Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bring your Christmas blasphemies here.

According to her sons, Audrey loved to cook and to EAT (She loved pasta). The younger son published a cookbook of sorts full of pictures and her favorite recipes. Amazon still sells it.

https://www.amazon.com/Audrey-Home-Memories-Mothers-Kitchen/dp/0062284703/ref=sr_1_1?crid=14KLB0WW39UEO&dchild=1&keywords=audrey+at+home&qid=1607028729&s=books&sprefix=audrey+at+home%2Caps%2C148&sr=1-1

20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

According to her sons, Audrey loved to cook and to EAT (She loved pasta). The younger son published a cookbook of sorts full of pictures and her favorite recipes. Amazon still sells it.

https://www.amazon.com/Audrey-Home-Memories-Mothers-Kitchen/dp/0062284703/ref=sr_1_1?crid=14KLB0WW39UEO&dchild=1&keywords=audrey+at+home&qid=1607028729&s=books&sprefix=audrey+at+home%2Caps%2C148&sr=1-1

The ironic tragedy for Audrey was that even though she had a perfect ballet body and excellent training-

The starvation that she had suffered during World War II at the hands of the Nazis--

Had permanently deprived her of the stamina required of a prima ballerina.

So she sadly had to give up that profession, but very fortunately for us, she chose another one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

The ironic tragedy for Audrey was that even though she had a perfect ballet body and excellent training-

The starvation that she had suffered during World War II at the hands of the Nazis--

Had permanently deprived her of the stamina required of a prima ballerina.

So she sadly had to give up that profession, but very fortunately for us, she chose another one.

Yes, true. That and and the fact she had to stop lessons during the war. In the same vein, Doris Day's car accident while a teenager put the lid on her dancing career and she wound up a singing star and later a Hollywood one. Fate works in strange ways sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

You know some gals are just built like that, especially young althetic types. I had a 22" waist all through my 20's, but boy I never had gorgeous legs like THAT-  

600full-vera--ellen.jpg

You detect anorexia in the face, even those with wide faces just look gaunt. Very-Ellen just looks young & petite with lithe musculature. Similar to Audrey Hepburn, but unfortunately, Audrey truly suffered from malnourishment.

You still have a 22" waist, it is just well insulated now.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
7 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I've gotten teary eyed during It's A Wonderful Life. When Jimmy Stewart is at Nick's Bar and he prays for help, his performance is so real and always gets me.

There are many scenes in IAWL that still after over these 50 years of my first viewing of it bring tears to my eyes, and perhaps chief among them being:

George running up to the stairs to hug his kids but once again grabbing the loose knob from the bannister which used to infuriate him but this time kissing it.

And, the look on Jimmy Stewart's face when his younger brother toasts, "To my big brother George...the richest man in town!"

(...geez, look at me...I'm tearin' up just typin' this out right now)

• Like 3
On 12/2/2020 at 8:57 AM, midwestan said:

I'm reminded of an incident several years ago when I was in the checkout line at a dollar store.  It was a busy Saturday morning, and there was only one cashier to handle a line of people that numbered about 6 or 7.  The girl at the cash register was relatively new on the job and the machine ran out of receipt tape which she had to replace, but couldn't quite get it right until she contacted the manager for assistance.  It took several minutes to get the line moving again, but the scanning machine then decided to act up about 3 people in front of me, which caused further delays.  Most everyone in line took things in stride, like me.  But, this woman who was in front of me started to get un-hinged.  She first started complaining under her breath, then became more vocal about her disgust over the situation.  By the time she got to the cashier, she was letting the girl have it and said something to the effect that if she didn't know what she was doing, the store should hire someone who did!  I kept my mouth shut, but in my imaginative state, I wanted to march the complaining woman out to the parking lot so I could beat some Christmas Spirit into her!👊🏻  As it was, the cashier looked quite crestfallen by the time I got to her.  I re-assured her to not let the mean woman get her down, and that she was doing a good job under the circumstances.  🎅🏻

Man, I'm telling you midwestan,  people who work in retail over Christmas time deserve some kind of special medal  (or actually, a generous cash bonus would do the trick.)

