Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bring your Christmas blasphemies here.

18 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Actually,  I have to confess:  I really like those chocolate covered cherries, complete with the cherry cream filling.  I liked them as a kid, and I still have a weakness for them. Maybe it depends on the quality of the chocolate maker...there are many different brands that make this confection.

I guess this is what one would call a guilty pleasure.

I loved this one:

Hershey Cherry Blossom Chocolate (45 g) - Instacart

I'm with you MissW.   I usually get the QUEEN ANNE brand cherry "cordials" with dark chocolate.  And Christmas is the only time I get them.  But like Vautrin, I'm also not big on hard candies at Christmas.  Some people refuse to waste them and put out the same hard candies they did the year before.  And do so year after year that they become so strongly stuck together you need a hammer and chisel to get only one piece!   And those Jordan almonds with what seems like PORCELAIN coating aren't a favorite of mine either. Nor too, do I like RIBBON CANDY.  

And as for Christmas lights on houses.....   Since moving here I've quit doing that.  But too, I never overdid it.  Just some "icicle lights" along the roof line and some around the inside of the picture window.  And this year I noticed several homes in neighboring Southgate, MI decorated with Christmas lights a few days before Thanksgiving. And I mean REALLY lit up!   And since my wife's stroke I quit bothering to put up our puny fake tree in the front window.  The window in this house is much smaller than toe one in our previous home and the tree we had would be WAY too big for the room.  So we gave it to her sister who not long ago moved to a house with a huge picture window.  I'm glad to see it put to good use instead of taking up space in the garage.   Sad thing is...

I've still got a ton of not too old and perfectly good Christmas decorations that nobody on either side of the family wants to take off my hands.  And the could get them for FREE!   Several Santas,  and angels of various sizes and enouh ornaments for THREE trees.  And tree lights too.    Too many Scrooges in the family I guess.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

My uncle (actually Great Uncle) used to sell ribbon candy (and other candy).  Give some plain old chocolate (not white) Chanukah Gelt.  Then get out the dreidl and play.

I don't think I've ever had a chocolate covered cherry but I don't think I missed anything (same thing with truffles (fungus not chocolate - those I love) and caviar).

As far as lights, I enjoy looking at them on my street.  They help brighten it, an added bonus, because the people on my street were too cheap to pay for street lights.  An annual tradition on Christmas Eve up here is to have Santa, music, and the fire truck (Santa is from our local fire dept.) come to the neighborhood.  It is so cute watching children of all ages come out.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay, slayton ol' buddy, I'll admit defeat here. As it seems I've got about as much chance of changing YOUR mind about this whole annual December occurrence as I've ever had about changing our friend Vautrin's mind about a certain biennial November occurrence. ;)

(...in other words, none)

seumpQX.jpg?1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

TCM started showing the first Christmas movies of the season this afternoon, and they went all-out on the decorations! 🙃

bejGOcx.jpg

Is there a single set somewhere with the grey-brick background, or do they have multiple sites for the hosts to record at?

I thought they were standing in front of a green screen, and the hosts are still staying close to home.  The background is rather spare, especially when you compare it previous sets.  It looks like a local cable access set, to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, midwestan said:

Yes, Vautrin...they 'made it', as the saying goes.  At that point of the film, neither one saw a positive or hopeful outcome for their romantic futures, so they took the plunge.  Just when you thought Shirley and Lloyd were going to eventually hook up for good, they each got news about their estranged spouses that changed the tenor of the film.  Still a good watch, though it can definitely be a bummer kind of movie for those who haven't seen it.

I really couldn't recall if they did. I seem to remember there were hints of a little harmless semi-nakedness.

I did kind of hope they would get together, but alas it was not to be. It is on the depressing side, certainly

not one of those Hallmark goofests. And very well done. The winter weatherscape is charming on one side,

but all that cold is a bit depressing on the other. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, NoShear said:

Touche, Vautrin!

Or, dare I type it: 'SHAZAM'!

