Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2021

8 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

I'll definitely log my reactions on Letterboxd (https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/). But yes, I do intend to share my impressions here as well.

SO MANY movies that are extant, but due to rights issues or donor restrictions or collector scumitis, aren't available to TCM. 🥵

I know its frustrating. Few Fox films from that period are ever shown on TCM.

On 3/30/2021 at 6:09 PM, Hibi said:

I know its frustrating. Few Fox films from that period are ever shown on TCM.

https://www.moma.org/calendar/film/5304

Pre-Code Fox Rarities from the MoMA Archive

*attempts to keep from squeeing loud enough to be detected at the Naval Observatory*

"The presentations in this series are new 4K digital reproductions of nitrate prints in MoMA’s collection, made possible by the Walt Disney Company."

*fails*

• Thanks 1

Just watched 1940's House Across the Bay on Movies!  (Recorded it some time ago)  Joan Bennett stars with George Raft, Walter Pidgeon and Lloyd Nolan.  Nice little Film Noir "B" picture.  Directed by Archie Mayo and an uncredited Alfred Hitchcock.  Produced by Bennett's husband Walter Wanger.  Gladys George as Mary:  "Oh that cheap liquor.  Why do I do it?"  Joan as Brenda:  "Because you're just crazy about bicarbonate of soda."  Terrible print.  Maybe TCM can dig up a newer print and show it sometime.

Just now, filmnoirguy said:

Just watched 1940's House Across the Bay on Movies!  (Recorded it some time ago)  Joan Bennett stars with George Raft, Walter Pidgeon and Lloyd Nolan.  Nice little Film Noir "B" picture.  Directed by Archie Mayo and an uncredited Alfred Hitchcock.  Produced by Bennett's husband Walter Wanger.  Gladys George as Mary:  "Oh that cheap liquor.  Why do I do it?"  Joan as Brenda:  "Because you're just crazy about bicarbonate of soda."  Terrible print.  Maybe TCM can dig up a newer print and show it sometime.

As you noted the MOVIES-TV print is really poor.        Often that doesn't impact my enjoyment but it did in this case.    I did like the performance of Lloyd Nolan as the snake.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, filmnoirguy said:

LOL! I've seen it, but it's been a long time. I hadn't heard that about Hitchcock. Why was he called in?

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

How about the Bennett sisters?

As joint Stars of the Month?      Well Constance was SOTM in November 2012 and since Joan has a better film legacy,  I would like to see Joan as SOTM all by herself.

In addition if there was a joint one,  the odds would be higher TCM would just show the Joan films they already show instead of some of the Fox films they rarely or never show.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

How about the Bennett sisters?

Well, Connie already had her turn 5 or 6 years ago, so she can wait! Don't think Barbara did many films,  would be interesting to see her in one.

I can't believe its been almost 10 years since Constance's SOTM and Joan is still waiting! :(

• Thanks 1

It's not just her early films at Fox such as WILD  GIRL (1932).

There is Paramount's THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS (1934) and Columbia's SHE COULDN'T TAKE IT (1935).

As well as the 2 films she did with Cary Grant: Wedding Present and Big Brown Eyes. Am sure there are others. (Paramount).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...