I worked in retail for years  (book stores, and once a liquor store), and believe me, you see all kinds of nasty behaviour.  It takes patience, stamina, and most of all a sense of humour to work in retail at the best of times, and double those qualities over the holidays.

On the other hand, I also sometimes saw people being really kind and pleasant .  All kinds of people Christmas shop, I guess..  (enough words of wisdom from this ex-book store employee.)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

There are many scenes in IAWL that still after over these 50 years of my first viewing of it bring tears to my eyes, and perhaps chief among them being:

George running up to the stairs to hug his kids but once again grabbing the loose knob from the bannister which used to infuriate him but this time kissing it.

And, the look on Jimmy Stewart's face when his younger brother toasts, "To my big brother George...the richest man in town!"

(...geez, look at me...I'm tearin' up just typin' this out right now)

Wow,  both of us are going all soft.    Must be the holiday season.    Thus I wouldn't even speculation that there might be another reason you like IAWL so much.

Donna Reed' Photo | AllPosters.com

On 12/2/2020 at 8:23 AM, midwestan said:

I also like "Christmas in Connecticut", "The Holly and the Ivy", either version of "A Christmas Carol", 

I endorse your sentiments that there were "only" two.  👍

(Unless one of them was the deranged Robert Zemeckis CGI version, in which case, we gotta talk.)

And I promise not to make my annual ear-bending brag that I grew up in "the real-life Bedford (ie. Seneca) Falls" in upstate NY, as a kid.  Even so...um, wanna try that little edgelord performance show again, slayton?  😈

On 12/2/2020 at 1:24 PM, Dargo said:

And so does Stalag 17.

And for my money, contains one of the best Christmas party scenes in any non-Christmas themed movie.

Unless we're including Curse of the Cat People.

On 12/2/2020 at 4:46 PM, Fedya said:

Jingle Bells Disco Noel

I'll see your Jingle Glitterballs, and raise you:   🎸

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SansFin said:

I believe that you may have forgotten that men have the option to become older while never growing up. 

53 minutes ago, Capuchin said:

I resemble that remark!

LOL

Ah, the next episode of "The Highbrow Honeymooners".

(...I LOVE this show!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Wow,  both of us are going all soft.    Must be the holiday season.    Thus I wouldn't even speculation that there might be another reason you like IAWL so much.

;)

Actually James, you'd be correct in not "speculating" in this regard, as while I've always liked Donna Reed and thought her a very good actress, and not to mention admiring her for her involvement in the Another Mother For Peace organization during the Vietnam War, I have to say she never really did that much for me in "that" department.

Hey, um--this thread is for blasphemies.  See the title?  Blasphemies.  Instead all that's happening is people gushing a river of sticky, sicky Christmas sentiment.  Seems people have smoked the mistletoe, and all their wasted eyes see are visions of tinkerbells and snowflakes.  This is meant as a haven for people, irritated beyond endurance at the irrelevance to real human conditions of the standard Christmas offerings, to come and vent their suppressed loathing of them the the tired, hackneyed empty shells used to validate a system based on exploitation and expropriation of rights and individual liberties; and offer instead unsentimental, hard-headed, clear-eyed, down-to-earth alternatives. 

Oh, well.  At least people are throwing words back-and-forth to each other.  That's something.

*grumble*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Hey, um--this thread is for blasphemies.  See the title?  Blasphemies.  Instead all that's happening is people gushing a river of sticky, sicky Christmas sentiment.  Seems people have smoked the mistletoe, and all their wasted eyes see are visions of tinkerbells and snowflakes.  This is meant as a haven for people, irritated beyond endurance at the irrelevance to real human conditions of the standard Christmas offerings, to come and vent their suppressed loathing of them the the tired, hackneyed empty shells used to validate a system based on exploitation and expropriation of rights and individual liberties; and offer instead unsentimental, hard-headed, clear-eyed, down-to-earth alternatives. 

Oh, well.  At least people are throwing words back-and-forth to each other.  That's something.

