. Losing her virginity means she also loses her ability to see the future, meaning that she is in danger if the crime boss finds out. Bond gets his rocks off and Solitaire is out of Bond's  life by the next film, probably spending the rest of her life working at Woolworth's, until Walmart comes along.  And, yes, I know it's just a movie. 

a black guy keeping a virginal white woman around to read tarot cards.

:lol:

9 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

More likely, a dealer in Vegas.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Dealing with Goldfinger, he might have had Odd Job take her out so she could never tell about his cheating at cards.

A quick easy decapitation by an airborn spinning bowler hat just might have been preferable to slow suffication by body paint, I suppose.

(...the latter of which of course isn't really possible)

1 hour ago, mister37 said:

Especially Connery. He was far too sure of himself to ever worry about any of this.

True, there are few things in life more seductive than someone with self-confidence.

JUST as long as there's a history of competence behind them to support this feeling of theirs.

For without that history, they become more a joke than seductive.

TO those who aren't easily deceived, anyway.

(...this and more of these little bon mots of mine can be found in my upcoming book, "I Was A Teenaged Smart*** And Still Am Fifty Years Later")

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Dealing with Goldfinger, he might have had Odd Job take her out so she could never tell about his cheating at cards.

You get an A for effort.  I stick to what happens in the movie.  Women who come into contact with Bond have a high mortality rate.

On 11/25/2020 at 11:30 PM, GGGGerald said:

He also shoots a helicopter with the villain's female assistant out of the sky in The Spy Who Loved Me and kills another in GoldenEye. But it is definitely true that Bond killing women was very, very rare.