Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Democrats feuding over who Biden will pick as agriculture secretary

A fight is breaking out among Democrats over who President-elect Joe Biden should choose for agriculture secretary, with one of his key allies advocating for an African American lawmaker to head the department and refocus it on hunger rather than rural America.

South Carolina Rep. James Clyburn has pushed Biden to tap Ohio Rep. Marcia Fudge, a Democrat, to fill the position, lobbying for her with two of the president-elect's closest advisers, according to The New York Times. Clyburn has also discussed the matter with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

“I feel very strongly,” Clyburn told the Times. “It’s time for Democrats to treat the Department of Agriculture as the kind of department it purports to be."

Fudge leads the nutrition and oversight panel on the House Agriculture Committee.

But the matter is complicated, as two of Biden's allies -- Heidi Heitkamp, a former North Dakota senator, and Tom Vilsack, the former Iowa governor who served as agriculture secretary for President Barack Obama -- are also being considered for the job.

The South Carolina Democrat maintained the Agriculture Department has for too long seemed to "favor big farming interests” over less wealthy people, whether they be “little farmers in Clarendon County, S.C., or food stamp recipients in Cleveland, Ohio,” Fudge's hometown.

“I’m sick and tired of people saying that rural America is only Nebraska and Iowa,” Clyburn told The New York Post. “Rural America is South Carolina, it’s Mississippi, it’s Alabama. It’s Georgia. It was Black rural voters who helped Biden carry Georgia in the general election."

Clyburn also pushed back against the idea that Biden may pick Vilsack, echoing complaints that the former vice president will represent a third Obama administration.

Democrats are already starting to crumble, they are actually fighting over the department of Agriculture about who gets to dole out the money.

1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

Topbilled you are the last person who should be questioning  how many times people post. You have added more in the last two months than I have done in ten years, and 99% of it couldn't melt butter.

MM,

I am not questioning how many times people post. I enjoy a lively and eventful discussion. So I like to see "busy" threads and a lot of posting.

However, my concern is a lot of the threads that are being created are just very repetitive and could probably be housed under one big "Republicans Hate Biden" thread.

It's almost like some of you think that if you create an endless amount of threads against a certain politician it will prevent him from being an elected official. LOL

If you were going more in-depth and discussing different ideas, that would be much better in my opinion.

Again my concern has more to do with the extreme repetitiveness of some threads and that they could probably be merged.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

he should pick Hank Kimball who can talk to weeds at the Ofor place.

Alvy Moore - Mr. Wonderful of Hollywood...and Evansville -produced by John  Baburnich Evansville Boneyard vanderburgh history

Unfortunately, neither you nor hanradio’s sugestions   will  fly wiill Biden.  Unlike Trump , Biden will pick fully competent people that are subject matter experts in their appointed fields.  Trump, otoh, often picked people for their partisan loyalty to him, or he happened to see them on tv.  Usually incompetent and unknowledgeable  at best, or at worst, actively hostile to the mission of their appointments.  Thank God for Biden’s landslide win, because the country couldn’t survive another 4 years of Trump and his cronies!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

A fight is breaking out among Democrats over who President-elect Joe Biden should choose for agriculture secretary, with one of his key allies advocating for an African American lawmaker to head the department and refocus it on hunger rather than rural America.

South Carolina Rep. James Clyburn has pushed Biden to tap Ohio Rep. Marcia Fudge, a Democrat, to fill the position, lobbying for her with two of the president-elect's closest advisers, according to The New York Times. Clyburn has also discussed the matter with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

“I feel very strongly,” Clyburn told the Times. “It’s time for Democrats to treat the Department of Agriculture as the kind of department it purports to be."

Fudge leads the nutrition and oversight panel on the House Agriculture Committee.

But the matter is complicated, as two of Biden's allies -- Heidi Heitkamp, a former North Dakota senator, and Tom Vilsack, the former Iowa governor who served as agriculture secretary for President Barack Obama -- are also being considered for the job.

The South Carolina Democrat maintained the Agriculture Department has for too long seemed to "favor big farming interests” over less wealthy people, whether they be “little farmers in Clarendon County, S.C., or food stamp recipients in Cleveland, Ohio,” Fudge's hometown.

“I’m sick and tired of people saying that rural America is only Nebraska and Iowa,” Clyburn told The New York Post. “Rural America is South Carolina, it’s Mississippi, it’s Alabama. It’s Georgia. It was Black rural voters who helped Biden carry Georgia in the general election."

Clyburn also pushed back against the idea that Biden may pick Vilsack, echoing complaints that the former vice president will represent a third Obama administration.

Democrats are already starting to crumble, they are actually fighting over the department of Agriculture about who gets to dole out the money.

white devil hayseeds get first divs.

:)