Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022

Hibi

On 2/10/2021 at 10:11 AM, Hibi said:

Actress Joan Bennett wearing mauve lame and black rayon velvet dress and jewelry by Flato.

That is the oddest dress I've ever seen- lamé & velvet? The fabric is poorly placed, pushing her breasts down under her armpits. Looks like she's giving the designer the finger, I would.

Do you know if the photo references a particular movie?

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

That is the oddest dress I've ever seen- lamé & velvet? The fabric is poorly placed, pushing her breasts down under her armpits. Looks like she's giving the designer the finger, I would.

Do you know if the photo references a particular movie?

LOL! No, it didn't say. Probably a publicity shot.

35 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I thought I would ask what people would schedule for Joan Bennett.

Let's say there are four nights.

Night 1: Precodes

Night 2: Noir & Horror

Night 3: Comedies

Night 4: Romance Dramas

I posted a similar type set of four nights a while back (with the actual movies I wished to see).

The only difference is that I had a "as a mother" night,  since later in her career (like a lot of actresses)  Joan played a mother in some very good movies.

13 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I posted a similar type set of four nights a while back (with the actual movies I wished to see).

The only difference is that I had a "as a mother" night,  since later in her career (like a lot of actresses)  Joan played a mother in some very good movies.

Okay great. I didn't see your earlier post.

On 12/10/2020 at 7:44 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is my proposed Joan Bennet SOTM 4 day line-up;    

Week One - Pre-Code Joan:

Hush Money

Careless Lady

Week Ends Only

Wild  Girl

Arizona To Broadway

Little Women

The Pursuit of Happiness

Week Two -  Dark Side of Joan

The Women in the Window

Scarlet Street

The Women on the Beach

Secret Beyond the Door

Hollow Triumph 

The Reckless Moment

Highway Dragnet

Week Three - Mother Joan

Farther of the Bride

Father's Little Dividend

We're No Angels

There's Always Tomorrow

For Heaven's Sake

Week Four - Misc

Big Brown Eyes

Man Hunt

The Son of Monte Cristo

Trade Winds

She Knew All The Answers

The Macomber Affair

The Man Who Reclaimed His Head

Joan Bennett - Hollywood's Golden Age

• Like 3

Nice grouping of Joan Bennett films, James.

I would add two horror films under the "dark side" sub-theme-- HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS (1970) and SUSPIRIA (1977) which are both classics.

A precode that TCM has shown before is ME AND MY GAL (1932) which was an early picture she made with Spencer Tracy at Fox. They also did SHE WANTED A MILLIONAIRE (1932) but that one has never aired.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 12.41.10 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_I_Married

I really love THE MAN I MARRIED (1940) so that's one I'd definitely include. It's a good example of pre-war propaganda from 20th Century Fox. Francis Lederer plays a German-born American who gets drawn into the Nazi party when he and his wife (Bennett) visit his relatives in Germany. They have a young boy and she is afraid their son will end up being a Nazi too.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 12.42.59 PM

Maria Ouspenskaya has a supporting role and so do Otto Kruger and Lloyd Nolan. It's basically a "B" film but is a cut above, thanks to Bennett's performance. It also features Anna Sten, whom I always enjoy watching despite the fact she never became a bonafide star in Hollywood.

THE MAN I MARRIED is currently on YouTube.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Nice grouping of Joan Bennett films, James.

I would add two horror films under the "dark side" sub-theme-- HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS (1970) and SUSPIRIA (1977) which are both classics.

A precode that TCM has shown before is ME AND MY GAL (1932) which was an early picture she made with Spencer Tracy at Fox. They also did SHE WANTED A MILLIONAIRE (1932) but that one has never aired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_I_Married

I really love THE MAN I MARRIED (1940) so that's one I'd definitely include. It's a good example of pre-war propaganda from 20th Century Fox. Francis Lederer plays a German-born American who gets drawn into the Nazi party when he and his wife (Bennett) visit his relatives in Germany. They have a young boy and she is afraid their son will end up being a Nazi too. Maria Ouspenskaya has a supporting role and so do Otto Kruger and Lloyd Nolan. It's basically a "B" film but is a cut above, thanks to Bennett's performance. It also features Anna Sten, whom I always enjoy watching despite the fact she never became a bonafide star in Hollywood.

THE MAN I MARRIED is currently on YouTube.

You mention some very good films I didn't include.   Looks like Joan needs to be featured in a month where she can get 5 days instead of just 4.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 11:33 AM, Hibi said:

Confirm Or Deny : News Photo

Don Ameche is incredibly handsome in this picture. He doesn't even look this good in Midnight, where Mitchell Leisen gives him a look (leather cap, pullover) that makes him look sexier and more masculine than usual.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kingrat said:

Don Ameche is incredibly handsome in this picture. He doesn't even look this good in Midnight, where Mitchell Leisen gives him a look (leather cap, pullover) that makes him look sexier and more masculine than usual.

Yes, agree. I thought it was Ronald Colman at first.

• Hibi changed the title to JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2021
On 12/16/2020 at 8:17 AM, Hibi said:

Actress Joan Bennett performing in scene from the movie Scarlet Street.

I think this is the see through dress from Woman in the Window.

I watched The Woman in the Window once again recently on Movies!  Unfortunately, it was colorized.  It had been so long I had forgotten most of the story and the surprise ending.  Movies! will be showing Father's Little Dividend on March 30.

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

What movies are they showing?

Schedule (subject to change): https://www.romecapitol.com/capitolfest-18-current-schedule/

Personal highlights:

• Starring Joan Bennett: The Trial of Vivienne Ware (Fox, 1932); She Wanted a Millionaire (Fox, 1932, featuring Spencer Tracy); Hush Money (Fox, 1931); Week Ends Only (Fox, 1931)
  • Other films I'm anticipating: Her Wedding Night (Paramount, 1930, starring Clara Bow); Show Girl (First National, 1928, starring Alice White); Wandering Fires (MGM, 1925, starring Constance Bennett)

The two previous years I attended (Capitolfest 15 and 16), one or two features were replaced at the last minute. But I expect the total show to be worth the trip.

Right now I plan on driving up from DC Thursday morning, attending all three days, and driving back Sunday night/Monday morning.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Schedule (subject to change): https://www.romecapitol.com/capitolfest-18-current-schedule/

Personal highlights:

• Starring Joan Bennett: The Trial of Vivienne Ware (Fox, 1932); She Wanted a Millionaire (Fox, 1932, featuring Spencer Tracy); Hush Money (Fox, 1931); Week Ends Only (Fox, 1931)
  • Other films I'm anticipating: Her Wedding Night (Paramount, 1930, starring Clara Bow); Show Girl (First National, 1928, starring Alice White); Wandering Fires (MGM, 1925, starring Constance Bennett)

The two previous years I attended (Capitolfest 15 and 16), one or two features were replaced at the last minute. But I expect the total show to be worth the trip.

Right now I plan on driving up from DC Thursday morning, attending all three days, and driving back Sunday night/Monday morning.

I'm jealous! Please share your experience and thoughts on the films when you get back. I haven't seen ANY of those Fox films of Joan's.

19 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Personal highlights:

Sounds like you will have an excellent time!

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'm jealous! Please share your experience and thoughts on the films when you get back. I haven't seen ANY of those Fox films of Joan's.

I'll definitely log my reactions on Letterboxd (https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/). But yes, I do intend to share my impressions here as well.

SO MANY movies that are extant, but due to rights issues or donor restrictions or collector scumitis, aren't available to TCM. 🥵

• Hibi changed the title to JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022