Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

your thanksgiving dinner

I've never been too big on traditional thanksgiving food like cranberry sauce and turkey.. I do like stuffing and mashed potatoes though.

so for brunch today milk and a nestle's crunch bar or two then tonite an acme shepherd pie and the 2nd half of a meatball sub I ordered yesterday.

:)

I love your fictional menus Nip.

I have it on good authority that you are really an emaciated 82 lbs and can barely type so your cousin Bertha Jo Thudpucker is posting the comments you dictate to her from your bed.

Oh, sorry, let me step out of the way. The nurse is coming in to adjust your feeding tube. :) 

Happy Cranksgiving Nip!

• Haha 1

This year I was asked to bring the green bean casserole.  Never made it before.  Surprisingly, it actually turned out to be EDIBLE!  :o  :D 

Still no MINCED MEAT pie!   And, just what IS that stuff anyway?

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

This year I was asked to bring the green bean casserole.  Never made it before.  Surprisingly, it actually turned out to be EDIBLE!  :o  :D 

Still no MINCED MEAT pie!   And, just what IS that stuff anyway?

Sepiatone

Mincemeat is a classic pie flavor that traditionally contains fruit, pecans, brandy and citrus zest. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Mincemeat is a classic pie flavor that traditionally contains fruit, pecans, brandy and citrus zest. 

Yeah, well I never did like it, which made my brother happy because he just LOVED it and it meant more for him!  ;) 

But for years(decades maybe) it was a Thanksgiving tradition in our family, and over the years I discovered in many other family's holiday traditions too.

I've never heard ANYONE refer to apple pie as a "traditional" Thanksgiving dessert until about 10-15 years ago.  

Sepiatone

No thread for this, but my wife's youngest sister's birthday  is Dec. 7th!  

But she was born years later('52).

But each family does celebrate Thanksgiving with their own "traditions".  I remember when I was still somewhat a new hire at Cadillac, a black guy I worked with thought things like roast turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie was not only ludicrous, but unappetizing too.  HIS family's "traditional" Thanksgiving(he said) consisted of---

Chitlins;

Macaroni and cheese;

Potato salad;

Sweet potato pie.

:o

I had never heard of sweet potato pie, but I like sweet potatoes, so it didn't sound unpleasant to me.  And eventually having tried it, wound up liking it very much.  :)

And, HAM.......

I'll only use Cool Whip when the "real thing" isn't available.  But this year, at Aldi's, I discovered PUMPKIN SPICE whipped topping.  Bought a can for my daughter, and she'll get back with me if it's any good.

Sepiatone

I made TWO complete Thanksgiving meals this year.  One I made last Sunday, for my people at work.  Due to neither the lunchroom nor the conference room being big enough for us to be there while socially distanced, I divided the meal in two, taking half for one group on Monday, the rest on Tuesday.   Everybody seemed to like it, although I thought the huge turkey came out too dry.  I even made a vegan Green Bean Casserole for a couple of my workers, which meant I also made a vegan cream of mushroom soup.  Tasted ok.   I will probably make the remaining turkey in mole today.

Thursday, made everything again, except for the vegan Green Bean Casserole.  This I do every year, for myself and whatever roommate(s) I may have.  Usually I celebrate it at one brother’s house, who makes turkey and ham also.  I usually take a side and dessert.  At the end, I’d get a skimpy plate of leftovers.  This is why I started making my own bird and ham.   This way, I get all the leftovers I want.  Well the bird was substantially smaller, at 12 lbs it was almost half the size of the first one.  It came out much moister then the previous one.   

I didn’t meet up with family this year, although I went to all my siblings’ houses to drop off desserts.  This is the first time I didn’t get together with my family on this day since my first year of marriage, many years ago.  Then my wife insisted I do her family thing.  As more recent arrivals from Mexico than my family, they had pozole as their main dish.  I LOVE pozole, but Not on Thanksgiving.  It’s traditional on Christmas, but I can eat or make it any time of year.  Just not Thanksgiving.  Needless to say, I never again spent Thanksgiving with my in-laws, except maybe after my family’s celebration was over. 

Hopefully next year, with a new president who takes the virus seriously, and vaccines readily available, I can again celebrate the day with my family.

• Like 1
On 11/26/2020 at 12:56 PM, TopBilled said:

I love your fictional menus Nip.

I have it on good authority that you are really an emaciated 82 lbs and can barely type so your cousin Bertha Jo Thudpucker is posting the comments you dictate to her from your bed.

Oh, sorry, let me step out of the way. The nurse is coming in to adjust your feeding tube. :) 

Happy Cranksgiving Nip!

I think Nip is more like Ayllene Gibbons in The Loved One!

1380679478_2.jpg

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, Allhallowsday said:

And what a movie!  What a cast!  Hilarious, disturbing, distracting... that's a special one. 

I don't think I've seen it all the way through. Guess I'll have to give it another chance.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think I've seen it all the way through. Guess I'll have to give it another chance.

LIBERACE as a salesman for the funeral parlor is unforgettable.  JONATHAN WINTERS plays brothers one of whom is secretly  satanic!   Even PAUL WILLIAMS is in there!  Lots of interesting "cameos"

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

LIBERACE as a salesman for the funeral parlor is unforgettable.  JONATHAN WINTERS plays brothers one of whom is secretly  satanic!   Even PAUL WILLIAMS is in there!  Lots of interesting "cameos"

Yeah, definitely some interesting casting.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

I've only seen it once, and that was probably enough.  It was a late night offering at the TCMFF a few years back.  The bonus was that Robert Morse was in attendance to discuss it.

Cool! 

I was indifferent to it also, but TCM has broadcast it enough that I've seen it a few times.  It definitely gets better with repeated viewings.  But, it is one damned creepy story...