Yep. The Move was one of those English groups I read about when I was a teenager, but their music

wasn't heard very much in the U.S. It was only much later that I bought some Move CDs. This is a minor

point, but the album covers I have are pretty ugly, not that has anything to do with the music inside.

5 hours ago, SansFin said:

seumpQX.jpg?1

Gee, how "Zen" here, Sans. Thanks!

(...and of which I get a lot of here in Sedona...those woo-woos are EVERYWHERE around here, ya know)  ;)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I thought they were standing in front of a green screen, and the hosts are still staying close to home.  The background is rather spare, especially when you compare it previous sets.  It looks like a local cable access set, to be honest.

Yeah, gotta admit even Bob and Doug McKenzie had a better backdrop than Dave here does, huh Tex.

(...not to mention Garth and Wayne)

• Haha 2
18 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Is there a single set somewhere with the grey-brick background, or do they have multiple sites for the hosts to record at?

I imagine these are shot in house, I don't see "green screen" lines. My guess is the "walls" are interchangeable, free standing & rolling and they can bring forward/take away furniture & props. It's just a well lit stage like any other.

I LOVE The Handsome Family, they must be Canadian since we're the only two who are familiar with them.

I also loved THE MOVE...that's ELO's drummer Bev Bevan with the black bouffant.

I was just lamenting about the possibility of never enjoying the camaraderie of a crowded concert experience again....and remembered someone passing a fully packed peace pipe down my row in the 70's. That guy below is double dipping' having both the pipe & a cigarette! Merry Christmas!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Re: "The Move was one of those English groups I read about when I was a teenager..."

Here are a couple of brief reads about the MOVE that may or may not have escaped your rock literary eye, Vautrin - the first is from Nik Cohn which is something I read about the MOVE when I was a teenager:

content?id=-krhAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA221&img=1&pgis=1&dq=Tony+Secunda&sig=ACfU3U0aJdz9J0VF-OeD_jEpZfRvOqdYCA&edge=0

And, on the subject of bandwagon hopping which was the MOVE, there is also the following caption from an unknown writer for that familiar photo of the MOVE that read something like this:

The-Move-1967-Colour-Pic.jpg

"The Move, seen during their Sgt. Pepper's period, keep watchful eyes out for the next bandwagon to come along."

• Haha 1

Never heard of The Move before.  Listening to the posted clips, they seemed to be a typical late '60's formulaic pop band.  Nothing really sensational about what they did.   But nothing ear assaulting either.   I guess even in the late '60's the "tweeny-bop"  bubble gummers   deserved some attention.  ;) 

"Flowers In The Rain"?  Well....  I prefer.....  ( and yeah, I know it's from years earlier.  ;)  )

Sepiatone

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Re: "I guess even in the late '60's the "tweeny-bop"  bubble gummers   deserved some attention.  ;)"

I think you've got the wrong demographic for the MOVE proper: There's was the latter day Swinging London-****-UFO Club set. 

1 hour ago, NoShear said:

Re: "...There's was the latter day Swinging London-****-UFO Club set."

MOVin' with the crowd:                       

I figured the interior of the RICKY-TICK was studio but surprised that even the exterior street scene was shot at Elstree Studios as well.

On 12/4/2020 at 12:28 AM, speedracer5 said:

I hate those gross cherry medicine tasting chocolate covered cherries. Blech. 

On 12/4/2020 at 7:03 PM, SansFin said:

I like one a year. We buy a box of four of them and each eat one and then throw away the rest. One is good. The second is sickly sweet. The third is simply gross. It is as if it requires a full year for taste buds to reset so that that first one is again acceptable.

I just realized, the chocolate cherries I'm thinking of were made by Lowney's,  a Canadian company.  They made different kinds of chocolate, but their specialty really was chocolate covered cherries.  The pic I posted is a confection they made called "Cherry Blossom".  It had a real milk chocolate covering, with nuts, then a cherry cream layer, then a cherry liquor  (fake liquor, no doubt) layer, then the cherry.  I thought it was sublimely delicious when I was a kid.  I'm not sure if they're still around, or even if Lowney's Chocolate is still around.

