Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MeTV Cartoon Saturdays

1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

Anybody have any comment on this? 

Beginning in January MeTV  is bringing back cartoons on Saturday mornings. One can only hope that Hercules will be included...

All comedies.  WB, Tom & Jerry and Popeye, at least at first.

It's supposed to be a hosted show, but with COVID, who knows what will happen...

TCM shows "Popeye" each Saturday morning.  MeTV shows "The Flintstones" and has been advertising "Looney Tunes" as coming soon.  I wish someone would show "Rocky & Bullwinkle".  I'm not much on cartoons, but I did watch reruns of that with my dad.  So that one would be fun to see again.

Lori

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

TCM shows "Popeye" each Saturday morning.  MeTV shows "The Flintstones" and has been advertising "Looney Tunes" as coming soon.  I wish someone would show "Rocky & Bullwinkle".  I'm not much on cartoons, but I did watch reruns of that with my dad.  So that one would be fun to see again.

Lori

Oh yeah, Lori Ann. I also wouldn't mind getting reacquainted with the saga of the "Kirwood Derby" and other assorted such storylines, or of that noted institution of higher learning "Wossamotta U", either! 

(...not to mention the tails, ahem, I mean tales of that genius dog and his adopted boy who travel through time)   

;)

• Like 3

While I enjoyed Sat morning cartoons, the real draw was later with the Saturday Matinee of monster/children's movies: Cormans, Castles & Foreign fantasy films, oh my! I first saw the fabulous Russian THE SNOW QUEEN '57 on a Saturday afternoon.

The_Snow_Queen_1957.jpg

I like that TCM continues this tradition with a great Saturday line up of cartoons & fun serials & Bs.

• Like 1

Cartoons did change over time.  What I watched Saturday mornings differed greatly from what my kid sister(13 years my junior) watched.  One of her favorites was one called "Grape Ape".  

I remember one morning waking up and while lying there in languid drowsiness, heard what to me sounded like--- "RAPE APE!"  You know,  from the TV in a room ten feet away and through a closed door.  ;)   Made me wonder, "What the hell are kids watching these days?"  :D   Yeah.  Kids.  And at the time, I was 17.

Sepiatone

18 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

Lori

Oh, I thought the same thing! I would love to see the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show again. After everything that's been going on this year, the happy days of the Cold War seems so... so... small. 

Good ol' Bullwinkle who studied at the Watchmaker's University, otherwise known as Tick Tock Tech!

• Like 3

And speaking of our youth and the Saturday morning TV fare we watched back then.

Anyone remember these Rocky and Bullwinkle bubble bath containers that were sold in the soap section of supermarkets in the mid-'60s?...4ba9bf25029380f95ebcf213aa760335.jpg

(...I do...I had my mother purchase them whenever I accompanied her to the store...yeah yeah, I was a spoiled brat, so what of it?!)  ;)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dargo said:

And speaking of our youth and the Saturday morning TV fare we watched back then.

Anyone remember these Rocky and Bullwinkle bubble bath containers that were sold in the soap section of supermarkets in the mid-'60s?...4ba9bf25029380f95ebcf213aa760335.jpg

(...I do...I had my mother purchase them whenever I accompanied her to the store...yeah yeah, I was a spoiled brat, so what of it?!)  ;)

Oh, no! Not that!

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

What Janet? The idea of these bubble bath containers?

(...or the idea that I was a spoiled kid?)  ;)

LOL! maybe both. No, in all honesty, it was the Mr. Bubble containers. I seem to remember spraying foam on the tile wall, but I can't remember why...

11 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

LOL! maybe both. No, in all honesty, it was the Mr. Bubble containers. I seem to remember spraying foam on the tile wall, but I can't remember why...

Yeah, Mr. Bubble would have been introduced at about the same era as I recall, but because I loved the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show as much as I did back then, I remember thinking how cool it was that they made bubble bath in those containers and so bugged my mom to buy those instead.

