Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello gang,

I have been a very loyal TCM fan for years.  I am from Pittsburgh, PA.  We have had many discussions in this house about the use of our fair city, Pittsburgh, in classic movies.  Pittsburgh is often brought up (i.e. North by Northwest, Sunday in the Park, etc. etc. etc.) as if we were some kind of pit stop (no pun intended).   The actors mention the city in a less than favorable way.   I wonder if you all know how many times Pittsburgh is actually brought up in classical movies. 

Angels in the Outfield is a different story all together as the star team is ..... wait for it... the Pittsburgh, Pirates!  We love that movie.  My mother-in-law was actually in the movie as one of the girls the nuns brought into the stands.  She was actually living in an orphanage at that time.  

A side note, we have three favorite movies:  The Star with Bette Davis.  We watch that literally almost every night.  Favorite scene is the encounter with her sister.  "Can I help it if Roy enjoys poor health?!"  The Enchanted Cottage - a soothing, relaxing movie.  Favorite scene, is Mrs Minnett holding the door open while the wind spinning the leaves and trees..... naaaa she's not a witch.  Haha.

Forever a fan.  While we loved Robert O.  we really have come to love and appreciate the new hosts.  All SPLENDID!

best,

Rob Sauritch

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

There's a John Wayne movie called PITTSBURGH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_(1942_film)

But I don't think TCM's ever broadcast it.

You're right TB..."Pittsburgh" has never been shown on TCM.  It's a Universal film, which explains a lot.  Sad too, because besides John Wayne, Marlene Dietrich, and Randolph Scott are in it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Here's a site that lists some +Pittsburgh movies:

https://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/2016/01/pittsburgh_movies.html

If I makes you feel any better, lots of cities come in for abuse, so you're not out there in the cold alone.

Thanks for posting this link, slayton.

I found a number of films on this list which were set in Pittsburgh to be some of my favorites and which I hadn't remembered being set in that city, and especially some of fairly recent vintage such as Wonder Boys and Adventureland.

(...and btw Rob, welcome to the boards)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, midwestan said:

You're right TB..."Pittsburgh" has never been shown on TCM.  It's a Universal film, which explains a lot.  Sad too, because besides John Wayne, Marlene Dietrich, and Randolph Scott are in it.

And, for Three Stooges fans, Shemp Howard is in it too.

• Like 1

Yay! Well I LOVE Pittsburgh and visit every opportunity-it's a beautiful city with a unique rich history.  Last time I mapped Pittsburgh they had 3 operating Drive Ins. Hope they're still there, definitely the way to see movies during lockdown. Isn't there an incline like San Francisco's?

Are any of the movies listed actually FILMED in Pittsburgh? It has a unique look to it what with the steel mills lining the rivers. Before you complain about Pittsburgh being the brunt of jokes, try living in Syracuse.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Yay! Well I LOVE Pittsburgh and visit every opportunity-it's a beautiful city with a unique rich history.  Last time I mapped Pittsburgh they had 3 operating Drive Ins. Hope they're still there, definitely the way to see movies during lockdown. Isn't there an incline like San Francisco's?

Are any of the movies listed actually FILMED in Pittsburgh? It has a unique look to it what with the steel mills lining the rivers. Before you complain about Pittsburgh being the brunt of jokes, try living in Syracuse.

I've only been to Pittsburgh once, but I loved driving through it.  It is an interesting place that had many new and vibrant buildings mixed in with abandoned and disused mills once I crossed the Monongahela River (but that was 30 years ago!).  I've never been to Syracuse proper, but I've been by there a couple of times on the New York State Thruway.  People who have never been to upstate New York are surprised at how scenic the place really is.  I put it right up there with any drive through northern New England, the Blue Ridge Mountains, or the Smoky Mountains.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Living in the Detroit area, I can't fathom what you're complaining about, TIKI.  ;) 

But WELCOME to the boards Rob.  My family(on mom's side) hails from the Pittsburgh area(Hermanie) and had lived in the city proper for a time.  And a few even worked for HEINZ for a while.  Was only there once myself(when I was 😎 and don't recall it being anything to make fun of.  As for Pennsylvania cities, I'd think ALTOONA got more  classic movie laughs than Pittsburgh.  ;) 

Sepiatone

14 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Living in the Detroit area, I can't fathom what you're complaining about, TIKI.  ;) 

But WELCOME to the boards Rob.  My family(on mom's side) hails from the Pittsburgh area(Hermanie) and had lived in the city proper for a time.  And a few even worked for HEINZ for a while.  Was only there once myself(when I was 😎 and don't recall it being anything to make fun of.  As for Pennsylvania cities, I'd think ALTOONA got more  classic movie laughs than Pittsburgh.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Yep, I recall George Burns using Altoona as a punchline many a time back in day, anyway.

