Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022

Hibi

55 minutes ago, nakano said:

The book I have on Wanger is a hard cover titled 'Hollywood Independent by Matthew Bernstein with a foreword by Robert Wise 1994 a thick book close to 500 pages.

Thanks. I'll have to check that out too. The Cleo book was written in the 60s. I had forgotten about it.

12 minutes ago, DougieB said:

Is this portrait from a movie? It reminds me of the famous Laura portrait of Gene Tierney.

Yes, it's a portrait of Joan's character used in Woman in the Window. I guess she got the painting!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Thanks. I'll have to check that out too. The Cleo book was written in the 60s. I had forgotten about it.

I found my old copy of the paperback when I was going through books for a yard sale this past weekend. Naturally, I put it aside. The sale was an eye-opener; I can't tell you how disheartening it was to see people barely glance at the books, when I've spent most of my life building a library. There were dozens of actor/actress biographies and movie books in general and...nothing, not even a who's that? One guy bought a Chaplin biography, but that was it. The local thrift store won't even take books anymore. Talk about through the looking glass. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DougieB said:

I found my old copy of the paperback when I was going through books for a yard sale this past weekend. Naturally, I put it aside. The sale was an eye-opener; I can't tell you how disheartening it was to see people barely glance at the books, when I've spent most of my life building a library. There were dozens of actor/actress biographies and movie books in general and...nothing, not even a who's that? One guy bought a Chaplin biography, but that was it. The local thrift store won't even take books anymore. Talk about through the looking glass. 

Surely I'm not the only one getting flashbacks to this.   I always thought it would take a lot longer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

DOUGIEB,  we were also surprised by how the books sort of 'languished' during our summer yard sale.  You've probably thought of this already, but in case your local library has book sales, (ours actively asks people to donate books so they can turn around and sell them to fund-raise), you could inquire if they'd be interested.  Sounds like you have some good ones that it would be a shame to waste.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DougieB said:

Sad. A nation that doesn't read anymore.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, lilypond said:

DOUGIEB,  we were also surprised by how the books sort of 'languished' during our summer yard sale.  You've probably thought of this already, but in case your local library has book sales, (ours actively asks people to donate books so they can turn around and sell them to fund-raise), you could inquire if they'd be interested.  Sounds like you have some good ones that it would be a shame to waste.

Yes, local Friends of the Library from your local library will take books.  As you said they will sell them (or try to)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Beats me. Maybe one of her daughters has it now.

I asked about it because about 20 years ago i bought a book from her personnal collection coming from her estate,a great book by the way Showman  a superb bio about David O Selznick,it is not signed but the person was reliable and it was not expensive,maybe they made an auction not in a big way  but it is possible.

Yes, I'm not really sure how her estate was handled or her will. She was still married to her last husband at the time in 1990. She had 4 daughters. I imagine some of her stuff was auctioned off. How lucky for you to get the book! 3 of her daughters are still alive. The oldest, Diana, died this past summer (at 93!)

On 10/15/2021 at 9:15 AM, Hibi said:

Yes, local Friends of the Library from your local library will take books.  As you said they will sell them (or try to)

Since 2020, our library no longer accepts donations :( Hope they have a fundraising book sale soon, they have a lot of treasures.

I've been buying  actor/actress/director books (& photos) for years & once in awhile they're autographed by the celebrity! Apparently, booksellers don't even think that adds any value!

On 10/15/2021 at 12:17 PM, Hibi said:

Was able to find a picture of Joan's last home in Scarsdale, New York. This is a recent pic,

That looks like a $2 million vinyl box, must have been nicer when she lived there. Hope someone in the family has that Joan painting. The Chicago Museum of Art has the original "after" Dorian Gray painting. Hurd Hatfield had kept the "before" painting, after all, it was a portrait of himself.

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Since 2020, our library no longer accepts donations :( Hope they have a fundraising book sale soon, they have a lot of treasures.

I've been buying  actor/actress/director books (& photos) for years & once in awhile they're autographed by the celebrity! Apparently, booksellers don't even think that adds any value!

That looks like a $2 million vinyl box, must have been nicer when she lived there. Hope someone in the family has that Joan painting. The Chicago Museum of Art has the original "after" Dorian Gray painting. Hurd Hatfield had kept the "before" painting, after all, it was a portrait of himself.

So you've come across autographed books? Like who?

I agree the present house has no star appeal. Hopefully it looked different when Joan lived there.