Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022

Hibi

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DougieB said:

This has Salvador Dali written all over it. I wonder. He contributed to Spellbound around this same time. 

Yea,  a lot of Secret Beyond the Door has a surreal look\vibe,  but I couldn't find any tie to Dali.       Director Fritz Lang and cinematographer Stanley Cortez appear to be the ones that came up with these ideas and shots.

Here is Joan in polka dots and of course a door.

The Secret Beyond the Door (1947)

• Haha 1

One of my favorite Joan Bennett comedies is this winner from 20th Century Fox:

1B39832A-BF07-4415-8742-E75E633582A5_1_201_a

GIRL TROUBLE (1942) 

She plays an upper class woman who has run into financial trouble. The solution is to sublet her swanky Manhattan penthouse apartment and go to stay with a society friend (Billie Burke). Ameche plays a South American playboy coming to New York for a visit, and he rents the place. When Bennett returns to pick up some belongings she left behind, Ameche assumes she is the maid. So she ends up staying there, working as his maid. That way she can remain in her own home. Of course they fall in love. It's a fun picture put across by a very capable cast.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:51 AM, DougieB said:

This has Salvador Dali written all over it. I wonder. He contributed to Spellbound around this same time. 

Not really sure if he was connected to the film or not.

On 2/19/2022 at 12:38 PM, TopBilled said:

One of my favorite Joan Bennett comedies is this winner from 20th Century Fox:

1B39832A-BF07-4415-8742-E75E633582A5_1_201_a

GIRL TROUBLE (1942) 

She plays an upper class woman who has run into financial trouble. The solution is to sublet her swanky Manhattan penthouse apartment and go to stay with a society friend (Billie Burke). Ameche plays a South American playboy coming to New York for a visit, and he rents the place. When Bennett returns to pick up some belongings she left behind, Ameche assumes she is the maid. So she ends up staying there, working as his maid. That way she can remain in her own home. Of course they fall in love. It's a fun picture put across by a very capable cast.

It would figure it's a Fox film! :(

I saw a film with Joan Bennett in it this past week that I had never heard of before entitled "Wild Geese Calling" from 1941.  Joan was playing the pioneer wife of Henry Fonda's character. The plot was really goofy, but  It had a very good supporting role for Warren William.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

I saw a film with Joan Bennett in it this past week that I had never heard of before entitled "Wild Geese Calling" from 1941.  Joan was playing the pioneer wife of Henry Fonda's character. The plot was really goofy, but  It had a very good supporting role for Warren William.

Damn! I'm sorry I missed that! I've never seen that one.

17 hours ago, DougieB said:

I'm assuming that's at home and not at the studio. Quite a set-up. Is the other woman in uniform, do you think, or just simply dressed?

LOL. I'd never thought of that (at home). It probably was. It doesn't look like a uniform to me.

Joan Bennett had blonde hair in some of her earliest movies..

As she became more popular, I wonder if she darkened her hair in order

to look  distinctively different than her sister Constance Bennett..

image.jpeg.1815202d2a0755fbb5fa84afaf223d6b.jpeg       Constance Bennett on a Silk Top with Signature Photo Print - Item #  VARCEL694135 - Posterazzi

She looked wonderful with dark hair:

Joan Bennett Biography - Facts, Childhood, Family Life & Achievements

It was a plot device in Tradewinds (the character dyed her hair and went on the lam). It proved a boost to her career and she never went back. She and Hedy Lamarr had similar looks and even shared a husband (Gene Markey).

• 2 weeks later...