(...boy, did THIS sentence just make me sound ancient or WHAT???!!!)

LOL

• Haha 2

A great city, that is for sure. It was asked earlier in the thread about films actually filmed in Pittsburgh. It's a more recent phenomenon (most from the 80s onward), and films actually shot there are not necessarily set in Pittsburgh. There were two 1992 films, Lorenzo's Oil and Hoffa, that were set in Washington DC and Detroit respectively, but they were mostly filmed in Pittsburgh.

yeah, it's one of his few films where he plays a negative character but in the end he sees the error of his ways

contains a great speech by Frank Craven extolling the virtues of coal byproducts like synthetic rubber.

:)

marlene really knew how to tickle Duke's giblets.

Pittsburgh (1942), starring John Wayne, Marlene Dietrich and Randolph  Scott. | Marlene dietrich, John wayne movies, John wayne

• Like 3
18 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

A great city, that is for sure. It was asked earlier in the thread about films actually filmed in Pittsburgh. It's a more recent phenomenon (most from the 80s onward), and films actually shot there are not necessarily set in Pittsburgh. There were two 1992 films, Lorenzo's Oil and Hoffa, that were set in Washington DC and Detroit respectively, but they were mostly filmed in Pittsburgh.

Interesting.  I remember Devito and Co. spending lots of time in Southwest Detroit(where I was living at the time of filming) and using many locations seen in the movie.  There's an early scene that takes place under the Ambassador  Bridge that was actually shot under the Ambassador bridge,  (actually, a couple scenes were shot at the bridge area) and the Fort St. truck terminal at the corner of Green st. was used for that "Kregar" (or was it KREEGAR)  which was a wink-nudge towards KROGER.  ;)  Me and a small crowd of people were standing across Fort St. when that scene was being filmed.  You could barely see Devito's red beret waist high through a circle of extras.  :D .

Which scenes were shot in Pittsburgh?    Haven't seen the movie since about '98 or so.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Pittsburgh film making got a real shot in the arm at one point when a trade union went on strike.  Lots of stuff that might have been shot in NYC, ended up using Pgh as an urban stand-in.  That. in turn,  helped a lot of local crew people to learn their craft and it's been pretty strong (on and off) ever since.  This list includes TV stuff, but it's fairly complete. https://www.pghfilm.org/screening-room/pittsburgh-filmography/

• Thanks 2

From Voodoo Woman (1957)

Marla English plays a nasty woman looking for gold in the African jungle. When asked why she's doing it, she says she's:

"Right outta the slums of Pittsburgh, and this is my chance to stay out. I want that gold so bad I can see it every time I close my eyes."

She finds the gold, but at a price. She turns into this:

tumblr_lj8l5f3FBz1qcay1ao1_500.gif

7 hours ago, Swithin said:

From Voodoo Woman (1957)

Marla English plays a nasty woman looking for gold in the African jungle. When asked why she's doing it, she says she's:

"Right outta the slums of Pittsburgh, and this is my chance to stay out. I want that gold so bad I can see it every time I close my eyes."

She finds the gold, but at a price. She turns into this:

tumblr_lj8l5f3FBz1qcay1ao1_500.gif

I have it on a disc but I really do not care to watch it at all.

marla english gives a performance as perhaps the most homicidal woman in the history of cinema.

my favorite scene is when the tribal chief gives poor bobo a spear right in the back.

watched it a lot as a kid on channel 11's chiller theatre.

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

watched it a lot as a kid on channel 11's chiller theatre.

I think that's where I first saw it as well.

It's actually a good movie, from that wonderful year for horror films, 1957. That bar scene in the jungle is quite well done, and kind of amusing, with all those people jockeying to be the most evil. There's even a song: "Black Voodoo." Marcel the bartender is played by Paul Dubov, who did quite a lot of mainstream television in the '50s and '60s.

Norman Willis has a good line in that bar scene: "We're going into the jungle to bring back a secret recipe for borscht. There's millions in it!"

Here's the trailer: