Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022

20 hours ago, Hibi said:

So you've come across autographed books? Like who?

George Murphy & Mel Tormé autobiographies purchased from Thrift Store Charities online. (what a great idea!) Neither description said "signed by author" and both were around $5 including mailing cost.

On 10/15/2021 at 8:11 AM, Hibi said:

Beats me. Maybe one of her daughters has it now.

I just listened to the last episode of a podcast about Joan Bennett (Love is a Crime).  They interviewed Bennett's grandson, Felix Werner, who is the son of Diana Markey and Oskar Werner.   

It sounds as though he has quite a bit of her memorabilia including the painting.   Werner said he and Bennett's widower took the painting to Germany for a film festival shortly after her death.  Werner remembers his grandmother as rather stern and proper.   Vanessa Hope, one of Bennett's granddaughters, is a host of the podcast.  She had much warmer memories of her grandmother. 

Felix Florian Werner: Der Erbe des Unbestechlichen - DER SPIEGEL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

George Murphy & Mel Tormé autobiographies purchased from Thrift Store Charities online. (what a great idea!) Neither description said "signed by author" and both were around $5 including mailing cost.

Great deal!

32 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I just listened to the last episode of a podcast about Joan Bennett (Love is a Crime).  They interviewed Bennett's grandson, Felix Werner, who is the son of Diana Markey and Oskar Werner.   

It sounds as though he has quite a bit of her memorabilia including the painting.   Werner said he and Bennett's widower took the painting to Germany for a film festival shortly after her death.  Werner remember his grandmother as rather stern and proper.   Vanessa Hope, one of Bennett's granddaughters, is a host of the podcast.  She had much warmer memories of her grandmother. 

Felix Florian Werner: Der Erbe des Unbestechlichen - DER SPIEGEL

Thanks for the info! He looks like his father. Yes, Joan strikes me as old school as far as family is concerned. What did you think of the podcast? TCM COULD HAVE had a great tie in with that podcast by picking Joan as SOTM, but NO! Even could have one of her daughters co-hosting!

I'm glad the painting still exists. I was worried it was destroyed in the fire at Joan's home in Scarsdale. Could not find any info online about it, or how extensive it was.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Thanks for the info! He looks like his father. Yes, Joan strikes me as old school as far as family is concerned. What did you think of the podcast? TCM COULD HAVE had a great tie in with that podcast by picking Joan as SOTM, but NO! Even could have one of her daughters cohosting!

I'm glad the painting still exists. I was worried it was destroyed in the fire at Joan's home in Scarsdale. Could not find any info online about it, or how extensive it was.

Yes, they mentioned the fire on the podcast.  This was the second time Bennett had a fire in one of her homes although the last may have been arson.  It was never proven but the podcast suggested that one of David Wilde's acquaintances may have set the fire because he was not pleased that Wilde married Bennett.  I had no idea about David Wilde.  Wow.  Felix Werner said that he was reluctant to go to Germany with Wilde.  He stipulated that David Wilde's alter ego, "Gail," would not make an appearance during the trip.  

I suspect that you know most of what was covered in the podcast.  I knew a little about Bennett but learned quite a bit from the podcast.  However, there is certainly a PC, for lack of a better term, slant to the episodes, talk of things like toxic masculinity and patriarchy.   Perhaps it's aimed at younger listeners.  For example, they went into great detail explaining why David Wilde's "Gail" would not have been a welcome presence had she popped up at the film festival. 

If you can get beyond that, it was an interesting listen.  I agree, it would have been a good subject for a TCM podcast or on air special.  

I listened for free on  iheart radio: 

Love is a Crime | iHeart

Thanks for the link! I will have to watch it. Am sure there is stuff in there I didn't know. Yes, David Wilde was a character. I had read arson was suspected but that was all. Weird that Joan had 2 fires in different homes! TCM, once again, missed the boat with this. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Thanks for the link! I will have to watch it. Am sure there is stuff in there I didn't know. Yes, David Wilde was a character. I had read arson was suspected but that was all. Weird that Joan had 2 fires in different homes! TCM, once again, missed the boat with this. 

You're welcome!  I'd be interested in your take it, if you do end up listening to the podcast.  I hope you'll post a review here, as our resident Joan Bennett expert and enthusiast.

Oh, for sure! I've read both books on Joan, (well one was about her and her other sisters too). But I'm sure I've forgotten details and there is some stuff in it I hadn't heard before.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, lilypond said:

That Joan Bennett Facebook page has wonderful pictures of her, HIBI,  thanks for posting.  I also love that she has her own thread here.

YES! Many pictures I'd never seen before. I'll be posting some here in the future (LOL). I just happened upon it while doing some Joan searching! :D

After doing some searching it appears Joan and Joe E. Brown DID appear in a film together, called Maybe It's Love (1930) and it DOES have a football plot! So it does appear it's a still or publicity shot from the film. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if the film was shown when Joe E. Brown was SOTM? It's from Warners. If so, I'm sorry I missed it (didnt watch him AT ALL) just as a curio.

Joe E. Brown gets to be SOTM, but not Joan!

• Like 1
On 11/10/2021 at 11:32 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Yeah, that does appear to be a travesty. I hope this happens sometime in 2022 because your posts and your thread make me increasingly angsty.

Yeah, the longer it goes on the madder I get! At the very least they could come up with 16 films to show. They've shown probably that many of them over the years......

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, the longer it goes on the madder I get! At the very least they could come up with 16 films to show. They've shown probably that many of them over the years......

Well, if anyone's going to light a fire under them, it's going to be you. Maybe you should round up a mob a-la Cecil B. Demented.