Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bring your Christmas blasphemies here.


Recommended Posts

I hate Christmas.  Christmas in movies.  The whole ooey, goopy mess.  Watching them you imagine the crew went around in a glassy-eyed trance, mindlessly intoning the universal seasonal mantra:  "God bless us, everyone."  Ugh.  And here's anotherthing.  I loathe It's a Wonderful Life (there, I won't even put the made-year after it).  I've started watching it twice and never made it past about twenty minutes or so.  What a drag.  There are some good ones, or ones not so insufferable you can't sit through them.  Miracle on 34th Street (1947) is good, though I can't say why.  Natalie Wood, the cutest button ever, makes a good run, but is too young to save it.  It must be Edmund Gwenn.  Good solid actor.  Provides grounding, center of gravity.

My favorite that has a Christmas link is Three Godfathers (1936).  And, no, I don't mean that wretched waste of good Technicolor film stock mis-directed by John Ford.  I mean that brilliant Western directed by Richard Boleslawski, and starring Chester Morris, Walter Brennan, and Lewis Stone.  It is based on a novelette of the purplest of purply prose.  Naturally it was a big hit.  And was adapted to movies starting soon, and often, after its publication in 1913.  A lot of sly wit and humor along with terrible desperate sacrifices.  Chester Morris plays one of the movie's worst villains.  A role he evidently delighted, and one of his best.  A man so bad he shot his own mother because she broke her leg--Hey!  he said so!

It's on twice this month, and, no, I won't tell you when.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Christmas movie that TCM showed a few years back in the Underground slot that was called You Better Watch Out, but was listed as Christmas Evil (1980).

It's the favorite Christmas movie of John Waters and me.

The director of this one came up with the idea for it after smoking marijuana and imagining he'd seen a vision of Santa Claus holding a knife. How can that not lead to a great movie?

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

To go along with Slayton's initial post, I'm just the opposite.  I like "It's A Wonderful Life", but I cannot stand "Miracle on 34th Street"!  Modern films for Christmas don't really cut it for me--maybe it's overkill from watching too many Hallmark or Lifetime channel Christmas movie promotions that soured me on the newer stuff.  I hate "Home Alone", but I enjoy watching "A Christmas Story".  I mean, many of us here can remember a time, with a good deal of embarrassment, when an adult caught us using the 'Queen Mother of dirty words' or some other similar colorful language.

I also like "Christmas in Connecticut", "The Holly and the Ivy", either version of "A Christmas Carol", "A Carol For Another Christmas", "All Mine To Give", and my favorite musical "White Christmas".  Though not considered a Christmas movie, I like "The Lion In Winter", which takes place over the Christmas holidays.  As for "The Bishop's Wife", you can throw that in the ash can with "Miracle on 34th Street".

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha stan, I agree with your post mostly.

I am not Christian, nor have any children, so Christmas is a non holiday* for me. But I love the sweet sentimentality many "Christmas" movies have. I really like fantasy angel/ghost stories too, so there ya go.

I very much enjoy THE BISHOPS WIFE, HOLLY & THE IVY, MIRACLE ON 34TH ST, all CHRISTMAS CAROLS and especially IAWL (since I live  near the town that inspired it-ZuZu always attends their festival!) CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT & HOLIDAY AFFAIR are also faves even though they are more down-to-earth, non fantasy stories.

Agreed-the newer Christmas films leave me cold. THE CHRISTMAS STORY is mean spirited and I've never seen HOME ALONE or BAD SANTA, they just seem in bad taste. So YOU BETTER WATCH OUT sounds perfect-intentionally bad taste making it FUN!

*actually I'm rather amused by the unabashed greediness & viciousness actually seen in stores by those who "celebrate"

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

*actually I'm rather amused by the unabashed greediness & viciousness actually seen in stores by those who "celebrate"

I'm reminded of an incident several years ago when I was in the checkout line at a dollar store.  It was a busy Saturday morning, and there was only one cashier to handle a line of people that numbered about 6 or 7.  The girl at the cash register was relatively new on the job and the machine ran out of receipt tape which she had to replace, but couldn't quite get it right until she contacted the manager for assistance.  It took several minutes to get the line moving again, but the scanning machine then decided to act up about 3 people in front of me, which caused further delays.  Most everyone in line took things in stride, like me.  But, this woman who was in front of me started to get un-hinged.  She first started complaining under her breath, then became more vocal about her disgust over the situation.  By the time she got to the cashier, she was letting the girl have it and said something to the effect that if she didn't know what she was doing, the store should hire someone who did!  I kept my mouth shut, but in my imaginative state, I wanted to march the complaining woman out to the parking lot so I could beat some Christmas Spirit into her!👊🏻  As it was, the cashier looked quite crestfallen by the time I got to her.  I re-assured her to not let the mean woman get her down, and that she was doing a good job under the circumstances.  🎅🏻

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Agreed-the newer Christmas films leave me cold. THE CHRISTMAS STORY is mean spirited and I've never seen HOME ALONE or BAD SANTA, they just seem in bad taste.

