Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ooh, I can already tell by looking at the first two days of the month that is not a 31 Days of Oscar schedule. Is this because the Oscars have been pushed back to March this year? Or has TCM (gasp) done away with 31 days, which would make posters on here celebrate in the streets?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ooh, I can already tell by looking at the first two days of the month that is not a 31 Days of Oscar schedule. Is this because the Oscars have been pushed back to March this year? Or has TCM (gasp) done away with 31 days, which would make posters on here celebrate in the streets?

I would think your first suggestion is the case. The Oscar ceremony is (for now) April 25th, 2021.

• Thanks 3

Okay I just though February schedule and it is very interesting, it seems their where going have 31 Days of Oscar, but changed it. They got films like Rain Man ('88), Chariots Of Fire ('81), Under Fire ('83), The Killing Fields ('84), Dances With Wolves ('90), Thelma & Louis ('91), and The Age Of Innocence ('93) in the same month. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

The demise of 31 Days of Oscar was my first thought, too, but, alas, I fear it's only been pushed to March . . . 

• Sad 3
3 hours ago, TheOneandOnlyCritic2000 said:

Okay I just though February schedule and it is very interesting, it seems their where going have 31 Days of Oscar, but changed it. They got films like Rain Man ('88), Chariots Of Fire ('81), Under Fire ('83), The Killing Fields ('84), Dances With Wolves ('90), Thelma & Louis ('91), and The Age Of Innocence ('93) in the same month. 

2 hours ago, lydecker said:

The demise of 31 Days of Oscar was my first thought, too, but, alas, I fear it's only been pushed to March . . . 

Most likely only pushed back.   31 Days of Oscar is TCM top marketing effort.   E.g. ads on CNN (both on TV and their website),  etc...

(and yes,  I know that CNN and TCM are "brother").

3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Oh joy....

Plan 9 for Outer Space, The Swarm, The Conqueror, Change of Habit , Food of the gods, and The Silver Chalice on the same night.... The Elvis film is harmless and maybe Silver Chalice might be a bit better than claimed but.... 🤢🤢🤢

It's all part of the golden turkeys awards, which is for the worst films ever😂. (Should have put The Room ('03) in there too😂

1 minute ago, TheOneandOnlyCritic2000 said:

It's all part of the golden turkeys awards, which is for the worst films ever😂. (Should have put The Room ('03) in there too😂

Or Myra Breckenridge or The Oscar. But that's tempting too much ill fate there. I see where in that book originally published in the late 70s the reader's pick for Worst Film of them all was actually Exorcist II: The Heretic, which just reminds me of a story I shared about that film once before and am sharing again now. 

Studio heads came to the sneak preview of "Exorcist II" in a limo, and told the drivers to go get fast food. They entered the auditorium, and within 10 minutes into the film, an audience member stood up, glanced into the crowd, and proclaimed: "The people who made this piece of s*!* are in this room!" 10 or 12 other audience members gathered to find the executives. The heads rushed out of the theater and realized that there were no cars to make their escape. They were subsequently chased down the street by a group of angry audience members.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Everyone except Cecil Kellway should be happy to see John Garfield honored as Star of the Month in February.

3183a-screen2bshot2b2015-12-302bat2b6-52

Funny:  Hey,  this guy,  might not be too happy about it either.   Of course he was his brother so maybe he has forgiven him by now.

Force of Evil (1948) - Photo Gallery - IMDb

• Like 1

Thanks again MovieCollectorOH for the February schedule. It’s filled with great films and I am looking forward to watching all of John Garfield’s films. The one that’s missing is Gentlemen’s Agreement, even though he was a co-star his part was pivotal and it should have been included.  

They show a lot of Lana Turner too in February.  But how do you celebrate Clark Gable’s birthday without GWTW.

Overall, a great month for movie fans.

It looks like Black History Month is finally getting a spotlight, via TCM's feature on "Noteworthy African American Performances."

AND BEST NEWS: WITH NO OSCARS, WE GET NOIR ALLEY!!

Noir Alley

2/7 The Killer That Stalked New York (1950)

2/14 It looks like Eddie was preempted for "Romantic Weekend Getaway" I feel like they could have found a romantic noir. What about Leave Her to Heaven.  One can't fault Gene Tierney for not loving her husband!

