Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bring your Christmas blasphemies here.

10 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I think the Christian Evangelicals and Republicans started this whole anything other than Merry Christmas is evil.   I do not recall this ever being a discussion until fairly recently.

I was in retail the last decade and that's where it was brought to my attention. I assume  corporate headquarters didn't want anyone to feel "excluded" so "Happy Holidays" was the suggested greeting.

It offends & always confounds me how un-Christian-like Christmas has become. Obviously, it's been this way a long time-

miracle.jpeg?w=798

"Namasté" means "The light in me recognizes the light in you"

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

the ringers are always dead in the eyes and ring the bell mechanically

About the eyes thing - that has not been my experience. I smile at them and they smile back with both mouth and eyes.

As for the ringing the bell mechanically thing - how else would they ring those bells if not "mechanically"?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yes, I believe they are trained to do that, Polly. I've heard they've taken the same courses in this as the TSA agents you see at airports!  LOL

:o  You don't mean THESE TSA agents, do ya?  :wacko:

:D

Sepiatone

I have no problem with someone wishing me a Merry Christmas (even though I will light the first candle on my Menorah tonight).  I will tell the person I'm Jewish but thank them anyway.  As long as someone isn't trying to proselytize me and ask me to support their religion, I'm okay.

I agree that retail takes away from the true meaning of Christmas.  I also am aware that Christmas, like the High Holy Days, is when those who don't attend Mass or services regularly (even via Zoom) feel obligated to go to church.

• Haha 1
On 12/10/2020 at 7:49 AM, TikiSoo said:

"Namasté" means "The light in me recognizes the light in you"

Oh.  Anyone else keep confusing it with "Namarie", Tolkien's Elvish "aloha"?

On 12/9/2020 at 8:54 PM, Princess of Tap said:

You must live in a really big city with millions of people-- where  there's bound to be a little bit of coldness and monotony.

Where I live --all my life-- the Bell Ringers for the Salvation Army have been warm and cordial people who stand in front of Kroger's, Walmart, Walgreens Etc.

They stand outside the stores in the cold and they never stop smiling and wishing you a Merry Christmas-- whether you drop something in the bucket or not.

No matter how frazzled or tired I feel when I see them, somehow they always manage to cheer me up-- even on the way into Walmart.LOL

We have a small town with one big main street, and one historic ex-department store that's now an indoor market, and therefore only one bell ringer, apart from the strip-mall groceries.

It's just cuddly tradition, like the lights on the street trees, so why not pitch in change every time we pass by?  😇  (Or dollars, because nobody's got coins during the Touchless Electronic-Pay pandemic.)

On 12/2/2020 at 1:08 PM, speedracer5 said:

I like Christmas music to a point, but I prefer old school Christmas music to the newest lame pop singer trying to sing "White Christmas" or what have you.  

Pop singers have a right to sing any Christmas song they want to, with two enforceable exceptions:
1)  "My Fav'rite Things" from Sound of Music is NOT A FREAKIN' CHRISTMAS SONG!, just because the singer "likes" snowflakes, sleigh bells and wrapped packages,

and

2) "Mele Kalikimaka" must be sung by Bing Crosby & the Andrews Sisters.  Anyone else, non-negotiable...No touchy.

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:o  You don't mean THESE TSA agents, do ya?  :wacko:

:D

Sepiatone

LOL

Well, kind'a sort'a anyway, Sepia.

However of course, my actual point was that jobs such as those as TSA airport screeners are monotonous, repetitive and thankless.

(...and unfortunately thankless in particular, as much of the traveling public resents having to go through this process, and even though in today's world it's extremely necessary)

• Like 1
On 12/9/2020 at 3:13 PM, Polly of the Precodes said:

I don't care if store clerks say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays." But I HATE Salvation Army bellringers in or in front of stores. Apart from certain policies of the parent organization, the ringers are always dead in the eyes and ring the bell mechanically. (Are they trained to do that?).

I hate the bell ringers too.  Regardless of the Salvation Army's policies, I find the bell sound so annoying that I don't want to support it with money.  I cannot imagine ringing that damn bell day in and day out.  No wonder the ringer is dead in the eyes.  A little piece of them probably dies with each ding of the bell.  The Salvation Army should just install a little mobile pond at each store--people seem to love to throw their money in water, whether it belongs there or not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
20 hours ago, EricJ said:

Oh.  Anyone else keep confusing it with "Namarie", Tolkien's Elvish "aloha"?

It's just cuddly tradition, like the lights on the street trees, so why not pitch in change every time we pass by?  😇  (Or dollars, because nobody's got coins during the Touchless Electronic-Pay pandemic.)

Pop singers have a right to sing any Christmas song they want to, with two enforceable exceptions:

I hardly ever agree with you Eric, but I do on every point you've made here, most notably- why NOT contribute to the Salvation Army, they really do so much good for our fellow citizens. I was happy to see many of our new Representatives thrift shop for their work suits: recycle & help fund programs for those in need. I bet the contribution helps the ringers get through their shift.

Also agree with your disdain of Favorite Things as a Christmas song unless it's John Coltrane's version which is always appropriate. Another Bing/Andrews Sisters Hawaiian song interpreted by the late, great Leon Redbone:

In Tiki Sue's rotation, natch.

