Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bring your Christmas blasphemies here.

8 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Didn't you once tell me that you weren't a Christian?

So whatever these people are doing it shouldn't be a problem for you.

I primarily said I wasn't an evangelical or fundamentalist but I still believe in the judeo-christian bible and Jesus.

21 hours ago, Dargo said:

So, Mr. Humbug. ;)

Whaddaya think of Holiday Affair with Bob Mitchum and Janet Leigh?

(...I have a feelin' you kind'a like that one anyway, right?!)

Well, Dargo--Bah!

And humbug to A Christmas Story.  Never got beyond the opening scene.

A Christmas in Connecticut--bah!

The Bishop's Wife--bah!

Now, Scrooge (or, A Christmas Carol, 1951) is ok, principally due to Alistair Sim.  A bit of alright.  He managed the tricky transformation from meanness to niceness without a tinge of phony.

One of my favorite compilations of Christmas music is "Christmas Now Is Drawing Near: English Folk Carols," performed by Sneak's Noyse on original instruments. I have it on cassette. I just checked and discovered that a CD of it on Amazon would go for $902, if they had it!

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Now-Drawing-Near-Carols/dp/B00000452K

Mostly old English carols, one of my favorites is "Cold was the day when in a garden bare," which I cannot find online to share here; however, another, better known, one on the cassette that I like very much is "The boar's head in hand bear I."  Here's a recording by another group:

I'm also quite fond of Thomas Hardy's early novel, Under the Greenwood Tree, which opens with a description of Christmas musicians/carolers:

"On a cold and starry Christmas-eve within living memory a man was passing up a lane towards Mellstock Cross in the darkness of a plantation that whispered thus distinctively to his intelligence.  All the evidences of his nature were those afforded by the spirit of his footsteps, which succeeded each other lightly and quickly, and by the liveliness of his voice as he sang in a rural cadence:

'With the rose and the lily
      And the daffodowndilly,
The lads and the lasses a-sheep-shearing go.'"

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Swithin said:

One of my favorite compilations of Christmas music is "Christmas Now Is Drawing Near: English Folk Carols," performed by Sneak's Noyse on original instruments. I have it on cassette. I just checked and discovered that a CD of it on Amazon would go for $902, if they had it!

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Now-Drawing-Near-Carols/dp/B00000452K

Mostly old English carols, one of my favorites is "Cold was the day when in a garden bare," which I cannot find online to share here; however, another, better known, one on the cassette that I like very much is "The boar's head in hand bear I."  Here's a recording by another group:

I'm also quite fond of Thomas Hardy's early novel, Under the Greenwood Tree, which opens with a description of Christmas musicians/carolers:

"On a cold and starry Christmas-eve within living memory a man was passing up a lane towards Mellstock Cross in the darkness of a plantation that whispered thus distinctively to his intelligence.  All the evidences of his nature were those afforded by the spirit of his footsteps, which succeeded each other lightly and quickly, and by the liveliness of his voice as he sang in a rural cadence:

'With the rose and the lily
      And the daffodowndilly,
The lads and the lasses a-sheep-shearing go.'"

So I take it  "I Saw Mummy Snogging Father Christmas"(or as we in the States call it, "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus")  wouldn't be on this CD, eh Swithin?  ;)

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So I take it  "I Saw Mummy Snogging Father Christmas"(or as we in the States call it, "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus")  wouldn't be on this CD, eh  Swithin?  ;)

No, but there is "Sweet is the song the Virgin sang."

There are a few well known carols on the recording: "Deck the halls," "God rest ye merry gentlemen," and "Here we come a wassailing." There is also a song to the tune of "Greensleeves," called "The old year now away is fled."

1 minute ago, Swithin said:

No, but there is "Sweet is the song the Virgin sang."

There are a few well known carols on the recording: "Deck the halls," "God rest ye merry gentlemen," and "Here we come a wassailing." There is also a song to the tune of "Greensleeves," called "The old year now away is fled."

Interesting! Seems the tune to "Greensleeves" has had many different lyrics applied to it over the years.

(...I'm reminded of the song Debbie Reynolds sings in the film How The West Was Won titled "Down in the Valley" here)

9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Interesting! Seems the tune to "Greensleeves" has had many different lyrics applied to it over the years.