2/21 Sangre Negra

2/28 Odds Against Tomorrow.  I know this one's been on Noir Alley before, because that is where I discovered this film; but it's a great movie. 

---

The spotlight "Kiss Connection" is interesting.  It looks like the subsequent film has an actor in common with the previous film. 

I'm only on February 1st but I already know that it's going to be a great schedule.  February 1st birthday boy, Clark Gable, is getting a birthday tribute! 

2/1 YES! The Conqueror is back.  I had this movie recorded on my DVR a few years ago and then I lost it when my DVR died and I had to get a new one.  I've always wanted to see this notorious film.

2/2 Am I missing something with the Groundhog Day theme?  I can see some films that have things in common (college trips), but there also seems to be a mountain climbing theme??

2/2 John Garfield SOTM East of the River. A Garfield film that I didn't know about

2/3 The Mayor of Hell. I'm here for the title, but it's also a Cagney pre-code

2/3 The Doorway to Hell.  Cagney's in this one too.  I'm detecting  a theme with his pre-code films.

2/6 Mel Brooks Double Feature.  Yes please.

2/8 Lana Turner 100th Birthday Tribute.  I'm intrigued by Slightly Dangerous

2/9 Robert Ryan marathon.  I just discovered him in the last few years or so and I'm a big fan

2/9 John Garfield, We Were Strangers.  I haven't seen this one!

2/10 The official theme is "Dealing with Divorce" but inside of that, is a triple feature of Kay Francis dealing with divorce. I haven't seen any of the films, I'm curious if Kay is the jilted spouse or "the other woman."  

2/10 Moonrise (1948) I have been trying to see this movie all year! I saw that it was on Criterion and I wanted to see it.  I've had it on hold at the library since the beginning of the pandemic and haven't gotten it yet.  Thank you TCM!

2/13 I like the idea of a "Romantic Weekend Getaway" even if it's with TCM and not my spouse! Lol.

2/18 The Milky Way.  I've wanted to see one of Harold Lloyd's talkies.

2/18 That's Right, You're Wrong. I'm trying to remember if I've seen this Lucille Ball film

2/19 Western Noir theme

2/24 Marjorie Main birthday tribute

2021-02-21   8:00 PM    Only Yesterday (1933)
This Universal title would be a TCM premiere, per moviecollectorOH's database....

2021-02-22     12:00 AM    So This Is Paris (1926)
This also would be a TCM premiere. It briefly was scheduled earlier this year, but may have been an error. Crossing my fingers....

2021-03-01     12:00 AM    Walk Cheerfully (1930)
Another TCM premiere?

Thanks again for the good work!

• Like 1

Unsure if I will make it through the whole month like I did last month. If I do, it will be over a longer period of time.

But here we go.

Daytime February 1 - Birthday Tribute: Clark Gable

Forsaking All Others (Clark Gable, Joan Crawford) (MGM, 1934)
After Office Hours (Clark Gable, Constance Bennett) (MGM, 1935)
San Francisco (Clark Gable, Jeanette MacDonald) (MGM, 1936)
Saratoga (Clark Gable, Jean Harlow) (MGM, 1937)
Test Pilot (Clark Gable, Myrna Loy) (MGM, 1938)
Strange Cargo (Clark Gable, Joan Crawford) (MGM, 1940)
Key to the City (Clark Gable, Loretta Young) (MGM, 1950)
Never Let Me Go (Clark Gable, Gene Tierney) (MGM, 1953)

• Thanks 1

Primetime February 1 Golden Turkeys!

The Silver Chalice (Paul Newman, Virginia Mayo) (Warner Bros., 1954)
The Conqueror (John Wayne, Susan Hayward) (RKO, 1956)
Plan 9 from Outer Space (Bela Lugosi, Tor Johnson) (Distributors Corp. of America, 1959)
Change of Habit (Elvis Presley, Mary Tyler Moore) (Universal, 1969)
Food of the Gods (Marjoe Gortner, Pamela Franklin) (AIP, 1976)
The Swarm (Michael Caine, Katharine Ross) (Warner Bros., 1978)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1