(...as I recall, I must have had at least half a dozen of 'em before becoming more the showering sort as I grew)

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Anyone remember these Rocky and Bullwinkle bubble bath containers that were sold in the soap section of supermarkets in the mid-'60s?...

Not a spoiled brat. Back then, you could treat a kid to an indulgence for what-maybe 89¢ on a $300/week salary? Nowadays kids are begging for (expect) electronics that cost more than two week's salary. Talk about uneven inflation.

Yes, I was a cartoon junkie as a child. I had to be dragged out of bed to go to school, but on Saturday mornings I was up at the break of dawn to see my favorite cartoons. One thing I wonder about: now that MeTV is going to show Popeye cartoons, will King Features Syndicate ever put the Popeye cartoons from the early Sixties back in circulation? I miss the Sea Hag (Popeye's worst nemesis ever). Has King Features buried those cartoons in a vault, never to be seen again?

19 minutes ago, skipd55 said:

Yes, I was a cartoon junkie as a child. I had to be dragged out of bed to go to school, but on Saturday mornings I was up at the break of dawn to see my favorite cartoons. One thing I wonder about: now that MeTV is going to show Popeye cartoons, will King Features Syndicate ever put the Popeye cartoons from the early Sixties back in circulation? I miss the Sea Hag (Popeye's worst nemesis ever). Has King Features buried those cartoons in a vault, never to be seen again?

(remembers having seen what I had believed to had been some "Popeye" cartoons originally produced by a certain King Features Syndicate being broadcast through a certain channel for a certain Internet video service named Pluto TV before the time in which I had this message posted onto this site earlier this calendar year)

• Thanks 1
On 11/29/2020 at 9:34 AM, skipd55 said:

(remembers having seen what I had believed to had been some copies of some "Popeye" cartoons originally produced by a certain King Features Syndicate through certain Internet video services named YouTube and Tubi before the time in which I had this message posted onto this site earlier this calendar year (note: the same services also appeared to have had some copies of some "Popeye" cartoons originally produced by a certain Hanna-Barbera, a certain Wild Brain Entertainment, a certain Fleischer Studio, and a certain Famous Studios during the same time) 

On 11/29/2020 at 7:15 AM, TikiSoo said:

Not a spoiled brat. Back then, you could treat a kid to an indulgence for what-maybe 89¢ on a $300/week salary? Nowadays kids are begging for (expect) electronics that cost more than two week's salary. Talk about uneven inflation.

:o  Are you talking late '50's/early '60's here TIKI?  Apparently, your family was doing MUCH better than the blue collar/ steel mill and autoworking Dads in my neck of the woods, who 'round then were pulling down  $80-$100 a week for 40 hours, TOPS! (and the mill workers only got paid every TWO weeks).  And even then 89 cents wasn't much, but most of us had those parents who grew up during the depression, and we'd get a history lesson any time we asked for as little as a dime!  :huh:

But, like DARG, I too was(and still am) a Rocky and Bullwinkle freak.  Never hador wanted the Mr. Bubble containers as me and my buddies considered bubble baths to be "sissy" stuff(sorry, Darg).  In fact, getting me into the tub for a bath was a major chore which my Mother recalled,  "Each time you'd finally get into a bathtub for a bath I worried about the sewers backing up and flooding the streets with the amount of dirt that'd come off."  ;) 

Yeah....  MAD magazine, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Looney Toons.  I wouldn't have traded my childhood for anything.   And who also recalls watching THIS girl's 'toons Saturday mornings? (IF your local stations carried her?)  

or------

Sepiatone

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And who also recalls watching THIS girl's 'toons Saturday mornings? (IF your local stations carried her?)  

(remembers having seen certain animated cartoons (such as a longer version of the one in the video directly above this message ("A Bout with a Trout")) involving the character in red clothing in the video above this message only through certain videocassettes in years past)