Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which has the better movies in your opinion?

Well, I have a tie between RKO and MGM.

RKO made pretty good movies in its day but MGM kept going. Plus, MGM probably had the greatest amount of stars like they claimed.

But, I guess it depends on what kind of genre. MGM definately did better musicals. RKO made some really good films too.

To me, its a tie between MGM and FOX. But I do like RKO from the mid-40s to the early 50s since they did so many great low budget film noirs. When Howard Hughes took over RKO the product suffered.

1. MGM

2. WARNER BROTHERS

3. RKO

4. PARAMOUNT

5. UNIVERSAL

6. COLUMBIA

7. FOX

In my opinion Fox is the worst of all the studios. Their "Studio Classics" haven't been too spectacular, and any studio whose biggest stars were an ice-skating queen and a little curly-haired girl doesn't merit greatness. They did have pretty good shorts like Charlie Chan.

I might be in the minority in saying I don't have much of a preference. I barely pay attention to what studio a movie comes from when I watch it, and my favorites are pretty much evenly scattered across the board.

I Love Universal for it's classic Horrors, and love Paramount for it's great pre-code gems like Cecil B DeMille films, the early Marx bros, Island of Lost Souls, Murders in the zoo etc. My third favorite studio is WB because i love their crime dramas.

nickdimeo, I would really have to disagree with you regarding FOX. The studio has had their share of great classics including: LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN, ALL ABOUT EVE, GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT, LAURA, CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE, LETTER TO THREE WIVES, THE BLACK SWAN, ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND, THE SNAKE PIT, NORTHSIDE 777, SEVEN YEAR ITCH and on and on. I personally would rate FOX above Columbia any day. Frank Capra put Columbia on the map and that is what distinguishes them although they did turn out a number a excellent films in the 50s.

I think each studio excelled in different areas. MGM had the best big budget films (and they also of course boasted the most big stars). I do love RKO's B films of the 30s and film noirs of the 40s. There are so many hidden gems in that RKO vault - and of course that's where Fred and Ginger were for most of their films! Universal had the great horror films of the early 30s - Frankenstein, Dracula... and Columbia had some great films in the 30s - great social commentaries and cute comedies (most of them from Frank Capra). Paramount and Fox I think both had some great Pre-Code films, and I also like some of Fox's B films from the 40s.

• 2 months later...

MGM was by far the best in my opinion. Best people, best technical quality, best films overall. If for nothing else, Metro will always be known and loved for their musicals. And who could forget Tom & Jerry?

Paramount is a close second, by virtue of Bing Crosby, and his films such as Going My Way, Blue Skies (with Fred Astaire), and White Christmas? Speaking of Astaire, I'm not crazy about his RKO films with Ginger Rogers. I prefer the films he made for MGM in the late 40s and into the 50s.

In third is Warner Bros. I like their Doris Day musicals from the 50s, as well as A Star Is Born (the Judy Garland version), Auntie Mame (1958). Several of their musicals from the 60s. And I must be like the only person on earth who likes the musical version of Mame (1974) with Lucille Ball.

I also like Disney. Some of their animated films from the 1950s can't be beat. Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland are my favorites. Also love a number of their live action films from the late 50s/early 60s, such as Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, Pollyanna, and Parent Trap. Pollyanna is my favorite.

20th Century Fox had Rodgers and Hammerstein, CinemaScope 55, Hello Dolly, Ethel Merman in Call Me Madam, but little else that I care for, although I wish they'd do a STATE FAIR DVD boxed set with all 3 versions (1933, 1945, and 1962).

Columbia is mentionable solely because of The Three Stooges.

In my opinion, Universal is negligible, although they had their goodies. The 1936 version of Show Boat, for example. Someone needs to put that film on DVD NOW! Maybe a SHOW BOAT boxed set with all 3 versions is in order? And To Kill A Mockingbird will always be a favorite.

I think there were four biggies during the heyday of the studio contract system: Metro, Warner Bros., Fox and Paramount. Each had their specialties and all of them had big budget films. All of them had contract stars that were built under the studio contract system under which most of them had five to seven-year contracts.

MGM had the best all-star musicals; Warner Bros. seemed to have the best strong melodramas; Fox and Paramount had a good mix of both musical comedies and dramas.

The other studios had lower budgets but some awfully good products too. I'm referring to Columbia, Universal and RKO. And then there were United Artists, Republic, Monogram, etc....at the lower end of the chain.

For me, it's RKO, no contest. MGM had an excellent budget and they made some fine musicals (I've never been a big fan of musicals, myself), but RKO's low budget, gritty production values were a huge part of its appeal. They also helped to create and define an entire generation of classic film noir. Could you imagine a world without "Murder, My Sweet", "Cry Danger" or "Citizen Kane"? Even if you could, who would WANT to?! Also, they put together some of the great, obscure horror classics, especially works of the great Val Lewton like "Isle of the Dead". Ominous black & white pictures with harsh atmospheric backdrops were RKO's best trademarks, and I'll always consider them the greatest proponents of film noir, mystery, and intrigue in the entire history of American cinema.

A close second favorite is Warner Bros. Not only did they make some great films, but their awesome cartoons alone are enough to put Warner right up there in the upper echelon of the Golden Age studios.

• 2 weeks later...

M-G-M has always been my favorite. Their films were always very glossy with legendary stars and their musicals were somthing else. I love RKO not only for Astaire-Rogers and Val Lewton's 'B's', but also for their great Film Noir series that run from the late 40s to early 50s. No studio could touch them for this genre of film.

• 2 weeks later...

MGM, Warner Brothers and Fox are my favorites. MGM for Jeanette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy, Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Jean Harlow, Myrna Loy, William Powell and let's not forget Clark Gable. Warner Brothers for Bette Davis, Errol Flynn, Humphrey Bogart, John Garfield and Eleanor Parker. Fox for Susan Hayward, Loretta Young, Tyrone Power and Alice Faye. Those sure were the days.

Wendy