air force (1943)
the fallen sparrow (1943)
dangerously they live (1942)
flowing gold (1940)
thank your lucky stars (1943)
hollywood canteen (1944)

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh I am sooo excited for this! I've been saying for a while they need to make him SOTM or at least give him a full day on Summer under the Stars. I love him in "Pride of the Marines", "They Made Me a Criminal", "Dust be my Destiny" and "The Breaking Point".

I've read that the role of Terry Malloy in "On the Waterfront "was originally intended for Garfield. Elia Kazan had him in mind but unfortunately Garfield passed before they made the film. Although I do think Brando was Terry Malloy and anyone else playing that role would be like switching out Judy Garland for Dorothy or replacing Bogart and Bergman in "Casablanca", I know Garfield would have been magnificent. I would have loved to see his rendition.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Tab Lynn said:

Oh I am sooo excited for this! I've been saying for a while they need to make him SOTM or at least give him a full day on Summer under the Stars. I love him in "Pride of the Marines", "They Made Me a Criminal", "Dust be my Destiny" and "The Breaking Point".

I've read that the role of Terry Malloy in "On the Waterfront "was originally intended for Garfield. Elia Kazan had him in mind but unfortunately Garfield passed before they made the film. Although I do think Brando was Terry Malloy and anyone else playing that role would be like switching out Judy Garland for Dorothy or replacing Bogart and Bergman in "Casablanca", I know Garfield would have been magnificent. I would have loved to see his rendition.

Garfield has been Star of the Month twice already,  so this will be the 3rd time.     Only a handful of actors have been honored in this way.

(Ok the two years were 1994 (first year for TCM),  and 2003 so it has been 17 years!).

Anyhow big fan of Garfield;    for me he falls under the category of less-is-often-more.      He doesn't need a lot of dialog or over the top gestures to communicate what is going on inside of the character he is playing.     It comes out in his eyes and subtle expressions

• Like 2

They really should have added GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT (1947) to the schedule. 

Garfield (born Jacob Garfinkle) was very proud of its anti-semitic message and he was happy to take a supporting role in the picture.

I love John Garfield.  I'm looking forward to his SOTM. While I've seen many of these films already, there are a whole bunch that I haven't seen so I am excited to see those.  I'll need to make room on the DVR. 

• Like 1

Are all of John Garfield's film noir titles on Feb 2 and 3? While I'm interested in all his films, because I love John Garfield, I especially love him in film noir.  I don't want to miss any of the ones I haven't seen.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Are all of John Garfield's film noir titles on Feb 2 and 3? While I'm interested in all his films, because I love John Garfield, I especially love him in film noir.  I don't want to miss any of the ones I haven't seen.

No,  there are some on other days;  E.g.  9th - 10th: The Breaking Point and Body and Soul.    16th - 17th:  Humoresque,    23rd - 24th: The Fallen Sparrow.       

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

John Garfield is one of the best actors ever! He deserve's SOTM status every 17 years, that's how long its been!! His life story is truly a rags to rich's event. Grew up in poverty as a kid in NYC only to make it "big" in Hollywood. He represents the American dream, a chance to get to first base! I have numerous books and all his movies on DVD. There is no bigger fan of John Garfield! I am looking forward to February and watching his movies again. I never tire  watching Garfield's movies!

• Like 2

When I first started watching TCM and really got into classic movies I saw He Ran All the Way with JG and was hooked! Anything he was in I tried to watch. I've have to see if there's any I haven't seen for a while, or at all. And catch my favorites too, if there's time. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, LKitten16 said:

When I first started watching TCM and really got into classic movies I saw He Ran All the Way with JG and was hooked! Anything he was in I tried to watch. I've have to see if there's any I haven't seen for a while, or at all. And catch my favorites too, if there's time. 

Interesting that you were hooked by Garfield's last film.     Good film,  but like what was happening to him at the time,   there is a sad vibe in that film. 

I have sympathy for the character,  even if he is a criminal,  knowing that he can't escape the predicament he placed himself into.  

He Ran All the Way (John Berry, 1951) | Movie classics

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Interesting that you were hooked by Garfield's last film.     Good film,  but like what was happening to him at the time,   there is a sad vibe in that film. 

I have sympathy for the character,  even if he is a criminal,  knowing that he can't escape the predicament he placed himself into.  

He Ran All the Way (John Berry, 1951) | Movie classics

He Ran All the Way was a great movie.  I also felt sorry for Nick because I don't think he was inherently a bad person.  He got in over his head and didn't know what to do.  While I would have rather had Garfield make more films, this was a great film to go out on.  Even Garfield's final scene is a great one to end his career on. 

