Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022

Since Linda Darnell has resurfaced, I'm reviving my old thread about Joan Bennett (can't find the old thread, so creating a new one). Joan is LONG OVERDUE for a SOTM salute. Sister Constance was chosen SOTM years ago. Joan is STILL waiting. TCM continues to select stars who've been chosen before and ignore others who've NEVER been chosen. Feel free to post here about Joan films and pix.

Joan Bennett (1910-1990) - Find A Grave Memorial

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Here is my proposed Joan Bennet SOTM 4 day line-up;    

Week One - Pre-Code Joan:

Hush Money

Careless Lady

Week Ends Only

Wild  Girl

Arizona To Broadway

Little Women

The Pursuit of Happiness

Week Two -  Dark Side of Joan

The Women in the Window

Scarlet Street

The Women on the Beach

Secret Beyond the Door

Hollow Triumph 

The Reckless Moment

Highway Dragnet

Week Three - Mother Joan

Farther of the Bride

Father's Little Dividend

We're No Angels

There's Always Tomorrow

For Heaven's Sake

Week Four - Misc

Big Brown Eyes

Man Hunt

The Son of Monte Cristo

Trade Winds

She Knew All The Answers

The Macomber Affair

The Man Who Reclaimed His Head

Joan Bennett - Hollywood's Golden Age

• Like 4

There's this amazing scene in "The Woman in the Window" where Joan Bennett takes off her wrap, and she's wearing this sort of mesh see-through top, and you can see her breasts through the top.  I remember watching that film and just being flabbergasted that they got away with something like that in the 1940s.

One of those two movies, either that one or "Scarlet Street", is Fritz Lang's best American film.

• Like 2

Joan Bennett really deserves SOTM.  She was in so many great films, with a decades-long career spanning something close to half a century.  How about a premiere on her Month that will offer a twofer, THE GUY WHO CAME BACK (1951), which had Joan and Linda Darnell vying for  Paul Douglas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Vidor said:

There's this amazing scene in "The Woman in the Window" where Joan Bennett takes off her wrap, and she's wearing this sort of mesh see-through top, and you can see her breasts through the top.  I remember watching that film and just being flabbergasted that they got away with something like that in the 1940s.

One of those two movies, either that one or "Scarlet Street", is Fritz Lang's best American film.

Yes. I remember that scene too. I'll try to find a picture.

9 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Joan Bennett really deserves SOTM.  She was in so many great films, with a decades-long career spanning something close to half a century.  How about a premiere on her Month that will offer a twofer, THE GUY WHO CAME BACK (1951), which had Joan and Linda Darnell vying for  Paul Douglas.

Sounds good to me! I didn't realize they had done a film together!

• Like 1

I don't know why I love Joan Bennett so much. Those giant eyes & her voice! Her voice is very distinct and she delivers her lines with lots of emotion, you can feel her character's thoughts.

I like Constance too, but never tire of Joan who seems so versatile & smoldering. I remember being flabbergasted the woman in SCARLETT STREET was the same person as the Mother in FATHER OF THE BRIDE!

• Like 5
14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is my proposed Joan Bennet SOTM 4 day line-up;    

Week One - Pre-Code Joan:

Hush Money

Careless Lady

Week Ends Only

Wild  Girl

Arizona To Broadway

Little Women

The Pursuit of Happiness

Week Two -  Dark Side of Joan

The Women in the Window

Scarlet Street

The Women on the Beach

Secret Beyond the Door

Hollow Triumph 

The Reckless Moment

Highway Dragnet

Week Three - Mother Joan

Farther of the Bride

Father's Little Dividend

We're No Angels

There's Always Tomorrow

For Heaven's Sake

Week Four - Misc

Big Brown Eyes

Man Hunt

The Son of Monte Cristo

Trade Winds

She Knew All The Answers

The Macomber Affair

The Man Who Reclaimed His Head

Joan Bennett - Hollywood's Golden Age

GREAT LINE UP! I haven't seen many of those precodes.

13 hours ago, Hibi said:

Sounds good to me! I didn't realize they had done a film together!

Hello Hibi.

This movie was filmed and released in 1951, and might’ve been Joan’s last film before the incident between her husband and her agent.  She plays the wife of washed up football player Paul Douglas, who can’t accept that he is washed up in the sport, and too old to re-enlist in the Navy (it had a working title of “The Man Who Sank the Navy”.  

Secretary/actress/singer/dancer/model Linda Darnell, or so she describes herself, runs into him at his friend Zero Mostel’s supper club, where the two friends’ banter is reminiscent of vaudeville Schtick, and it inspires Linda to convince Paul to do a variety act.  He bombs, but in the meantime, has started an affair with her.  He moves out of the house, but after awhile, realizes he misses his wife and son Billy Gray, especially when “friend “ Don Defore starts to date Bennett, whom he had always pined for.  Eventually Linda and Joan team up to convince him to go back to his family.

This is an ok comedy-drama.  20th Century-Fox saw this as another opportunity to team Darnel and Douglas, after the hits A LETTER TO THREE WIVES and EVERYBODY DOES IT, both released in 1949.  However, Darnell went on suspension for a few months for refusing to do it, since she didn’t like the idea of playing another temptress, especially one with unclear motivations for her actions; some scenes must’ve been cut that would have made her character’s actions more understandable.  Plus her studio wanted her to dye her hair platinum blonde, which she didn’t want to do (rising starlet Marilyn Monroe actually tested for the part).  Eventually, due a costly divorce, she relented and did the film.  She and the cast got decent reviews, but in the early years of television, it was not the hoped-for hit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think this is the see through dress from Woman in the Window.

That's it, but that doesn't quite capture how see-through the dress is in the movie.  See-through as in "holy crap, guess Hays Code censors didn't actually watch the films" see-through.

• Haha 1
  • Hibi changed the title to JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2021
  • Hibi changed the title to JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022