Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022

Hibi

3 hours ago, DougieB said:

Did women really put up with men with hair like that? Yikes! It looks like they're in a courtroom, so maybe she's divorcing the lug.

LOL The Greaser look. Must've come off on the pillow! (Remember Brylcreem?) Not sure if its her hubby or her lawyer. It's from one of her early Fox films. The Trial of Vivien Ware. Someone who posted a few pages back saw it recently at a film festival last year. (I've never seen it). I think it was Polly of the Precodes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL The Greaser look. Must've come off on the pillow! (Remember Brylcreem?) Not sure if its her hubby or her lawyer. It's from one of her early Fox films. The Trial of Vivien Ware. Someone who posted a few pages back saw it recently at a film festival last year. (I've never seen it). I think it was Polly of the Precodes!

You remember correctly--and that slick man is her ex-boyfriend/attorney defending her against a murder charge.

I've seen men styled similarly in films of that period (i.e., every George Raft film I've ever seen). But I must admit I hadn't thought about getting...in close contact?...with someone who wears his hair that way.

https://www.romecapitol.com/capitolfest-19-current-schedule/

Is anyone else going to this year's Capitolfest? The featured star is Robert Armstrong, but I'm most excited for Seed (1931, featuring one of Bette Davis' earliest performances).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

You remember correctly--and that slick man is her ex-boyfriend/attorney defending her against a murder charge.

I've seen men styled similarly in films of that period (i.e., every George Raft film I've ever seen). But I must admit I hadn't thought about getting...in close contact?...with someone who wears his hair that way.

https://www.romecapitol.com/capitolfest-19-current-schedule/

Is anyone else going to this year's Capitolfest? The featured star is Robert Armstrong, but I'm most excited for Seed (1931, featuring one of Bette Davis' earliest performances).

TikiSoo might be going. I know she has in the past.

21 minutes ago, Hibi said:

See the source image

I'm trying to think who this looks like but it's not coming to me. If I'd seen this anywhere but in your thread, I'm not sure I would have guessed it was Joan. Beautiful, though.

Too much of  a mannequin look for my taste;  I.e. her personality is missing in that photo.

I also wonder what such photos were used for?    E.g. what type of promo would such a photo be used for?   (and thus why was it taken by the studio,  assuming this was a studio paid for photo shoot).

5 hours ago, DougieB said:

I'm trying to think who this looks like but it's not coming to me. If I'd seen this anywhere but in your thread, I'm not sure I would have guessed it was Joan. Beautiful, though.

It does remind me of someone, but I cant think of who either! Gene Tierney, maybe?

On 6/14/2022 at 5:52 PM, Polly of the Precodes said:

Is anyone else going to this year's Capitolfest? The featured star is Robert Armstrong,

On 6/14/2022 at 6:14 PM, Hibi said:

TikiSoo might be going. I know she has in the past.

Yes TikiSoo will be there, but Robert Armstrong as the featured star leaves me cold. I used to skip years when I wasn't so interested in the featured star, but instead this year decided to participate by taking a booth in the Dealer Room. Looking forward to seeing my TCM Forum friends Polly, Midnight & Musical Novelty!

I'll be featuring my glass charms of movie stars...you bet there are a lot of Joan Bennett charms in the mix! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Because a mole on an otherwise flawless female face is a "beauty mark."

The question was rhetorical but I get your point;   Thus my reply would be similar to that of Gold Hat;    Joan doesn't need any stinking beauty mark!

On 7/1/2022 at 4:33 PM, DougieB said:

I'm assuming this is a movie still? Please tell me she doesn't have a date with a werewolf.

LOL! I'm not sure what film it's from. Maybe Something Behind the Door?

On 7/1/2022 at 4:54 PM, CinemaInternational said:

I saw her in Private Worlds earlier this week and she was excellent in it.

I think she was nominated for that. Still waiting for a TCM premiere!

14 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think she was nominated for that. Still waiting for a TCM premiere!

For clarity,  the "she" is Claudette Colbert;   nominated for Best Actress for her role in Private Worlds.

43 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

For clarity,  the "she" is Claudette Colbert;   nominated for Best Actress for her role in Private Worlds.

Wasn't Joan up for supporting?