Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bring your Christmas blasphemies here.


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, NoShear said:

 I think you've got the wrong demographic for the MOVE proper: There's was the latter day Swinging London-****-UFO Club set. 

Was only going by examples offered.  Since their "heyday" started in '65 and considering where music was at and where it was heading at that time, it seemed to me THE MONKEES rocked harder than what I've heard here.  Of course, by '67 when The Move was doing the "Cherry Blossom Clinic" thing,  another artist from UK was giving us THIS!  ;) 

And in another vein, a year earlier a local Michigan artist was doing......

I still think, given The Move's examples given here, my "Tweeny-bop" "bubble gummer" critique was spot on.

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Okay, you asked for it--
You want Christmas blasphemies?  I'LL give you freakin' Christmas blasphemy:

...I don't hate Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime".  So there.   Nyeh.  😝

(And although "Pipes of Peace" wasn't a Christmas song, he did give it a nice WWI-Christmas motif in the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwyFTRGiIUU  )

 

OK, I say this every year, but although I completely HATE Macca's goofy Christmas attempt( with the world's worst use of electronic synthesizers)  I equally dislike Leenon's try, which to me seems to only change the lyrics of THIS song!

Listen to these two and hear what I  mean-----

See?  ;) 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Okay, you asked for it--
You want Christmas blasphemies?  I'LL give you freakin' Christmas blasphemy:

...I don't hate Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime".  So there.   Nyeh.  😝

(And although "Pipes of Peace" wasn't a Christmas song, he did give it a nice WWI-Christmas motif in the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwyFTRGiIUU  )

 

So are you saying Paul's song wasn't so bad?

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

OK, I say this every year, but although I completely HATE Macca's goofy Christmas attempt( with the world's worst use of electronic synthesizers)  I equally dislike Leenon's try, which to me seems to only change the lyrics of THIS song!

Listen to these two and hear what I  mean-----

See?  ;) 

Sepiatone

The reason is that "Stewball" is not an original song by Peter, Paul & Mary.  It's a folk song going back several hundred years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skewball

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Re: "Was only going by examples offered.  Since their "heyday" started in '65 and considering where music was at and where it was heading at that time, it seemed to me THE MONKEES rocked harder than what I've heard here.  Of course, by '67 when The Move was doing the "Cherry Blossom Clinic" thing,  another artist from UK was giving us THIS!  ;)...

 

I still think, given The Move's examples given here, my "Tweeny-bop" "bubble gummer" critique was spot on."

 I was speaking more to WHO went to see the MOVE and the group's presumed target crowd .

 I can hear why you're lumping their freakbeat tunes into the bubblegum set.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EricJ said:

Okay, you asked for it--
You want Christmas blasphemies?  I'LL give you freakin' Christmas blasphemy:

...I don't hate Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime".  So there.   Nyeh.  😝

 

 

*Gasp!* I'm shocked!

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

The reason is that "Stewball" is not an original song by Peter, Paul & Mary.  It's a folk song going back several hundred years.

Yes, Lennon's Christmas song always struck me as a sort of lullaby variation of a standard folk tune with Italian mandolin flourishes & chorale. Wholly acceptable to borrow a classic format, especially for a Christmas song. McCartney's Christmas song otoh is hokey & unlistenable, one of the worst songs of his career. (now that's blasphemous!)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

The reason is that "Stewball" is not an original song by Peter, Paul & Mary.  It's a folk song going back several hundred years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skewball

Don't know what your point here is TX,  But the song does only go back a couple of hundred years.  Really, the version PP&M sing is the version developed by LEADBELLY and WOODY GUTHRIE in mid 20th century.  But the point is that Lennon's Christmas tune sounds too much like "Stewball" to be thought of as anything original.    And while TIKI might think it's OK to "borrow" a "classic" format, I'd hardly put Stewball in that category.  But I do agree whole heartedly with her take on McCartney's song.  ;) 

Sepiatone

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Don't know what your point here is TX,  But the song does only go back a couple of hundred years.  Really, the version PP&M sing is the version developed by LEADBELLY and WOODY GUTHRIE in mid 20th century.  But the point is that Lennon's Christmas tune sounds too much like "Stewball" to be thought of as anything original.    And while TIKI might think it's OK to "borrow" a "classic" format, I'd hardly put Stewball in that category.  But I do agree whole heartedly with her take on McCartney's song.  ;) 

Sepiatone

My point was that Lennon didn't really steal anything from Peter Paul & Mary.   Both of the songs tie back to the original folk song that's in the public domain. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

But I do agree whole heartedly with her take on McCartney's song

The McCartney song would've made a wonderful 30-60 second seasonal commercial jingle. After that length of time, however, it becomes very tiresome to keep hearing.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mister37 said:

Is saying "Merry Christmas" considered to be cultural blasphemy now?

I'm just asking for a friend.

No that was just right-wing propaganda mostly promoted by Fox Fake News  host.

The term was changed by retailers in order to increase sales.      In the USA,  following-the-money is a tell. 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2020 at 12:08 PM, mister37 said:

Changed to what?

Season greetings.   Happy Holidays.     I.e. something NOT limited to Christians \ Christmas.

Something that may compels atheist like myself to purchase gifts for others during December.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2020 at 7:24 AM, TikiSoo said:

Yes, Lennon's Christmas song always struck me as a sort of lullaby variation of a standard folk tune with Italian mandolin flourishes & chorale. Wholly acceptable to borrow a classic format, especially for a Christmas song. McCartney's Christmas song otoh is hokey & unlistenable, one of the worst songs of his career. (now that's blasphemous!)

