Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bring your Christmas blasphemies here.

2 hours ago, midwestan said:

I got my first Christmas card of the season yesterday.  Seems I get fewer and fewer each year, and I'm not sure why this tradition has died out.  As far as I know, only one person on my list is deceased (I send out about 20 or so each year).  I tried to make things interesting about 15 years ago by making a contest out of it by holding my Christmas Card Sweepstakes Extravaganza in which I'd send homemade cookies to the person who sent me the first card after Thanksgiving.  I'll make cookies today and send off some goodies to this year's winner in Florida either Monday or Tuesday.  Sending cards out to people is one way of letting them know you're still alive and kicking, but most people don't even respond electronically either.  A lot of friends are on Facebook, but I haven't posted anything there since last Spring as I don't trust the corporate overlords who run that site to have the best interests of its users at heart.  Commercial Christmas is a bummer, just like sappy, sticky sweet Christmas is too, but only because both realities are overdone to death...like so many things today, moderation has become a dirty word. ☹️🎅

I'm with you kid.  In fact, I'll be signing and sending out my usual 20 cards today.  Got a late start due to things beyond my control.  But I was asked once,  by those that Cid mentioned, as to---

"Why do you bother to mail Christmas cards when you can just post Christmas greetings on FACEBOOK, like everyone else?"  

And my usual answer is---

"Because I'm an individual.;)   I also adhere to traditions.  Especially those that require a personal touch that shows you care enough to bother.  

Sepiatone

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 12/13/2020 at 11:45 AM, Sepiatone said:

"Why do you bother to mail Christmas cards...?

Because some are a real joy. My friend's custom designed 2020 card:

132110135_10158957602414489_432397142320

I send out New Years Cards, usually Mae West. Not this year... I scored these Hallmarks off a "free" table & sending them out:

132405730_10158957599344489_451865428891

• Haha 2

My stepbrother and his wife usually send out one of those "newsletters" or a postcard type thing that's a huge photo of them, their children and grandchildren all grouped together.  And with either a typed or printed "signature".  

If that's what affluence brings one to, I'll stay middle class, thank you.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
21 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I send out New Years Cards, usually Mae West. Not this year... I scored these Hallmarks off a "free" table & sending them out:

132405730_10158957599344489_451865428891

Reminds me of this clever TV commercial for Shutterfly:

Since one side of most Christmas cards are blank, just jotting a few lines informing me that y'all are OK or short mention of some setback works fine for me.  I don't need or want five paragraphs about someone's luxurious European vacation  or your grandson(whom I've never met and doesn't know me from Adam and doesn't really care) getting into some Ivy league school.

When my wife died two weeks before Christmas '18, I wrote a middlin' paragraph about her( to out of town relations who've never met her) and dropped in a funeral card.  They had her photo on them.

Last Christmas and this I just sent a signed card.

Sepiatone

• Sad 1
13 hours ago, SansFin said:

Gambling on the Lord's Day is a sin. Gambling on Jesus H. Crist's Birthday is a sacrilegious blasphemy.  😉

So is blowing 50 bucks.   On ANY day!  ;)  

11 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Oh I see.

Now, that's funny!

Cripes.  I don't believe this! :rolleyes:

This guy just flunked his oral exam!  ;) 

Sepiatone

I really love Christmas.  It’s my very favorite holiday.  I always watch Free Form’s 25 Days Of Christmas every year.  Which was ABC Family’s 25 Days Of Christmas before it became Free Form of course and in 2018.  Blair Underwood became the host as Free Form Santa and he does a really wonderful and really amazing job.  He’s great.  I really love him a whole lot.  I hope they have him host forever and I watch every single Christmas movie and special in the book.  Including all the Christmas classics here on TCM and guess what?  If you want to listen on YouTube?  The Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol Radio Show with John Barrymore and Orson Wells from 1939 is on.  That Robert Osbourne was talking about.  I think I’m going to listen to it today.  I think it will be so neat and so cool.  I also always go see Santa and had a zoom with him this year and one of my very favorite things about Christmas is waking up Christmas morning and opening presents.  Because when you open presents.  You have no idea what you’re going to get and you’re always so happy with what you get.  When it’s a surprise too.  I always watch The Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade too.  On ABC.  Happy Holidays Everybody.