I don't find HOME ALONE entertaining at all, but A CHRISTMAS STORY is one I laugh out loud during and make sure I catch it at least once on TBS' marathon airing of the film every Christmas. BAD SANTA is really much funnier in a theater but I still think it's fun to watch.

The favorite in my home is THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS- I've watched this one so many times during either Halloween or Christmas seasons, it's almost like white noise in my apartment, in which the film is just on TV and I stop to pay attention to my favorite scenes.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tikisoo, I am Jewish and celebrate Chanukah.  I like some of the movies that they run at Christmas.  The Man Who Came to Dinner, knowing the background story, I find amusing.  Bing C. hated Jews, but I like Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen in White Christmas.  Never saw Christmas Story all the way through (I like Darren Mc. - loved Kolchak); Home Alone and its sequels are mean spirited.  Some of the TV shows I like better.  A Charlie Brown Christmas; the original Boris Karloff's Grinch, and, one of my all-time faves:  The Dick Van Dyke Show (the Alan Brady song makes me laugh every time).  CBS has trotted out a horrible colorized version of I Love Lucy (it is time for younger generations to discover b&w TV/Movies).  I don't mind watching cooking baking shows.  Some movies use Christmas (The Family Stone?) to showcase dysfunctional families - although, for me, nothing could beat the Thanksgiving gathering in my favorite Barry Levinson film, Avalon where the turkey is carved before the uncle? arrives (and Joan P. does a great Jewish mother).  Excuse typos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I don't find HOME ALONE entertaining at all, but A CHRISTMAS STORY is one I laugh out loud during and make sure I catch it at least once on TBS' marathon airing of the film every Christmas. BAD SANTA is really much funnier in a theater but I still think it's fun to watch.

The favorite in my home is THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS- I've watched this one so many times during either Halloween or Christmas seasons, it's almost like white noise in my apartment, in which the film is just on TV and I stop to pay attention to my favorite scenes.

Yeah my fav is Home Alone 2 ('92) and cause of the slap stick comedy and I love the city of New York in films. It's usually the movie I watch along Christmas besides Die Hard ('88), Lethal Weapon ('87), It's A Wonderful Life ('46), Christmas in Connecticut ('45), The Bishop's Wife ('47), Miracle on 34th Street ('47), Scrooge ('51), Scrooged ('88), A Christmas Carol ('09), National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation ('89), How The Grinch Stole Christmas ('66 or '00), and finally The Santa Clause ('94) 😂🎄.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

... Bing C. hated Jews, but I like Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen in White Christmas.  ...

Evidence supporting this statement?

As a fan, I've read a lot about Bing and have never come across any allegations that he disliked Jews -- although maybe I've just missed them.  He clearly developed positive and longstanding working relationships with Jews like Irving Berlin and Al Jolson.  

As a fairly reticent person, Bing didn't seem to have a lot of close personal relationships outside his family, although he was friendly with Hollywood folks who shared his Irish background, like Frank McHugh.  Bing was certainly no saint and could sometimes be a harsh disciplinarian with his older sons from his first family.  But Gary Crosby's allegations of abuse in a book published shortly after Bing's death were at least partially rescinded by Gary himself and disputed by other members of the family.  And his younger children from his second marriage never, to my knowledge, accused Bing of being anything less than a good father.

Of course, being decent to his children doesn't necessarily have a bearing on how Bing felt about other folks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh boy, a whole list of Krampus movies.......

Krampus Movies
  • Krampus (I) (2015) PG-13 | 98 min | Comedy, Drama, Fantasy. ...
  • A Christmas Horror Story (2015) Not Rated | 99 min | Fantasy, Horror, Mystery. ...
  • Krampus: The Reckoning (2015) ...
  • Krampus: The Christmas Devil (2014) ...
  • Night of the Krampus (2013) ...
  • Der Krampus (1969 TV Movie) ...
  • Krampus: Beware the Krampus. ...
  • Krampus: The Devil Returns (2016)

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls031580029/

giphy.gif

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dargo said:

So, Mr. Humbug. ;)

Whaddaya think of Holiday Affair with Bob Mitchum and Janet Leigh?

