Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

“The Birds” shown in correct aspect ratio on TCM

4 hours ago, Stephen444 said:

What a treat to look at this movie shown in it’s correct aspect ratio.  

Sorry but since I've seen The Birds many times before I have not been paying attention to how it looked on TCM in the past.  The aspect ratio is listed at 1.85 : 1 - has TCM not shown it this way before?

Not sure if it is the influence of streaming services, but my impression is that many of the films we see on TCM are being shown in better quality over time.  There are some with alternate sources that still don't look as good, but it is nice to see the classics in true HD when they become available.  (I did manage to catch some of Psycho late Thursday evening, and it also looked very good.)

Sorry, but no matter what aspect ratio I've ever watched this film in, I've never been able to fully forgive Hitchcock for knocking off my gal Suzanne in this flick!

(...sure, and obviously JUST because she's a brunette and not one of his cherished little blonde "ice princesses", the dirty rat)

;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Sorry, but no matter what aspect ratio I've ever watched this film in, I've never been able to fully forgive Hitchcock for knocking off my gal Suzanne in this flick!

(...sure, and obviously JUST because she's a brunette and not one of his cherished little blonde "ice princesses", the dirty rat)

;)

I watched all of the scenes in The Birds that Suzanne was in.    One thing I noticed was how unflattering Suzanne was dressed.   E.g. very loose clothing that made her look slightly chunky.  Yea,  she was working in the garden,   and just chilling at home,  but I do wonder if the overall look was done to add further contrast between the two women.    I said to my wife (what I say every time I see this film),   "there is the real beauty of the film" when Suzanne comes from the yard.     

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I watched all of the scenes in The Birds that Suzanne was in.    One thing I noticed was how unflattering Suzanne was dressed.   E.g. very loose clothing that made her look slightly chunky.  Yea,  she was working in the garden,   and just chilling at home,  but I do wonder if the overall look was done to add further contrast between the two women.    I said to my wife (what I say every time I see this film),   "there is the real beauty of the film" when Suzanne comes from the yard.     

Good point here, James. Yes, I'd say in addition to the thought that Suzanne's character is a small town schoolmarm and whereas Tippi's was that of a rich big city girl, I'll bet Hitchcock made it known to the dressers of this film from the beginning that Suzanne was to be dressed-down in order for this contrast to be even more apparent to the viewer.

(...I know Suzanne has looked much better in many other films she was in anyway, and with one of my favorites being how attractive she was in If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium, and I still think she was at the height of her beauty when she was in her late-thirties and early-forties while playing Bob Newhart's wife in his first sitcom)

6 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Sorry but since I've seen The Birds many times before I have not been paying attention to how it looked on TCM in the past.  The aspect ratio is listed at 1.85 : 1 - has TCM not shown it this way before?

Not sure if it is the influence of streaming services, but my impression is that many of the films we see on TCM are being shown in better quality over time.  There are some with alternate sources that still don't look as good, but it is nice to see the classics in true HD when they become available.  (I did manage to catch some of Psycho late Thursday evening, and it also looked very good.)

I don't know if The Birds has been shown in the 1.85 ratio in the past on TCM.   I do know that many films that are 1.85 ratio are altered to fill up the TV screen, including the films on TCM.  More so with the premium channels (HBO, Starz etc)  Personally I want to see films presented as the director framed them.    

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Stephen444 said:

I do know that many films that are 1.85 ratio are altered to fill up the TV screen, including the films on TCM.

It is my understanding, and I know this because TCM tells me so, that TCM does not alter the movies it shows.  It has been documented that on occasion, movies have been shown not in their original ratio, even some--gasp!--in pan-and-scan.  People have attributed this to the sources from which TCM gets its movies.

I happened to be discussing The Birds today with a friend and when I commented, "So what's wrong with Rod Taylor in that film, choosing that Ice Princess over Suzanne Pleshette?" he was nodding his head so hard it almost came off his neck. And I don't care how frumpy Suzanne's clothes were in that film, you can only do so much to disguise the fact that she was one beautiful woman.

• Like 1
On 11/28/2020 at 8:37 PM, TomJH said:

I happened to be discussing The Birds today with a friend and when I commented, "So what's wrong with Rod Taylor in that film, choosing that Ice Princess over Suzanne Pleshette?" he was nodding his head so hard it almost came off his neck. And I don't care how frumpy Suzanne's clothes were in that film, you can only do so much to disguise the fact that she was one beautiful woman.

Taylor actually selected this women over Suzanne.      It took birds to break the mode allowing the Ice Princess to catch a break.

Jessica Tandy Publicity Photo.jpg

• Haha 1