Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shadow Of A Doubt Plot Flaws?

I love the look of this film and the general creepiness, but I keep thinking some of it doesn't make sense. Maybe someone here can help. Toward the end of the film, a newspaper reveals that the supposed killer was killed himself by a plane propellor. So everything is all right. But then of course the uncle tries to push Charlie off a train. He is indeed the killer. Did the detectives think the killer was killed by the propellors? If so, why would the one handsome detective believe Uncle Charlie assaulted his niece? Or did he even know that? If he knew who the real killer was, who would he say the guy in the newspaper story was? Or was that a ruse? So confused am I.....

5 minutes ago, Twokeets said:

I love the look of this film and the general creepiness, but I keep thinking some of it doesn't make sense. Maybe someone here can help. Toward the end of the film, a newspaper reveals that the supposed killer was killed himself by a plane propellor. So everything is all right. But then of course the uncle tries to push Charlie off a train. He is indeed the killer. Did the detectives think the killer was killed by the propellors? If so, why would the one handsome detective believe Uncle Charlie assaulted his niece? Or did he even know that? If he knew who the real killer was, who would he say the guy in the newspaper story was? Or was that a ruse? So confused am I.....

The detective presents Charlie's photo of Uncle Charlie to some witnesses and thinks that it'll help convict Uncle Charlie as the Merry Widower.  The police apparently were chasing another potential suspect who ran into a set of spinning propellers, ripping him to shreds.  Since real identification is impossible, and the man is identified by his clothing, the police assume that the Merry Widower is dead (not very good police work, imo).   Uncle Charlie figures that he's off the hook, but when he announces that he's planning on moving to San Francisco with a Widow, Charlie wants to stop him.  They struggle on the train because Charlie knows Uncle Charlie's secrets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SPOILER

No, Wright is GLAD Uncle Charlie is leaving. But Uncle Charlie is afraid Wright knows too much and will spill the beans so tries to off her. (even though police think the killer was killed by the propellers)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I've never been able to spot Hitchcock's cameo in this film. Does anyone know where he appears?

I think he's near the beginning of the film playing cards on Uncle Charlie's train to Santa Rosa.

So at the end of the movie, does the detective believe Charlie and her thoughts about her uncle being the real killer? I mean he should believe her but does he? I just wan't sure. Also, it's really nice to have a group like this that knows what I'm even talking about!