(...I have a feelin' you kind'a like that one anyway, right?!)

Personally Darg, I like the many movies( and not necessarily  holiday fare) in which Ms. Leigh looks like she's always standing at attention!  ;)  (it means I do too, if ya get the drift :D  ;) )

Sepiatone

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Haha stan, I agree with your post mostly.

I am not Christian, nor have any children, so Christmas is a non holiday* for me. But I love the sweet sentimentality many "Christmas" movies have. I really like fantasy angel/ghost stories too, so there ya go.

I very much enjoy THE BISHOPS WIFE, HOLLY & THE IVY, MIRACLE ON 34TH ST, all CHRISTMAS CAROLS and especially IAWL (since I live  near the town that inspired it-ZuZu always attends their festival!) CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT & HOLIDAY AFFAIR are also faves even though they are more down-to-earth, non fantasy stories.

Agreed-the newer Christmas films leave me cold. THE CHRISTMAS STORY is mean spirited and I've never seen HOME ALONE or BAD SANTA, they just seem in bad taste. So YOU BETTER WATCH OUT sounds perfect-intentionally bad taste making it FUN!

*actually I'm rather amused by the unabashed greediness & viciousness actually seen in stores by those who "celebrate"

What has Christianity got to do with Christmas in the United States anyway?

Santa Claus, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and MasterCard/VISA are  definitely secular American habits which follow the Holy Grail of capitalism--

Jesus Christ has nothing to do with it.

Irving Berlin's "White Christmas", a multi-million dollar  Evergreen  money maker -song written by a Russian Jewish immigrant, represents this secular American holiday completely.

Capitalism owns Christmas in the United States of America--

Jesus Christ lost possession decades ago.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BingFan said:

Evidence supporting this statement?

As a fan, I've read a lot about Bing and have never come across any allegations that he disliked Jews -- although maybe I've just missed them.  He clearly developed positive and longstanding working relationships with Jews like Irving Berlin and Al Jolson.  

As a fairly reticent person, Bing didn't seem to have a lot of close personal relationships outside his family, although he was friendly with Hollywood folks who shared his Irish background, like Frank McHugh.  Bing was certainly no saint and could sometimes be a harsh disciplinarian with his older sons from his first family.  But Gary Crosby's allegations of abuse in a book published shortly after Bing's death were at least partially rescinded by Gary himself and disputed by other members of the family.  And his younger children from his second marriage never, to my knowledge, accused Bing of being anything less than a good father.

Of course, being decent to his children doesn't necessarily have a bearing on how Bing felt about other folks.

 I read Gary's book and I don't remember him disputing it at all.

And as far as other members of Bing's first family go, except for one son, the others all committed suicide.

Bing's first wife committed suicide through alcoholism.

A second family with a second wife had a different scorecard. But that doesn't change what happened with the first family.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

What has Christianity got to do with Christmas in the United States anyway?

Santa Claus, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and MasterCard/VISA are  definitely secular American habits which follow the Holy Grail of capitalism--

Jesus Christ has nothing to do with it.

Irving Berlin's White Christmas, a multi-million dollar  Evergreen  money maker -song written by a Russian Jewish immigrant, represents this secular American holiday completely.

Capitalism owns Christmas in the United States of America--

Jesus Christ lost possession decades ago.

No one knows the month and day he was born on. 

The holiday was celebrated as the Roman pagan solstice, or "birthday of the unconquered sun," which began on December 17 and ended December 25.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

 I read Gary's book and I don't remember him disputing it at all.

And as far as other members of his first family goes, except for one son the others all committed suicide.

Bing's first wife committed suicide through alcoholism.

A second family with a second wife had a different scorecard. But that doesn't change what happened what the first family.

 

:o  What have THEY to do with anything?  ;) 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hamradio said:

No one knows the month and day he was born on. 

The holiday was celebrated as the Roman pagan solstice, or "birthday of the unconquered sun," which began on December 17 and ended December 25.

 

Everybody knows this.

And you understand very well what we're talking about.

But maybe this tidbit of information was new to you cuz you just found it on the internet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...