Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022

Hibi

I love this look. "It's not my first time at the rodeo, fellas." Is that a skirt, do you think, or could it be trousers? Based on the makeup it seems to be 1930's, so trousers for women were still relatively rare, right?

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

See the source image

Joan looks a bit like Lucille Ball (during Lucy's early days in the 1930's) in this photo. Other photos I've seen of Joan in her brunette days during the 1940's she resembles Hedy Lamarr. Either way she was a beautiful and talented actress. I was fortunate to have seen her in some rare 1930's pre code Fox films at last years' Capitolfest when her and Constance were the featured stars. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DougieB said:

I love this look. "It's not my first time at the rodeo, fellas." Is that a skirt, do you think, or could it be trousers? Based on the makeup it seems to be 1930's, so trousers for women were still relatively rare, right?

LOL. I'm not sure. It looks like it may be pants/trousers. I've never seen this publicity still before. Since Joan is still a blonde it would've been taken sometime in the 30s.

11 hours ago, midnight08 said:

Joan looks a bit like Lucille Ball (during Lucy's early days in the 1930's) in this photo. Other photos I've seen of Joan in her brunette days during the 1940's she resembles Hedy Lamarr. Either way she was a beautiful and talented actress. I was fortunate to have seen her in some rare 1930's pre code Fox films at last years' Capitolfest when her and Constance were the featured stars. 

That's right! I'd forgotten about that! So jealous! 

I love this one. Keep 'em coming. This is an unusually moody boudoir shot. Hard to tell what's going through her mind. Are we being lured to bed or is she pi**ed off because we just woke her up? Either way seems to work.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 7:52 AM, DougieB said:

I love this one. Keep 'em coming. This is an unusually moody boudoir shot. Hard to tell what's going through her mind. Are we being lured to bed or is she pi**ed off because we just woke her up? Either way seems to work.

I had the same reaction;  I keep looking at that photo,  not because of  how beautiful she looked (which is there),  but instead because I was trying to figure out what's going through her mind.    Sadly after a few minutes,  I still have no clue! (ha ha).       But yea,  the photographer captured a mood that indeed does "work"  (i.e. the photo is much more than just a glamor shot of a movie star).

• Like 3

On 4/27/2022 at 7:52 AM, DougieB said:

LOL!!!!

What a sense of style (or what a good stylist). This dress could be couture from decades later, it's so timeless. You can really see the sisterly resemblance to Constance here too.

Yes, with the blonder hair from certain angles, she looks a lot like Constance. Wish the candelabra wasn't blocking the view of the dress.

Really doing your homework these days. It's so glamorous and so frankly sexual at the same time. I'm trying to think of another glamor shot where the actress is positioned like this and I just can't. You so rarely see the subject lying on her stomach, except maybe poolside in a swimsuit. It's so unladylike that it's practically a new level of glamor, like Dietrich in a tux. Marilyn's Golden Dreams calendar shot comes to mind too, because of the red velvet background, though Marilyn was stark naked and Joan only seems to be thinking about it. Thanks for my new screen saver.

LOL! You're welcome. I agree, very provocative, particularly with the red couch/background. The cigarette holder is a nice touch! If you don't look too closely it appears she's floating on air.

2 hours ago, DougieB said:

Beautiful. Even in a kind of standard glamor pose, Joan really stands out. It looks like Hurrell, but I'm sure he was widely imitated. Anyway, great shot.

Yes, very glamorous. Not sure who shot it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DougieB said:

Beautiful. Even in a kind of standard glamor pose, Joan really stands out. It looks like Hurrell, but I'm sure he was widely imitated. Anyway, great shot.

Do you own the John Kobal Movie-Star Portraits of the Forties,  and Hollywood Glamor Portraits (which is 30s \ 40s)?

I got these about 35 years ago and they are great.    I purchased two of the Forties one,  since I cut one up and put my favs into frames.

Hurrell is well featured in both.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Do you own the John Kobal Movie-Star Portraits of the Forties,  and Hollywood Glamor Portraits (which is 30s \ 40s)?

I got these about 35 years ago and they are great.    I purchased two of the Forties one,  since I cut one up and put my favs into frames.

Hurrell is well featured in both.  

No, but I'm glad the books exist. Better late than never. I'll bet a lot of those guys went uncredited at the time. 

• 2 weeks later...