Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022

14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Something funny is going on with that link.   I never intended to post a review,  but instead the poster for Big Brown Eyes.  AND at one time I did post the poster.  I.e. I saw it.  That is why I asked you that question.  BUT just now,   I do NOT see the poster but instead a link to that review (what you must have seen).    I edited the post to get rid of that link.  

Voodoo is happening!

Weird. Interesting that Joan gets first billing over Grant in Wedding Present.

• Like 1

I am not comparing one actress with another, since I am also a huge fan of Doris Day.

But I was a bit dismayed that TCM chose Doris to be Star of the Month in March. It's her fourth such time in the spotlight and she always has a birthday tribute, plus other instances where her movies are run on TCM. 

I really think the programming department could have chosen Joan Bennett to honor instead.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I am not comparing one actress with another, since I am also a huge fan of Doris Day.

But I was a bit dismayed that TCM chose Doris to be Star of the Month in March. It's her fourth such time in the spotlight and she always has a birthday tribute, plus other instances where her movies are run on TCM. 

I really think the programming department could have chosen Joan Bennett to honor instead.

As you know,  CNN and TCM are owned by the same parent company;  The CNN website has been running:   what the real Doris Day is like, it might surprise you,  type bylines for a week or so now.    I.e. different photos of Day with a take on that byline.     I was going to post about this when I first saw it but didn't know where it would "fit" at this forum.   I.e. I found it odd and asked myself;  of all the actors why Day for something like this?  (in fact why "this" at all since it sounds like gossip type rage stuff).  Why did CNN appear to single out Day? 

I don't think Day as SOTM and what I'm seeing on CCN is just a coincidence. 

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As you know,  CNN and TCM are owned by the same parent company;  The CNN website has been running:   what the real Doris Day is like, it might surprise you,  type bylines for a week or so now.    I.e. different photos of Day with a take on that byline.     I was going to post about this when I first saw it but didn't know where it would "fit" at this forum.   I.e. I found it odd and asked myself;  of all the actors why Day for something like this?  (in fact why "this" at all since it sound like gossip type rage stuff).  Why did CNN appear to single out Day? 

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for mentioning it. Maybe TCM is about to publish a new book on Doris Day, and this is all clever cross-promotion and marketing.

But truth be told, Doris and her WB movies are a bit over-exposed on TCM.

Meanwhile the Joan Bennett camp is left high and dry. Again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 2/5/2021 at 2:50 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

As you know,  CNN and TCM are owned by the same parent company;  The CNN website has been running:   what the real Doris Day is like, it might surprise you,  type bylines for a week or so now.    I.e. different photos of Day with a take on that byline.     I was going to post about this when I first saw it but didn't know where it would "fit" at this forum.   I.e. I found it odd and asked myself;  of all the actors why Day for something like this?  (in fact why "this" at all since it sounds like gossip type rage stuff).  Why did CNN appear to single out Day? 

Interesting. I hadn't seen that.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:58 PM, TopBilled said:

One could say that about John Garfield too. Isnt this his 3rd go round? I know it's not his first. TCM rarely goes outside the box of its "regulars" for SOTM status.

Just now, Hibi said:

One could say that about John Garfield too. Isnt this his 3rd go round? I know it's not his first. TCM rarely goes outside the box of its "regulars" for SOTM status.

They basically had to pay for Oscar films outside the library twice-- they rented films for February, many of which they kept on the schedule, then had to re-rent some of them for April, since Oscar was postponed.

As a result of these extra costs, I think they went with Garfield and Day because they are "cheap" programming choices. All of Garfield's films on the schedule in February come from the WB and MGM section of TCM's library...and about 90% of Day's films on the schedule in March come from the WB section of TCM's library. 

I certainly agree that Joan Bennett is long overdue for SOTM. 

A few questions; was her sister Constance ever SOTM? I assume she probably was because many of her films were at RKO which TCM seems to have easy access to. Also, did Joan and Constance ever appear in a film together? I can't recall but maybe someone knows otherwise.

6 minutes ago, midnight08 said:

I certainly agree that Joan Bennett is long overdue for SOTM. 

A few questions; was her sister Constance ever SOTM? I assume she probably was because many of her films were at RKO which TCM seems to have easy access to. Also, did Joan and Constance ever appear in a film together? I can't recall but maybe someone knows otherwise.

Joan Bennett and her sister Constance Bennett were both in the silent film THE VALLEY OF DECISION (1916) which starred their father Richard Bennett. Their sister Barbara Bennett, also an actress, was featured as well. The leading lady was Adrienne Morrison-- mother of Joan, Constance and Barbara. As you can guess, the Morrison-Bennetts were an acting dynasty.

Constance was TCM's Star of the Month back in 2012. For more:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

1941  - Confirm or Deny.

Thanks. That was my guess, but Bennett & Ameche did another film together a bit later so I wasn't sure!

• Hibi changed the title to JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2021
  • Hibi changed the title to JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022