Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bring your Christmas blasphemies here.

11 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Hey, um--this thread is for blasphemies.  See the title?  Blasphemies.  Instead all that's happening is people gushing a river of sticky, sicky Christmas sentiment.  Seems people have smoked the mistletoe, and all their wasted eyes see are visions of tinkerbells and snowflakes.  This is meant as a haven for people, irritated beyond endurance at the irrelevance to real human conditions of the standard Christmas offerings, to come and vent their suppressed loathing of them the the tired, hackneyed empty shells used to validate a system based on exploitation and expropriation of rights and individual liberties; and offer instead unsentimental, hard-headed, clear-eyed, down-to-earth alternatives. 

...Oh, postmen, you mean.

2 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

;)  Well, some see it as an option while others consider it an obligation;) 

You mean like to an entire country?  ;)

(...gee Sepia, how topical can you get?!) 

LOL

• Haha 2
16 hours ago, Dargo said:

There are many scenes in IAWL that still after over these 50 years of my first viewing of it bring tears to my eyes, and perhaps chief among them being:

George running up to the stairs to hug his kids but once again grabbing the loose knob from the bannister which used to infuriate him but this time kissing it.

And, the look on Jimmy Stewart's face when his younger brother toasts, "To my big brother George...the richest man in town!"

(...geez, look at me...I'm tearin' up just typin' this out right now)

I'm gonna have to figure this "multi quote" thing again.

Well, like I claimed, I never teared up during any Christmas movie, but did find some scenes moving.  Like in IAWL, it's when George, talking with his old pal Sam on Mary's phone, finally gets it and drops the phone and  Embraces Mary, pledging his love for her.   

And of course, the "honeymoon" scene in the yet restored old Granville house.

Sepiatone

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I'm gonna have to figure this "multi quote" thing again.

Well, like I claimed, I never teared up during any Christmas movie, but did find some scenes moving.  Like in IAWL, it's when George, talking with his old pal Sam on Mary's phone, finally gets it and drops the phone and  Embraces Mary, pledging his love for her.   

And of course, the "honeymoon" scene in the yet restored old Granville house.

Sepiatone

THIS of course Sepia is because you've always been a sucker for that mushy sort'a stuff in movies.  ;)

(...but yeah, terrific scenes too, and ones which I think can illustrate how great film actors can elevate the material they're given)

• Thanks 1

Ok, I know this isn't a music thread.  And I don't want to derail it.  But I just had to post this song, for two reasons.  The first is, if ever there were a "blasphemous" Christmas song, the opposite of sentimental or too heart-warming, this has to be it.  It's a sad story.  Not Christmassy at all.

The second reason is, I absolutely love this song and want to share it here.  It's just a great song, despondent lyrics and all.  I love the music, that sort of country/  roots sound. And whoever did the little animated short to go with the song made it pretty entertaining.  So Much Wine.

• Like 3

I mistakenly viewed TALES FROM THE CRYPT (1972) for the "...And All Through the House" segment  one Holidays season. Unless your idea of Christmas spirit is depression, I wouldn't recommend doing that.

th?id=OIP.cVCj6EeZ6Yzo0j200ZZocQAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=291&h=157

17 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I hate those gross cherry medicine tasting chocolate covered cherries. Blech. 

I haven't eaten chocolate covered cherries since I was a kid and didn't like them then. I

doubt I would like them now. But some cherry flavored medicines are pretty tasty, though

not all. I also don't like hard candy at any time of the year. 

Also those overly decorated houses that look like an exhibit from some 19th century world's fair

celebrating electricity. 

I saw Silent Night, Lonely Night on YT a few years back. Well done Christmas is a drag for some

people film. It also cries out ADULTERY, though I can't remember if Lloyd and Shirley got it on

at the end or stopped just short. At the end they did go their separate ways as I recall. This might 

be a good movie for those folks who get depressed around the holiday season. Hey, you think you've

got it bad, just watch this.

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

22 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I haven't eaten chocolate covered cherries since I was a kid and didn't like them then. I

doubt I would like them now. But some cherry flavored medicines are pretty tasty, though

not all. I also don't like hard candy at any time of the year. 

Actually,  I have to confess:  I really like those chocolate covered cherries, complete with the cherry cream filling.  I liked them as a kid, and I still have a weakness for them. Maybe it depends on the quality of the chocolate maker...there are many different brands that make this confection.

I guess this is what one would call a guilty pleasure.

I loved this one:

Hershey Cherry Blossom Chocolate (45 g) - Instacart

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ok,  I thought it was a pretty good song, and appropriately "down", in keeping with the theme of this thread. Vautrin,  I kind of thought at  least upi might have commented, I know you're a big music guy.

Yeah, I liked it well enough, MissW.

(...but it'll never replace Henry Mancini's version of this similarly sad kind of story in my heart)  ;)

1 hour ago, SansFin said:

I believe that you must seek out Tom Lehrer for true blasphemies in all things.

Can you just imagine how fun and entertaining taking Lehrer's Mathematics courses at UC Santa Cruz would have been, Sans?