(...I'm reminded of the song Debbie Reynolds sings in the film How The West Was Won titled "Down in the Valley" here)

Yes, many versions. One of my favorite of the more contemporary versions is from a Royal Shakespeare Company musical I saw at the Piccadilly Theatre many years ago.  The song is about a Eurasian prostitute.

"She demonstrated the clinging vine, and quickly taught him the sixty-nine. She showed him some of the ways there are, that a lady can draw on a man's cigar."

(The show -- one of the best I've ever seen -- was made into a sadly mediocre movie, but at least it captured some of the original. It was ruined partly by John Cleese, who is no Nigel Hawthorne.)

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I like the many movies in which Ms. Leigh looks like she's always standing at attention! 

What are you, 12 years old?

Thanks AndreaD for reminding me about REMEMBER THE NIGHT '40. I only first saw this about 5 years ago when my film group screened it. I found many parallels to my personal life and several scenes made me cry like a baby. Very embarassing when the lights went up & everyone else was laughing with Christmas cheer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

I admit it!  I am a Christian and I love Christmas, don't care if it's the exact date or not, and I even like Jesus' designated party planner, Santa Claus.

I still hate all the Hallmark movies which are just their usual predictable romances, just with lots of Christmas decorations in the background.

My favorite Christmas movies are the TCM ones: 

Holiday Affair: Over the years  Wendell Corey has supplanted Robert Mitchum in my heart, he's just so good natured about all the disrespect he gets.

Christmas in Connecticut:  I love Barbara Stanwyck and there are some hilarious moments in this one particularly trying to pass off that baby as hers.

I can't enjoy White Christmas for worrying about Vera-Ellen's anorexia.  Her waist is so small, she looks like she's about to snap in two.

My bah humbugs are for TCM  this year totally  leaving out my favorite, Remember the Night  and for only showing my second favorite ,  The Shop Around the Corner late on Christmas Eve. 

Hey AndreaDoria...I found "Remember The Night" on the TCM schedule!  It's playing on Friday, December 18 at 8 p.m. EST, and it will be the only showing of the film this year.  It's one of my favorite holiday movies as well.  Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck not only work well together, but with other cast members in other movies; they seemed like consummate professionals. 

As for Vera-Ellen's 'problem' with anorexia, I read about that many years ago on-line, but I've also seen stories that refute it too.  "White Christmas" is one of my top 5 musicals because of all the great songs scattered throughout the picture.

• Thanks 1

I like to watch films which aren't necessarily about Christmas but have a Christmas scene in them, such as MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, MEET JOHN DOE, HOLIDAY INN. One film which falls in this category that TCM never shows in December is A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, which has a very important to the story number of Christmas scenes.

3 hours ago, midwestan said:

Hey AndreaDoria...I found "Remember The Night" on the TCM schedule!  It's playing on Friday, December 18 at 8 p.m. EST, and it will be the only showing of the film this year.  It's one of my favorite holiday movies as well.  Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck not only work well together, but with other cast members in other movies; they seemed like consummate professionals. 

As for Vera-Ellen's 'problem' with anorexia, I read about that many years ago on-line, but I've also seen stories that refute it too.  "White Christmas" is one of my top 5 musicals because of all the great songs scattered throughout the picture.

Thanks for the heads up on Remember the Night! One of my favorite Christmas films! (one that doesn't have the requisite happy ending). It has just the right amount of heart, but its grounded in reality. Stanwyck is superb as is MacMurray and the rest of the cast. It always brings a tear to my eye. It's one of those films that takes place at Christmas, but there are other serious things going on in the plot that makes it more than just holiday fare.

I forgot to add written by Preston Sturges!!!

Did they do away with schedule reminders with the new upgrade? I can't find the prompt for that. :(

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Thanks for the heads up on Remember the Night! One of my favorite Christmas films! (one that doesn't have the requisite happy ending). It has just the right amount of heart, but its grounded in reality. Stanwyck is superb as is MacMurray and the rest of the cast. It always brings a tear to my eye.