Funny, I first thought of Aloha is a comparison to Namasé as an all encompassing greeting. Not surprised Tolkein borrowed the ancient term.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I hate the bell ringers too.  Regardless of the Salvation Army's policies, I find the bell sound so annoying that I don't want to support it with money.  I cannot imagine ringing that damn bell day in and day out.  No wonder the ringer is dead in the eyes.  A little piece of them probably dies with each ding of the bell.  The Salvation Army should just install a little mobile pond at each store--people seem to love to throw their money in water, whether it belongs there or not.

The Salvation Army has lost a lot of donations this year because of covid and before that there are loses because more people don't carry cash anymore.

Even though it may be annoying, bell ringing helps people remember that there are people in their neighborhoods who won't have a Christmas without their help.

Ask them if it is annoying.

uTl1wuH02p4DKdDZE7yYv_t3kDeKsvqgrlBzc0Ff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Also agree with your disdain of Favorite Things as a Christmas song unless it's John Coltrane's version which is always appropriate.

Yes,  the Trane song version is one for the ages.

But I like My Favorite Things;   great song to play since one gets tried of playing 4\ 4 songs over and over.    I just yell out "Ok,  guys,  waltz time" and they know what to play.

We do the song with a cool intro vamp of Fmin with a natural 7th  \ Em7.      It is very hypnotic.  

22 hours ago, Dargo said:

However of course, my actual point was that jobs such as those as TSA airport screeners are monotonous, repetitive and thankless.

Sorta like a supermarket cashier's job, eh?  ;)   Or a Salvation Army's bell ringing Santa Claus.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, hamradio said:

The Salvation Army has lost a lot of donations this year because of covid and before that there are loses because more people don't carry cash anymore.

Even though it may be annoying, bell ringing helps people remember that there are people in their neighborhoods who won't have a Christmas without their help.

Ask them if it is annoying.

uTl1wuH02p4DKdDZE7yYv_t3kDeKsvqgrlBzc0Ff

Ham, you make a very good point here.

And how can any one of these people who really have no respect for the Salvation Army know when they're going to need the help of the Salvation Army?

That's life.....

• Like 1

I agree, Jean is a favorite. Not to derail the thread, just wanted to Thank Dargo for the heads up awhile back for Blue Bloods.  Can't believe it's in it's 11th season and I didn't watch. I've been binge watching the series and I love it.  My boy Tom may not be the cutie he was as Magnum since it's 30-40 years later but Tom and the the rest of the cast are top notch. Thanks Dargo for turning me on to Blue Bloods ;)

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I agree, Jean is a favorite. Not to derail the thread, just wanted to Thank Dargo for the heads up awhile back for Blue Bloods.  Can't believe it's in it's 11th season and I didn't watch. I've been binge watching the series and I love it.  My boy Tom may not be the cutie he was as Magnum since it's 30-40 years later but Tom and the the rest of the cast are top notch. Thanks Dargo for turning me on to Blue Bloods ;)

You're quite welcome, lav.

(...glad to hear you're enjoying the program)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, well, what I wanna know why it is none of those Salvation Army women I see out there ever look like THIS cutie here from Guys and Dolls???...

giphy.gif

(...answer me THAT!)  ;)

I'd take my salvation from her any day of the week.    

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'd take my salvation from her any day of the week.    

You mean you'd two-time on MARTHA???!!!

(...man, you're as fickle as I am, dude!)  ;)

I got my first Christmas card of the season yesterday.  Seems I get fewer and fewer each year, and I'm not sure why this tradition has died out.  As far as I know, only one person on my list is deceased (I send out about 20 or so each year).  I tried to make things interesting about 15 years ago by making a contest out of it by holding my Christmas Card Sweepstakes Extravaganza in which I'd send homemade cookies to the person who sent me the first card after Thanksgiving.  I'll make cookies today and send off some goodies to this year's winner in Florida either Monday or Tuesday.  Sending cards out to people is one way of letting them know you're still alive and kicking, but most people don't even respond electronically either.  A lot of friends are on Facebook, but I haven't posted anything there since last Spring as I don't trust the corporate overlords who run that site to have the best interests of its users at heart.  Commercial Christmas is a bummer, just like sappy, sticky sweet Christmas is too, but only because both realities are overdone to death...like so many things today, moderation has become a dirty word. ☹️🎅

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I got my first Christmas card of the season yesterday.  Seems I get fewer and fewer each year, and I'm not sure why this tradition has died out.  As far as I know, only one person on my list is deceased (I send out about 20 or so each year).  I tried to make things interesting about 15 years ago by making a contest out of it by holding my Christmas Card Sweepstakes Extravaganza in which I'd send homemade cookies to the person who sent me the first card after Thanksgiving.  I'll make cookies today and send off some goodies to this year's winner in Florida either Monday or Tuesday.  Sending cards out to people is one way of letting them know you're still alive and kicking, but most people don't even respond electronically either.  A lot of friends are on Facebook, but I haven't posted anything there since last Spring as I don't trust the corporate overlords who run that site to have the best interests of its users at heart.  Commercial Christmas is a bummer, just like sappy, sticky sweet Christmas is too, but only because both realities are overdone to death...like so many things today, moderation has become a dirty word. ☹️🎅

We get fewer and send fewer each year.  Lots of people use facebook, etc. or that internet thing that lets you send a Christmas card - if it is still around.  I never opened them the few I received in the past.

Course it does cut down on waste and is therefore good for the environment.😀