(...btw, word is Randy Newman counts him as his biggest influencer)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Actually,  I have to confess:  I really like those chocolate covered cherries, complete with the cherry cream filling.  I liked them as a kid, and I still have a weakness for them. Maybe it depends on the quality of the chocolate maker...there are many different brands that make this confection.

I guess this is what one would call a guilty pleasure.

I loved this one:

Hershey Cherry Blossom Chocolate (45 g) - Instacart

I was listening to a CD earlier while on this site, so I didn't hear it right away. It's somewhat reminiscent

of those parody country songs the Rolling Stones used to do, but better. The lyrics are certainly apropos

for a less than merry Christmas with humor added in. I like maraschino cherries, but I don't know if that's the 

kind they use with chocolate. Another complaint are those boxes of candy that don't have a "map," so you

have to look and try to guess which ones you don't want to eat.

Wow, dig those groovy threads, man.

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I like one a year. We buy a box of four of them and each eat one and then throw away the rest. One is good. The second is sickly sweet. The third is simply gross. It is as if it requires a full year for taste buds to reset so that that first one is again acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

I was listening to a CD earlier while on this site, so I didn't hear it right away. It's somewhat reminiscent

of those parody country songs the Rolling Stones used to do, but better. The lyrics are certainly apropos

for a less than merry Christmas with humor added in. I like maraschino cherries, but I don't know if that's the 

kind they use with chocolate. Another complaint are those boxes of candy that don't have a "map," so you

have to look and try to guess which ones you don't want to eat.

Wow, dig those groovy threads, man.

"Cherry Blossom Clinic"?? Located on the following, I suppose:

20 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ah, I think I now see where your preconceived pigeonholing of this film has resulted in your inability to appreciate it.

While sure, this movie starts out with some imagined celestial afterlife figures in conversation and is admittedly both sentimental and munipulative in narrative, and also admittedly takes its sweet time in setting up to its ultimate payoff, because you've never stuck with it and thus really have no idea how well it is crafted in near totality, extremely well acted throughout by many of the best actors working during Hollywood's studio era and particularly by Jimmy Stewart, is artistically directed and photographed, and contains so many wonderful lighter comedic touches throughout, you've had in your mind although never having sat through it that this film because of its subject matter is somehow too "holy" or too "sanctified" in order to be bothered with.

And once again regarding Jimmy Stewart's performance in this film...You mentioned in your OP that you thought Edmund Gwenn's performance in Miracle on 34th Street hit all the right notes and more, well, because you've never watched Jimmy's performance in this film, you thus have no idea how well his performance in IAWL would compare favorably with that of Gwenn's.

(...bottom line...NOW I see what your "problem" here is, my old friend) ;) 

Dargo, ol' bud, I can see you are channeling Dickens' ghosts and working to get me to see the miserliness of my views.  But I'm a failed Scrooge.  I guess I'll go to sleep in a fearsome grave and have my bed linen stolen from under me. 

I just noticed this, which I overlooked:

On 12/3/2020 at 6:41 PM, EricJ said:

Unless we're including Curse of the Cat People.

An achingly beautiful scene, one of my favorites:

16 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Also those overly decorated houses that look like an exhibit from some 19th century world's fair

celebrating electricity. 

I saw Silent Night, Lonely Night on YT a few years back. Well done Christmas is a drag for some

people film. It also cries out ADULTERY, though I can't remember if Lloyd and Shirley got it on

at the end or stopped just short. At the end they did go their separate ways as I recall. This might 

be a good movie for those folks who get depressed around the holiday season. Hey, you think you've

got it bad, just watch this.

Yes, Vautrin...they 'made it', as the saying goes.  At that point of the film, neither one saw a positive or hopeful outcome for their romantic futures, so they took the plunge.  Just when you thought Shirley and Lloyd were going to eventually hook up for good, they each got news about their estranged spouses that changed the tenor of the film.  Still a good watch, though it can definitely be a bummer kind of movie for those who haven't seen it.

On 12/3/2020 at 7:54 AM, midwestan said:

Hey AndreaDoria...I found "Remember The Night" on the TCM schedule!  It's playing on Friday, December 18 at 8 p.m. EST, and it will be the only showing of the film this year.  It's one of my favorite holiday movies as well.  Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck not only work well together, but with other cast members in other movies; they seemed like consummate professionals. 

Yeh, but I always found MacMurray and Stanwyck shooting each other to death a pretty downer ending for a Christmas film.

Oh, wait, that's another movie, isn't it?

Never mind.

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Dargo, ol' bud, I can see you are channeling Dickens' ghosts and working to get me to see the miserliness of my views.  But I'm a failed Scrooge.  I guess I'll go to sleep in a fearsome grave and have my bed linen stolen from under me. 

Okay, slayton ol' buddy, I'll admit defeat here. As it seems I've got about as much chance of changing YOUR mind about this whole annual December occurrence as I've ever had about changing our friend Vautrin's mind about a certain biennial November occurrence. ;)

(...in other words, none)