Does it count as "blasphemy" to, every time radio stations play Lennon's "Happy Christmas (The War is Over)", be seized with a desire to sing along:
"On top of spaghetti/All covered with cheese/I lost my poor meatball/When somebody sneezed....It rolled out the doorway/And into the blue/Come back to Jamaica/We're waiting for you..." ?😅

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have my copy of Lennon's Christmas song, complete with green vinyl.

The proper title of the song is HAPPY XMAS (War Is Over). 

 

I give half a thumbs down to Christmas parades. I know they're meant mostly for kids

and their parents, which is fine, but Santa riding in a fire truck with local "celebrities"

following in vintage cars to just lame, especially if it's not that cold out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I still have my copy of Lennon's Christmas song, complete with green vinyl.

The proper title of the song is HAPPY XMAS (War Is Over). 

 

I give half a thumbs down to Christmas parades. I know they're meant mostly for kids

and their parents, which is fine, but Santa riding in a fire truck with local "celebrities"

following in vintage cars to just lame, especially if it's not that cold out. 

Wow,  I wonder what the value is of that?

I use to have The Beatles Christmas album.   This was a compilations of the annual Christmas release down by the band each year.   It was very interesting to listen to; E.g.  the first 2 years they were very humble,  but after a few they were a little cocky;  I.e. they knew that they were cultural icons.

This album was only provided to select members of The Beatles Fan Club.   Very exclusive.

We got the album from a girl that was about our age (15).     Her older sister was a member of the club and had moved to go to grad  school.   Our friend had no idea of its value so she sold it too us for a song.        BUT when the sister came back,  she was very upset.   She contracted our parents and we were forced to return it to her (or they were going to sue our parents).

Dang,  that album is worth thousand today  (I believe we paid her 2 bucks!).

Yea,  I was a very bad teenager.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

I still have my copy of Lennon's Christmas song, complete with green vinyl.

The proper title of the song is HAPPY XMAS (War Is Over). 

 

I give half a thumbs down to Christmas parades. I know they're meant mostly for kids

and their parents, which is fine, but Santa riding in a fire truck with local "celebrities"

following in vintage cars to just lame, especially if it's not that cold out. 

Christmas parades were created to bring families downtown so the kids could badger parents into purchasing something.  Same with department store santas.  As in A Christmas Story.

Every "town" around here had one this year, even the ones that barely qualify as a crossroads.  They are all very lame.  Remove the fire trucks, police cars, government "officials," high school band and dance studio kids advertising the studios and you don't have much left.

Oh, and I never liked the Beatles.  A couple of songs, such as Yesterday, are not too bad, but as for the others I passed then and I pass now.  I have purchased a lot of CD's over the past several years of music from the 50's-70's, but none with the Beatles.

While on this thread.  I don't like It's a Wonderful Life at all - too sappy and silly.  I will watch George C. Scott's A Christmas Carol, but pass on the others.  My wife watches all of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Wow,  I wonder what the value is of that?

I use to have The Beatles Christmas album.   This was a compilations of the annual Christmas release down by the band each year.   It was very interesting to listen to; E.g.  the first 2 years they were very humble,  but after a few they were a little cocky;  I.e. they knew that they were cultural icons.

This album was only provided to select members of The Beatles Fan Club.   Very exclusive.

We got the album from a girl that was about our age (15).     Her older sister was a member of the club and had moved to go to grad  school.   Our friend had no idea of its value so she sold it too us for a song.        BUT when the sister came back,  she was very upset.   She contracted our parents and we were forced to return it to her (or they were going to sue our parents).

Dang,  that album is worth thousand today  (I believe we paid her 2 bucks!).

Yea,  I was a very bad teenager.  

I think in the annals of teenage misdemeanors what you did wasn't too bad, though if I was the older

sister I'd be angry too. I've never thought to check on the value of my 45. It really wasn't a hit in the

U.S. so it may be a bit more rare than other, more popular Lennon singles. I'll have to check it out.

The record itself is in good condition, though the black Apple sleeve is a bit worn. The song is

credited Ono-Lennon.

I have a Dali ashtray that was made for an Air India contest from the early 1970s. My father gave it away

to someone who admired it, though it's not conventionally "pretty." I threw a fit and got it back. I had

forgotten about it, but surfing through the net, today is the 40th anniversary of Lennon's assassination.

Wish I hadn't seen that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

Christmas parades were created to bring families downtown so the kids could badger parents into purchasing something.  Same with department store santas.  As in A Christmas Story.

Every "town" around here had one this year, even the ones that barely qualify as a crossroads.  They are all very lame.  Remove the fire trucks, police cars, government "officials," high school band and dance studio kids advertising the studios and you don't have much left.

Oh, and I never liked the Beatles.  A couple of songs, such as Yesterday, are not too bad, but as for the others I passed then and I pass now.  I have purchased a lot of CD's over the past several years of music from the 50's-70's, but none with the Beatles.

While on this thread.  I don't like It's a Wonderful Life at all - too sappy and silly.  I will watch George C. Scott's A Christmas Carol, but pass on the others.  My wife watches all of them.

I know the merchants of Hendersonville will use any excuse to gin up some downtown parade so folks

will purchase their overpriced junk, and I'm sure it's the same all over. As an adult, they never seemed

very Christmasy to me. I'm a big Beatles fan and have most of their American records on vinyl and most

of their British records on CDs. Guilty as charged, but to each their own. I've seen IAWL so many times that

I now watch it if I feel like it and skip it otherwise. Yes it is super sappy, but there are those few scenes

where Jimmy looks like he's about to go pyscho. I like most of the other Christmas movies, but once a year

is fine. Coincidence. I'm listening to Christmas carols and Lennon's song was just on followed by Eartha

Kitt's version of Santa Baby.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...