Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MeTV Cartoon Saturdays

On 12/6/2020 at 1:08 PM, Arbogast said:

I too have been wondering where Rocky & Bullwinkle is. Hard to believe no cable net or streamer is airing it.....

Probably due to some PC nonsense concerning the derogatory "Wattsamotta U"  affect on Italian-Americans.   Or all the shown or implied violence.  I really couldn't say.  As a big fan of theirs, I'd say someone might object to the animation not being exactly top shelf.  ;)  But considering the success of SOUTH PARK  I'd say the animation quality and violence isn't a real concern anymore.

Sepiatone

12 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Probably due to some PC nonsense concerning the derogatory "Wattsamotta U"  affect on Italian-Americans.   Or all the shown or implied violence.  I really couldn't say.  As a big fan of theirs, I'd say someone might object to the animation not being exactly top shelf.  ;)  But considering the success of SOUTH PARK  I'd say the animation quality and violence isn't a real concern anymore.

Sepiatone

Until recently, the cartoons were made available by The Program Exchange, which was a barter syndicator and originally a subsidiary of an advertising agency.   Not coincidentally, the animation company (located in Mexico) that animated the Bullwinkle cartoons was also owned by the same advertising agency. 

Barter syndication arrangements provide a TV station a program in exchange for some or all of that program's ad time for a particular sponsor (General Mills in this case).   No cash changes hands between the syndicator and broadcaster.  This type of syndication is typically used for programming seen as being less popular (or occasionally new programming) which would otherwise be hard to sell by a syndicator.  TV stations use it to fill holes in their schedule, or to fill hard-to-sell timeslots, although nowadays those slots are usually filled with long form commercials (infomercials).  TV stations also used it as a short term gap-filler, as the carriage agreements were much shorter than a cash syndication deal, and the station could quickly drop the program if it needed to.

The Program Exchange was shut down a few years back after Universal acquired DreamWorksClassics, which was its major client, depriving TPE of most of its product.   Universal now has the underlying rights to the Rocky/Bullwinkle properties.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I have a five  VHS tape box of them I can turn to when my jones needs feeding.  ;)  

Sepiatone

Another source is the nice 5-season set of Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends on DVD (something to add to a Christmas list).

When I was very young my parents took us to a TV store on a Sunday afternoon, and one of the first programs I saw in color was an episode of The Bullwinkle Show.  I was hooked from that point on.

42 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Another source is the nice 5-season set of Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends on DVD (something to add to a Christmas list).

When I was very young my parents took us to a TV store on a Sunday afternoon, and one of the first programs I saw in color was an episode of The Bullwinkle Show.  I was hooked from that point on.

Funny, but I have a similar story to this. cm!

In MY case though, ever since I watched the moose and squirrel show back when I as a kid, I've been hooked on tall willowy sultry brunettes with arched eyebrows, like THIS...

OIP.LjJMu5QsluXZyTuNVJ0BPwHaRY?pid=Api&r

(...in the biological world, I believe this is known as "imprinting", isn't it?!)

;)

• Haha 1

The humor of ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE was on several levels.  Some so obviously appealing to kids, and some for older individuals.  For instance---

"Fractured Fairy Tales" using the story of Sleeping Beauty in which their prince charming was obviously drawn to resemble  WALT DISNEY and who, when encountering the sleeping princess, sets up velvet ropes and starts selling tickets so people can walk by and view her!  ;) 

All the puns used when naming the next episode in some adventure.....

In one "Mr. Know-It-All" segment, we see Bullwinkle relaxing in an easy chair, resplendent in smoking jacket talking about stereo components.  And sounding quite intellectual----  With classical music pouring out of his system, he says something like;  "Today's home stereo components offer an amazing level of quality sound reproduction technology.(then while turning it up) But did you also know you can TELL TIME with them?"  Just then we hear Boris Badenov pounding on the door complaining, "Hey!  TURN THAT DOWN! Is TWO A.M. "   :D 

Gotta love that stuff!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2
On 12/9/2020 at 11:43 AM, Sepiatone said:

The humor of ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE was on several levels.  Some so obviously appealing to kids, and some for older individuals.  For instance---

"Fractured Fairy Tales" using the story of Sleeping Beauty in which their prince charming was obviously drawn to resemble  WALT DISNEY and who, when encountering the sleeping princess, sets up velvet ropes and starts selling tickets so people can walk by and view her!  ;) 

All the puns used when naming the next episode in some adventure.....

In one "Mr. Know-It-All" segment, we see Bullwinkle relaxing in an easy chair, resplendent in smoking jacket talking about stereo components.  And sounding quite intellectual----  With classical music pouring out of his system, he says something like;  "Today's home stereo components offer an amazing level of quality sound reproduction technology.(then while turning it up) But did you also know you can TELL TIME with them?"  Just then we hear Boris Badenov pounding on the door complaining, "Hey!  TURN THAT DOWN! Is TWO A.M. "   :D 

Gotta love that stuff!  ;) 

Sepiatone

Oh, most certainly an adult cartoon.

The weekly "Popeye" cartoons have been great but it would be even better if TCM went with, say, a 1-hour animation block on Saturday mornings.

Also, it would be nice if Animated Short Film were one of the program blocks on 31 Days of Oscar.

6 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Quite a few, since there is a special animated short subject category.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Animated_Short_Film

Wow! I can NOT believe the animated short What's Opera, Doc? which almost all lists of the greatest animated shorts of all time has sitting in the Number-1 position, wasn't even nominated in 1957???!!!

And here I had thought this was the one that garnered the great Chuck Jones his first Oscar win.

(...guess it's kind'a like how THE greatest musical ever made, Singin' in the Rain, wasn't even nominated for Best Picture its year, eh?!...damn Academy!)

Btw, MY favorite animated short of all time isn't WO,D?, although it does rank highly with me.

Nope, MY favorite animated short of all time is another Chuck Jones directed funny-as-all-hell little piece starring that crazy rabbit...Ali Baba Bunny.

(...just can never get enough of "Open Saskatchewan?", "Here we are, Pismo Beach, and all the clams you can eat!" AND the ever-popular"HASSAN, CHOP!", among many other hilarious lines in this one)