Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Angels with dirty faces 1938

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody knows. Warner Brothers had the rights to it and showed it regularly until the end of 2009. It was a DVD in one of the Warner Gangsters collections. But it is nowhere to be found. This happens with some of Cagney's films - Ceiling Zero and Come Fill the Cup were made at WB but have not been shown on TCM and I do not know who owns the rights. 

On 12/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, LsDoorMat said:

Nobody knows. Warner Brothers had the rights to it and showed it regularly until the end of 2009. It was a DVD in one of the Warner Gangsters collections. But it is nowhere to be found. This happens with some of Cagney's films - Ceiling Zero and Come Fill the Cup were made at WB but have not been shown on TCM and I do not know who owns the rights. 

I have a 2005 Warner Brothers DVD of Angels With Dirty Faces.  I understand that this DVD is now OOP.   I thought Warner Brothers owned the rights.   It is weird though how a film with so many major stars that conceivably is in the Turner Library hasn't shown up on TCM.  Did Warner Brothers sell the distribution rights to another company? E.g. Criterion? Though if that were the case, I'd think that a restored version would have been released by now.

9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I have a 2005 Warner Brothers DVD of Angels With Dirty Faces.  I understand that this DVD is now OOP.   I thought Warner Brothers owned the rights.   It is weird though how a film with so many major stars that conceivably is in the Turner Library hasn't shown up on TCM.  Did Warner Brothers sell the distribution rights to another company? E.g. Criterion? Though if that were the case, I'd think that a restored version would have been released by now.

I have the DVD too, since I have all of the Warner Gangsters collections. The film was made for Warner Brothers and was shown regularly on TCM through the end of 2009. And then it just disappeared. Nobody else has put out a release of it on Blu or DVD. Oddly, this long OOP release can be bought used on Amazon for twenty bucks. Not that this is a low price, but there is somebody that thinks their used copy of a 1998 Criterion DVD of "The Killer" is worth $125. Seriously.  I don't know the actual story, but like I said in my original post, there are three of Cagney's films - "Angels with Dirty Faces", "Ceiling Zero", and "Come Fill The Cup", that were made by Warner Brothers yet they have somehow lost the rights. I do know that James Cagney had his own production company after his return to Warner Brothers in 1936 and that several of his movies were made at WB in conjunction with that company. I know that Cagney's estate was a bit of a mess and that  he had a poor relationship with his two children. Maybe the estates of his children, who are probably dead at this point themselves, have possession of these films and those beneficiaries  are just sitting on the rights and won't do anything with them but won't let anyone else do anything either. It happened with "The Trial of Mary Dugan".  If Warner Brothers had sold the rights to "Gangsters with Dirty Faces" to Criterion they would still be able to broadcast it. "Philadelphia Story" airs regularly and has a Criterion release.