(Shelley Winters should thank the illustrator of this poster.  They made her look a lot more glamorous than she does in this film)

On 12/18/2020 at 5:26 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

No,  there are some on other days;  E.g.  9th - 10th: The Breaking Point and Body and Soul.    16th - 17th:  Humoresque,    23rd - 24th: The Fallen Sparrow.       

Thanks.  I have The Breaking Point.  I loved it.  I thought it was superior to To Have and Have Not, even though I enjoy that film as well.  These films are so different in tone that it's hard to believe that they're based on the same source material.

I have Body and Soul on my DVR.  I need to watch that one.  I love boxing movies.

I have Humoresque.  I enjoyed that one as well.

I haven't seen The Fallen Sparrow.  I'll definitely set that one up to record.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Thanks.  I have The Breaking Point.  I loved it.  I thought it was superior to To Have and Have Not, even though I enjoy that film as well.  These films are so different in tone that it's hard to believe that they're based on the same source material.

I have Body and Soul on my DVR.  I need to watch that one.  I love boxing movies.

I have Humoresque.  I enjoyed that one as well.

I haven't seen The Fallen Sparrow.  I'll definitely set that one up to record.

Thanks!

I highly recommend The Fallen Sparrow,  mostly for the performance of Maureen o'Hara.      She plays a different character than what I was use to seeing and Garfield and her have some nice scenes in this spy film. 

Poster of the movie The Fallen Sparrow.jpg

• Like 1
18 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I highly recommend The Fallen Sparrow,  mostly for the performance of Maureen o'Hara.      She plays a different character than what I was use to seeing and Garfield and her have some nice scenes in this spy film. 

Poster of the movie The Fallen Sparrow.jpg

2 hours ago, dennisnoir said:

While Maureen is very good in The Fallen Sparrow...this is Garfield's movie all the way! He plays the haunted and  paronoid person to the hilt!!

I agree,  but I can see how my comment could be misunderstood.      I like Garfield so much that I try and see every film he is in.

So I should have said that one "extra" for me in The Fallen Sparrow was o'Hara,  being the type of actress I didn't expect to see in such a film.

• 5 weeks later...

I recall the first time I remember seeing John Garfield.  I had the tv on and was trying to go to sleep when his movie came on where he was playing a man who owned a boat who got involved in smuggling from Mexico to California. I don't know the name of the movie. Suffice to say, I stayed awake to watch it and thought John Garfield was really good, although I had to look up who he was. I then watched The Postman Always Rings Twice and realized "So that is John Garfield." I have since become aware of him and like him very much in the movies I see him in.

1 hour ago, Stallion said:

I recall the first time I remember seeing John Garfield.  I had the tv on and was trying to go to sleep when his movie came on where he was playing a man who owned a boat who got involved in smuggling from Mexico to California. I don't know the name of the movie. Suffice to say, I stayed awake to watch it and thought John Garfield was really good, although I had to look up who he was. I then watched The Postman Always Rings Twice and realized "So that is John Garfield." I have since become aware of him and like him very much in the movies I see him in.

The smuggling movie is called THE BREAKING POINT (1950).

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed re-watching Humoresque last week.   I admire John Garfield more and more, each time I see him. 

Does anyone know whether the original soundtrack, featuring Isaac Stern and Oscar Levant, is available on CD?

I have the excellent partial recreation of the soundtrack music by Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg, which I'd highly recommend.  But I'd really like to hear the original music from the actual film, if it's available.

1 hour ago, BingFan said:

I really enjoyed re-watching Humoresque last week.   I admire John Garfield more and more, each time I see him. 

Does anyone know whether the original soundtrack, featuring Isaac Stern and Oscar Levant, is available on CD?

I have the excellent partial recreation of the soundtrack music by Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg, which I'd highly recommend.  But I'd really like to hear the original music from the actual film, if it's available.

Humoresque is one of my favorite films.   I played violin as a child and up until Jr. High so I relate to the parts of how his parents viewed him as a musician (but luckily I didn't meet any dames like Joan!).

There is CD available:

R-10222153-1510514137-2856.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Humoresque is one of my favorite films.   I played violin as a child and up until Jr. High so I relate to the parts of how his parents viewed him as a musician (but luckily I didn't meet and dames like Joan!).

There is CD available:

R-10222153-1510514137-2856.jpeg.jpg

Thanks, james!  This looks like what I've been searching for.   Do you know where it might be available by any chance?  I haven't found it on Amazon, despite a lot of looking.  (The cover above appears to be one of those cool old 78 albums.)