Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MeTV Cartoon Saturdays

8 hours ago, Mario500 said:

(remembers having seen what I had believed to had been some copies of some "Popeye" cartoons originally produced by a certain King Features Syndicate through certain Internet video services named YouTube and Tubi before the time in which I had this message posted onto this site earlier this calendar year (note: the same services also appeared to have had some copies of some "Popeye" cartoons originally produced by a certain Hanna-Barbera, a certain Wild Brain Entertainment, a certain Fleischer Studio, and a certain Famous Studio during the same time) 

I always liked winston sharples' perky popeye theme

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I always liked winston sharples' perky popeye theme

Boy, does this ever bring back memories of watching Tom Hatten's "The Popeye Show" every weekday afternoon on KTLA Channel-5 Los Angeles back in the early-'60s...

Tom+Hatten+-+Popeye.jpg

Tom Hatten (1926-2019) being a mainstay of local Los Angeles television for many years.

"The Popeye Show" Host & Actor Tom Hatten 1926-2019 Memorial Video - YouTube

• Like 2

I had meant to type the word "Studios" rather than the word "Studio" after typing the word "Famous" in a previous message of mine in this discussion (I had added a letter "s" to the spelling of the word "Studio" made after the spelling of the word "Famous" in that message before posting this message). 

TERRYTOONS  was also a Saturday morning favorite with such "stars" as---

And..........

And who can forget some of those cartoon VILLAINS?  ( since they mostly looked alike)  Like_

DISHONEST JOHN ( Beanie and Cecil)

OILCAN HARRY( Mighty Mouse and other Terrytoons)

SNIDELY WHIPLASH (Rocky and Bullwinkle's Dudley Do-Right 'toons)

And of course, BORIS BADINOV  and NATASHA!  ;)

Was many years later I discovered that Boris' name was probably a play on the name of the Russian 17th century Tsar and MUSSORGSKY opera  BORIS GODINOV (pronounced GUDINOFF which sounds close to GOOD enough.)  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

Plenty of comments on MeTV that the cartoons will be edited for uh.... political content. I doubt they will be showing Speedy Gonzalez episodes for sure.  We shall see.

You might remember here Janet that many of the cartoons shown on the old Saturday morning The Bugs Bunny Show during the late-'60s and early-'70s were even then starting to have edits done to them, and primarily the scenes which depicted an immediate result of some violent interaction between two of the characters.

(...it was all part of the "Anti-Violence on TV" movement back then)

7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

You might remember here Janet that many of the cartoons shown on the old Saturday morning The Bugs Bunny Show during the late-'60s and early-'70s were even then starting to have edits done to them, and primarily the scenes which depicted an immediate result of some violent interaction between two of the characters.

(...it was all part of the "Anti-Violence on TV" movement back then)

I don't really, Dargo Baby.  I remember the powers that be said that the cartoons were too violent. 

2 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I don't really, Dargo Baby.  I remember the powers that be said that the cartoons were too violent. 

Well, I guess you'd had had to be a big regular fan of Bugs' Saturday morning show like I was to have noticed it.

Know what I mean, Doc?!

(...err, I mean Janet?)

If you want to take a lookeeloo at violence, check out Tweety's  revenge on Sylvester.  "Aw, poor Putty, his skin is all pink..."

"What's the matter, Puddy? Don't you like to play with the bears?"

"It was a terrible storm. The boat rocked and rocked..."

"*Aw, the poor putty tat is turning green.."

2 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Plenty of comments on MeTV that the cartoons will be edited for uh.... political content. I doubt they will be showing Speedy Gonzalez episodes for sure.  We shall see.

They are probably already edited by the distributor of the material.  MeTV has a fairly small staff.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Well, I guess you'd had had to be a big regular fan of Bugs' Saturday morning show like I was to have noticed it.

Know what I mean, Doc?!

(...err, I mean Janet?)

Hey, Dargo, is that gun made of licorice?

18 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

And my wife LOVED Speedy!  Not as much as DAFFY for sure, but Speedy didn't bother her any.    And if MeTV  curbs the showing of violent 'toons,  the"for sure" bet will be the absence of ROAD RUNNER 'toons.  ;)   And, given the hypersensitive nature of today, do you think those cartoons that display SEXUAL ASSAULT will not be shown?  You know......

Like: 

Sepiatone   (Oh, and too, that nasty CIGARETTE!  So another negative influence ala cartoons, eh?  ;) )

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Where could these "comments" be found? 

On 11/28/2020 at 7:43 AM, TikiSoo said:

While I enjoyed Sat morning cartoons, the real draw was later with the Saturday Matinee of monster/children's movies: Cormans, Castles & Foreign fantasy films, oh my! I first saw the fabulous Russian THE SNOW QUEEN '57 on a Saturday afternoon.

The_Snow_Queen_1957.jpg

I like that TCM continues this tradition with a great Saturday line up of cartoons & fun serials & Bs.

TS - I saw THE SNOW QUEEN at Radio City Music Hall when it came out. Fabulous!

On 11/28/2020 at 11:24 AM, Dargo said:

And speaking of our youth and the Saturday morning TV fare we watched back then.

Anyone remember these Rocky and Bullwinkle bubble bath containers that were sold in the soap section of supermarkets in the mid-'60s?...4ba9bf25029380f95ebcf213aa760335.jpg

(...I do...I had my mother purchase them whenever I accompanied her to the store...yeah yeah, I was a spoiled brat, so what of it?!)  ;)

My DIVER DAN doll:         

Eight Ropes of Danger                                                                                                                           

• Like 1
On 12/4/2020 at 1:24 PM, Janet0312 said:

When Warren Beatty's DICK TRACY was happening in 1990 some television stations revisited The DICK TRACY Show - the early 1960s cartoon that had previously been labeled as politically incorrect, and it was met with renewed resistance.

1 hour ago, NoShear said:

When Warren Beatty's DICK TRACY was happening in 1990, some television stations revisited The DICK TRACY Show - the early 1960s cartoon that had previously been labeled as politically incorrect, and it was met with renewed resistance.

Yeah, I remember this. 

Joe Jitsu and Go-Go Gomez especially weren't met back with open arms.

(...and I understand they're now both living the quiet life in a nice Scottsdale 55-and-over retirement community along with the Frito Bandito)

• Haha 2