• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022

Hibi

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

Thanks! What will they be showing???

Current schedule: https://www.romecapitol.com/capitolfest-18-current-schedule/

Looking forward to: The Trial of Vivienne Ware (Fox, 1932); Show Girl (First National, 1928); She Wanted a Millionaire (Fox, 1932); Hush Money (Fox, 1931); Her Wedding Night (Paramount, 1930);  Wandering Fires (MGM, 1925);  and Week Ends Only (Fox, 1931).

• Like 1

THANKS! I think you may have posted this before, but I'd forgotten the films. So many films I'd love to see. Please report back to us! Would love to see ALL of Joan's films and the Constance silent. Clara Bow;  Colleen Moore......

• 2 weeks later...

Heading to Capitolfest tomorrow. The current schedule: https://www.romecapitol.com/capitolfest-18-current-schedule/. The Pursuit of Happiness (Paramount, 1934, starring Joan Bennett) is a recent addition to the schedule. Very much looking forward to it.

I've already been in touch with some of you about meeting up. For those of you who can't make it, I'll post recaps and impressions.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 6:26 PM, Polly of the Precodes said:

The Pursuit of Happiness (Paramount, 1934, starring Joan Bennett) is a recent addition to the schedule. 

I've already been in touch with some of you about meeting up. For those of you who can't make it, I'll post recaps and impressions.

I don't see it on the schedule, but that's The Capitol for ya. Run by the seat of their pants, you gotta remain flexible.

Let's try to gather for a photo or even a video "hello" for the TCM Message Board Members who couldn't be there. With Cinefest discontinued, Eastman House & Toronto Film Society still "remote", maybe more TCMers will attend CapitolFest next year.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 6:26 PM, Polly of the Precodes said:

Heading to Capitolfest tomorrow. The current schedule: https://www.romecapitol.com/capitolfest-18-current-schedule/. The Pursuit of Happiness (Paramount, 1934, starring Joan Bennett) is a recent addition to the schedule. Very much looking forward to it.

Yes, please do! Can't wait to hear your comments!

56 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I don't see it on the schedule, but that's The Capitol for ya. Run by the seat of their pants, you gotta remain flexible.

Let's try to gather for a photo or even a video "hello" for the TCM Message Board Members who couldn't be there. With Cinefest discontinued, Eastman House & Toronto Film Society still "remote", maybe more TCMers will attend CapitolFest next year.

That would be fun!

Well the festival did not disappoint. Sunday's Joan Bennett movie WEEKENDS ONLY 1931 was another typical romantic comedy of a destitute girl looking for a decent way to support herself & the older rich men trying to exploit her. Was this scenario really that common? Or just a convenient trope? 

Joan played a decent good girl who loved the boy next door who was an artist. She was a weekend "hostess" in a speakeasy making enough money to ghost-buy his paintings to support him. Of course keeping secret where she worked since it was considered pretty sordid-only one step above prostitution. It gave her the opportunity to wear stunning gowns and look gorgeous!

The real stand out was a Edward Everett Horton comedy short beforehand. I had seen EEH in early silent shorts before & was blown away by how great they are. This one was complete, being one of 8 produced by Harold Lloyd. All 8 shorts were found in Lloyd's personal collection, restored by LOC & available on DVD. Wish I had seen it in the dealer's room-would have bought it.

As promised, here's pics:

Midnight08, TikiSoo & musicalnovelty in the dealer room:MidnightTSNovelty.jpg.3c1f1972752c5287341c970786128170.jpg

Notice who has a big bag of merchandise!

And Midnight08 & me again, this time with the delightful Polly Of The Precodes!

MidnightTSPolly.jpg.824c9b8c6b206524c9694d832f075644.jpg

Sorry there isn't more of the lobby showing. What fun to watch old movies with TCM message board friends!

I spent quite a bit of time talking with a serious Joan Bennett fan who is starting a 10 part podcast this Tuesday about the Joan Bennett murder scandal! Don't know anything about it-can't wait!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the pics! Glad you were all able to get together. Did you see any other Joan films? Let us know about the podcast. I'm sure you are talking about the Jennings Lang shooting (by her husband).

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Well the festival did not disappoint. Sunday's Joan Bennett movie WEEKENDS ONLY 1931 was another typical romantic comedy of a destitute girl looking for a decent way to support herself & the older rich men trying to exploit her. Was this scenario really that common? Or just a convenient trope?

Women were generally vulnerable economically. In theory they could work, but workplaces could be downright exploitative (if you haven't seen Employees Entrance (1933) do so as soon as possible). I don't know that all that many women literally supported themselves as wife, mistress, or professional hostess to a rich man, but the idea probably appealed to women struggling to make a living as a shopgirl or stenographer. And the idea that women who sold themselves in one way or another would eventually regret it (especially as shown in She Wanted a Millionaire) would have appealed to the more conservative elements of society. Then of course Hollywood found this tension a useful plot engine.

Update: I drove back home immediately after Capitolfest. I did make it back safely, before heavy rains came into the DC area. But I'm still tired and nervous, and will write more when I've had some more rest. As for Joan Bennett on TCM, the Capitolfest director said--without actually naming Disney--that he'd run into trouble trying to get the rights to run certain Fox films to play at the festival. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Disney were to license any Fox films to TCM. And Robert Armstrong will be the 2022 Capitolfest featured star. I've seen hints that WB is digging into archival material on King Kong--is there any reason to expect a special edition in the near future, possibly with improved or even previously lost elements?

Funny thing is, as a child, my first exposure to Joan was watching her on the reruns of DARK SHADOWS, I didn't even know she had a film career until much later on which I saw her opposite Spencer Tracy in the original FATHER OF THE BRIDE.

Since then I've been catching up with a lot of her movies. While she may not have quite the star power or versatility of Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Olivia de Havilland, Barbara Stanwyck, etc. she did have a certain something that kept you intrigued when watching her.

• Like 2

One of the comments I overheard was how much Joan resembled others; in one scene she looked just like Lucille Ball, in another she looked just like Hedy Lamarr & so on. I love the particulars of her face-her tiny mouth & huge eyes-very symmetrical. Plus that VOICE! It was her voice that I always recognize in a movie-as you say from FATHER OF THE BRIDE to DARK SHADOWS.

Funny that Constance is also beautiful, also has a unique voice, with similarities, but each sister is different. Joan comes across as smart yet casual somehow and seems like someone I'd like to know.

• Hibi changed the title to JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022