*grumble*

Well then slayton, perhaps it's the case that more people than you might have thought when you first started this thread considered the idea that NOT liking or appreciating how good, no make that GREAT, Jimmy Stewart is in IAWL, is in ITSELF "blasphemy".

(...but then again, because as you admitted right from the get-go in your thread that you've never made it past the first 10 or 20 minutes of this movie, you've never discovered this)

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well then slayton, perhaps it's the case that more people than you might have thought when you first started this thread considered the idea that NOT liking or appreciating how good, no make that GREAT, Jimmy Stewart is in IAWL, is in ITSELF "blasphemy".

(...but then again, because as you admitted right from the get-go in your thread that you've never made it past the first 10 or 20 minutes of this movie, you've never discovered this)

Admit?  Nay, proclaim.  Take aim at the holy holies and--sniff at them.

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Ah, the next episode of "The Highbrow Honeymooners".

(...I LOVE this show!)

I suspect her comment was a sly way to inform me she's still upset I forgot something on her grocery list and bought a few little toys which caught my eye.

To bring this back to Christmas, we don't really 'do' December 25th. It's not one of her holidays, and for most of my working life, a holiday meant extra work when the staff was out of the office. We exchange gifts on St. Nicholas Day, January 1st, and January 7th (Orthodox Christmas).

• Like 2
9 hours ago, SansFin said:

I believe that you may have forgotten that men have the option to become older while never growing up. 

One of the most welcome benefits of not being subject to becoming pregnant - the choice to remain relatively free with one's attitude.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Admit?  Nay, proclaim.  Take aim at the holy holies and--sniff at them.

Ah, I think I now see where your preconceived pigeonholing of this film has resulted in your inability to appreciate it.

While sure, this movie starts out with some imagined celestial afterlife figures in conversation and is admittedly both sentimental and munipulative in narrative, and also admittedly takes its sweet time in setting up to its ultimate payoff, because you've never stuck with it and thus really have no idea how well it is crafted in near totality, extremely well acted throughout by many of the best actors working during Hollywood's studio era and particularly by Jimmy Stewart, is artistically directed and photographed, and contains so many wonderful lighter comedic touches throughout, you've had in your mind although never having sat through it that this film because of its subject matter is somehow too "holy" or too "sanctified" in order to be bothered with.

And once again regarding Jimmy Stewart's performance in this film...You mentioned in your OP that you thought Edmund Gwenn's performance in Miracle on 34th Street hit all the right notes and more, well, because you've never watched Jimmy's performance in this film, you thus have no idea how well his performance in IAWL would compare favorably with that of Gwenn's.

(...bottom line...NOW I see what your "problem" here is, my old friend) ;) 

11 hours ago, slaytonf said:

*grumble*

Scrooges of the world, unite!  😃

• Like 1
11 hours ago, slaytonf said:

*grumble*

One interesting Christmas movie that is relatively somber given the joyousness of December reveries is "Silent Night, Lonely Night", starring Shirley Jones and Lloyd Bridges.  A couple of strangers meet in a snowy, New England college town.  A woman comes to see her son as she's facing a marriage that's falling apart; a man comes to visit his wife who's in a mental institution following the tragic death of their daughter.  I mean, it just screams CHRISTMAS, doesn't it?  I still haven't figured out if I like the ending to it or not.  Is it hopeful?  Is it tinged with melancholy?  Depending on one's perspective, you could answer 'yes' to both questions.  This film was made in the early 70's, and even though Jones and Bridges were middle aged, they were both drool-worthy to audiences.

15 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Don't tease us like this James!  You know darned good and well that Donna Reed's attempt to wear this get-up to the Bedford Falls High School dance was nixed by those stuffy Hollywood producers back in the day. 😉

• Haha 1

I'll save my dislike for an entire channel: Hallmark.  What once was a brand that sponsored first-rate dramas on the broadcast networks with the Hallmark Hall of Fame or Hallmark Television  Playhouse has become an unwatchable slate of soap operas.  

• Like 2
19 hours ago, SansFin said:

;)  Well, some see it as an option while others consider it an obligation!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 2