Anyway, I could be wrong, I haven't sampled American chocolate cherries, but it could be that Lowney's version was less sickly sweet and more just plain yummy. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, NoShear said:

Here are a couple of brief reads about the MOVE that may or may not have escaped your rock literary eye, Vautrin - the first is from Nik Cohn which is something I read about the MOVE when I was a teenager:

content?id=-krhAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA221&img=1&pgis=1&dq=Tony+Secunda&sig=ACfU3U0aJdz9J0VF-OeD_jEpZfRvOqdYCA&edge=0

And, on the subject of bandwagon hopping which was the MOVE, there is also the following caption from an unknown writer for that familiar photo of the MOVE that read something like this:

The-Move-1967-Colour-Pic.jpg

"The Move, seen during their Sgt. Pepper's period, keep watchful eyes out for the next bandwagon to come along."

I could only get those two brief paragraphs, but I'm sure the Wiki article has some good info and sources

for further reading. I seem to recall that PM Harold Wilson sued The Move for libel/slander for some

reason and he won the suit. I don't think they ever tried to hide the fact that they were partly influenced by

the Sgt. Pepper-era Beatles. I did buy the first ELO album with the later Move line-up of Roy Wood, Jeff Lynne,

and Bev Bevan as the only members. I know Bevan stayed with ELO for a fairly long time. The guy on the bottom

right looks like Neil Young, though it isn't of course. The Move produced some very fine and sometimes weird

pop songs for sure.

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Anyway, I could be wrong, I haven't sampled American chocolate cherries, but it could be that Lowney's version was less sickly sweet and more just plain yummy. 

The two mainstays in our area are Brach's and Queen Anne. Brach's is a delicate mixture of high fructose corn syrup and #2 Diesel fuel enshrouding an ersatz 'cherry' made of partially-recycled cellulose. Queen Anne tastes as if it they have the advantage of at least passing over a vat of simmering real chocolate on the production line. They also do not overload the senses with their sweetness and texture. They do max out those senses which is why having a second one is ill-advised.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Nah, they're all just as gaggingly sweet.  For all those who want to know too much:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Blossom_(candy)

For those in the USA, we were sickened by:

https://www.tootsie.com/candy/cellas-cherries/cellas-chocolate-covered-cherries

On 12/5/2020 at 6:24 PM, Dargo said:

Gee, how "Zen" here, Sans. Thanks!

(...and of which I get a lot of here in Sedona...those woo-woos are EVERYWHERE around here, ya know)  ;)

It is not so much Zen as it is establishing a limit. I observe a line between stating personal views and attacking some other person's views. An alternate way of expressing the sentiment is: “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Re: "I seem to recall that PM Harold Wilson sued The Move for libel/slander for some reason and he won the suit."

Harold Wilson was the MOVE's preferred game to my knowledge: Besides the "Flowers in the Rain" promotional scandal, the group's wannabe the WHO stage experience extended to destroying an effigy of the(n) Prime Minister!

53 minutes ago, SansFin said:

It is not so much Zen as it is establishing a limit. I observe a line between stating personal views and attacking some other person's views. An alternate way of expressing the sentiment is: “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain. A more compelling non-PC expression is: "Arguing on the internet is like running at the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still re.tarded."

Of course on the other hand here Sans, because everyone who so far has participated in this thread couldn't in any legitimate way at all be described as either "an idiot" or as "re.tarted", I think perhaps a better choice of quote from Mr. Twain's vast number of memorable ones and which might be more apropros to these specific proceedings could be:

"Let us make a special effort to stop communicating with each other, so we can have some conversation."

(...wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Of course on the other hand here Sans, because everyone who so far has participated in this thread couldn't in any legitimate way at all be described as either "an idiot" or as "re.tarted", I think perhaps a better choice of quote from Mr. Twain's vast number of memorable ones and which might be more apropros to these specific proceedings could be:

"Let us make a special effort to stop communicating with each other, so we can have some conversation."

(...wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

I will not disagree.

A slightly blasphemous video:

• Like 1