Did they do away with schedule reminders with the new upgrade? I can't find the prompt for that. :(

I don't know about the schedule reminders since I never used that feature under the old system.  After I saw AndreaDoria's post about 'Remember The Night' not being on the TCM December schedule this year, I thought it was odd that it wasn't.  After being off the schedule for a number of years (it's a Paramount flick, I think), it's been pretty consistent for the past 5 or 6 years anyway (could be longer than that).  From memory, since it has been a regular in December, I think it usually only gets shown once, rather than multiple times.  So, if you can't watch it on the 18th, be sure to record it (or hope it shows up in 'On Demand', although there's no guarantee it will).  Anyway, I combed through the entire December schedule last night to see if in fact, the movie was on or off this year's TCM holiday fare.  Happily, I found it.  🎅🏻

• Like 1
2 hours ago, midwestan said:

As for Vera-Ellen's 'problem' with anorexia,

You know some gals are just built like that, especially young althetic types. I had a 22" waist all through my 20's, but boy I never had gorgeous legs like THAT-  

600full-vera--ellen.jpg

You detect anorexia in the face, even those with wide faces just look gaunt. Very-Ellen just looks young & petite with lithe musculature. Similar to Audrey Hepburn, but unfortunately, Audrey truly suffered from malnourishment.

87b2c4ba7748e5ee5650284707aa9c0f.jpg

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

You know some gals are just built like that, especially young althetic types. I had a 22" waist all through my 20's, but boy I never had gorgeous legs like THAT-  

600full-vera--ellen.jpg

You detect anorexia in the face, even those with wide faces just look gaunt. Very-Ellen just looks young & petite with lithe musculature. Similar to Audrey Hepburn, but unfortunately, Audrey truly suffered from malnourishment.

87b2c4ba7748e5ee5650284707aa9c0f.jpg

As a child during WW2 she was, but not in her later years, though there were always rumors she was. Her family disputes this. (Audrey) In Vera-Ellen's case, she was and her health suffered. It has been written about.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

What are you, 12 years old?

:D  Naw.  Just getting practice in to be an old lech.  ;) 

And truly TIKI, I've never experienced a Christmas movie that paralleled anything in my life that made me cry.  Really, the only "parallel" Christmas movie I can think of is A CHRISTMAS STORY in that there were more than one Christmas season that I wanted some particular thing so badly that it completely engulfed my thoughts all December.  And the nostlgia of the movie was more heart warming to me than tear inducing.   And another thing...

More than one person here claimed that HOME ALONE was "mean spirited".  ???   I don't get that.  It's just a fantasy/comedy that takes place during Christmas.  That some claim it their favorite Christmas movie  is OK with me, but I doubt they too, think it's "mean spirited". 

Oh, and another favorite of mine( and likely many others) is the original animated "Grinch" .   I can't abide by that shameful JIM CARREY/RON HOWARD fiasco.  

Sepiatone

Anorexia is a very complicated topic; I speak from my own experience.  The common thread I've heard during years of therapy is some sort of abuse.  Unfortunately, we need food to live and it isn't really an addiction like alcohol and drugs.  I have heard stories about Vera Ellen.  I have also heard dancers in therapy speak of the pressure to be thin (it still happens today).  Judy Garland's mother and the studios put her on diet pills.  This is getting away from the Christmas topic.  I'm not into sappy Hallmark Christmas movies, but some people like them.  As Lavender pointed out, there is a kindness and real heart (plus more talented actors) in the older Christmas movies.

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I like to watch films which aren't necessarily about Christmas but have a Christmas scene in them, such as MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, MEET JOHN DOE, HOLIDAY INN. One film which falls in this category that TCM never shows in December is A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, which has a very important to the story number of Christmas scenes.

And it has the great B.S. Pully as the Christmas tree vendor!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Naw.  Just getting practice in to be an old lech. 

Glad I didn't offend you & you rolled with it. I'm just always amazed when grown men make adolescent comments.

2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I have also heard dancers in therapy speak of the pressure to be thin (it still happens today).

I'm sure every one of those gals pictured above was just naturally young & thin. Yes, I realize many in the entertainment industry receive pressure to stay unrealistically thin even after having babies. Terrible for your career/survival depending on unattainable standards. I'm sure it drove many to eating disorders.

Me? I just switched careers-Viva the natural physique!

• Like 2