Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022


Recommended Posts

My Letterboxd reviews: https://letterboxd.com/pollyprecoder/films/reviews/by/added/. You don't have to register to read my reviews, but must if you want to leave comments.

Capitolfest, Friday, August 13

"Blue Blazes" Rawden (1918): A robust but not otherwise distinguished drama of the Canadian Northwest.
The Trial of Vivienne Ware (Fox, 1932): One of the highlights of the festival.
Madame Spy (Universal, 1942)
Show Girl (First National, 1928)
She Wanted a Millionaire (Fox. 1932): Another highlight. It was worth the trip to get a chance to see this.
Rich People (Pathe, 1929)
Topper (MGM, 1937). The opportunity to see a 35mm print with an audience convinced me to stay and rewatch this. I know it's a beloved comedy, but if I found myself haunted by the spectres of the Kerbys I'd call in The Ghostbusters.

In the Constance Bennett films I've seen so far she usually has a glossy invulnerability--I can't believe she can't not get herself out of whatever current predicament. Joan has a vulnerability that I find more winning.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Capitolfest, Saturday, August 14

The Pursuit of Happiness (Paramount, 1934): A last-minute addition to the schedule, and a pleasant surprise.
The Last Card (Metro, 1921): The sort of far-fetched melodrama that given silent drama a bad name.
So This Is Eden (Hoover Company, 1927): A proto-infomercial/soap opera, in which a vacuum cleaner salesman saves the day.
The River Pirate (Fox, 1928): A well-made crime drama, but I can't be bothered to write more about it.
Her Wedding Night (Paramount, 1930): Another highlight of Capitolfest.
Duck Soup (Roach/Pathe, 1927): Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy aren't quite yet Laurel & Hardy, comedy powerhouse, but it's within sight.
Wandering Fires (Arrow, 1925)
John Barrymore Technicolor Test for Hamlet (1933): Barrymore looks too old to modern audiences, who are accustomed to philosophy grad student Hamlets. But if he had made this film he probably would have shaped 20th-century audiences' ideas of what the character should be.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Capitolfest, Sunday, August 15

Artists and Models Abroad (Paramount, 1938): Better than I expected. I still have little respect for Jack Benny, but Joan Bennett was radiant.
Dad's Choice (Paramount, 1928)
His Nibs (Exception, 1921): An incredible surprise--a metacomedy of 1921 moviegoing. I don't know how available this is, but do see it if you get the chance.
Week Ends Only (Fox, 1932): Another highlight of the festival, making good use of Joan's ability to project vulnerability.
Four Days Wonder (Universal, 1937)
Katharine Hepburn Technicolor Test for Joan of Arc (1934): A tantalizing fragment of what might have been...although I suspect the completed film would have had a certain resemblance to Queen Christina. This can be seen on MoMA's YouTube channel.
The Shield of Honor (Universal, 1927)

Another year, another hair-raising drive back and forth, another pile of...acquisitions from the dealers' room. I'm already making my plans for next year. Disney, I am very disappointed with your policy on licensing the Fox films you recently acquired.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

My Letterboxd reviews: https://letterboxd.com/pollyprecoder/films/reviews/by/added/. You don't have to register to read my reviews, but must if you want to leave comments.

Capitolfest, Friday, August 13

"Blue Blazes" Rawden (1918): A robust but not otherwise distinguished drama of the Canadian Northwest.
The Trial of Vivienne Ware (Fox, 1932): One of the highlights of the festival.
Madame Spy (Universal, 1942)
Show Girl (First National, 1928)
She Wanted a Millionaire (Fox. 1932): Another highlight. It was worth the trip to get a chance to see this.
Rich People (Pathe, 1929)
Topper (MGM, 1937). The opportunity to see a 35mm print with an audience convinced me to stay and rewatch this. I know it's a beloved comedy, but if I found myself haunted by the spectres of the Kerbys I'd call in The Ghostbusters.

In the Constance Bennett films I've seen so far she usually has a glossy invulnerability--I can't believe she can't not get herself out of whatever current predicament. Joan has a vulnerability that I find more winning.

Thanks, for posting this!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Capitolfest, Sunday, August 15

Artists and Models Abroad (Paramount, 1938): Better than I expected. I still have little respect for Jack Benny, but Joan Bennett was radiant.
Dad's Choice (Paramount, 1928)
His Nibs (Exception, 1921): An incredible surprise--a metacomedy of 1921 moviegoing. I don't know how available this is, but do see it if you get the chance.
Week Ends Only (Fox, 1932): Another highlight of the festival, making good use of Joan's ability to project vulnerability.
Four Days Wonder (Universal, 1937)
Katharine Hepburn Technicolor Test for Joan of Arc (1934): A tantalizing fragment of what might have been...although I suspect the completed film would have had a certain resemblance to Queen Christina. This can be seen on MoMA's YouTube channel.
The Shield of Honor (Universal, 1927)

Another year, another hair-raising drive back and forth, another pile of...acquisitions from the dealers' room. I'm already making my plans for next year. Disney, I am very disappointed with your policy on licensing the Fox films you recently acquired.

How many of Fox films HAVE they acquired? What do they intend to do with them??

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hibi said:

How many of Fox films HAVE they acquired? What do they intend to do with them??

Disney basically acquired 20th Century Fox's (film and television) assets in total. There's speculation that the film catalog may be available on Hulu one day, but no official word.

Sadly, this would be in line with most of the big legacy film catalogs--NBC-Universal seems to only be interested in the horror classics and the Marlene Dietrich titles. If Sony is streaming any of the old Columbia titles, I haven't found them. When I first heard about Disney acquiring Fox, I was afraid that the surviving pre-1935 titles would be put in the vault next to Song of the South, never to be officially screened again. And right now that seems to be the case.

My favorite Joan Bennett titles from Capitolfest: The Trial of Vivienne Ware and She Wanted a Millionaire (both 1932).

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Disney, I am very disappointed with your policy on licensing the Fox films you recently acquired.

Does Disney actually have a policy,  and if they do,  have they released this to the public?   I.e. what is  the policy?

I ask because I assumed what we are seeing so-far (since the acquisition) is the result of Disney not having  established a policy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Disney basically acquired 20th Century Fox's (film and television) assets in total. There's speculation that the film catalog may be available on Hulu one day, but no official word.

Sadly, this would be in line with most of the big legacy film catalogs--NBC-Universal seems to only be interested in the horror classics and the Marlene Dietrich titles. If Sony is streaming any of the old Columbia titles, I haven't found them. When I first heard about Disney acquiring Fox, I was afraid that the surviving pre-1935 titles would be put in the vault next to Song of the South, never to be officially screened again. And right now that seems to be the case.

My favorite Joan Bennett titles from Capitolfest: The Trial of Vivienne Ware and She Wanted a Millionaire (both 1932).

That's awful. I hope that's not the case with Disney. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Does Disney actually have a policy,  and if they do,  have they released this to the public?   I.e. what is  the policy?

I ask because I assumed what we are seeing so-far (since the acquisition) is the result of Disney not having  established a policy.

Disney's official line after the acquisition was that NONE of the 20th Century Fox titles would be made available to theaters. After considerable backlash, they amended that to say that films would be available to "repertory theaters," which would include the Capitol Theater, home to Capitolfest. However, as part of the introduction to the last block of films, the director of the Capitol Theater mentioned--conspicuously not naming Disney--that after 6 weeks of negotiation suddenly they were refusing to license films for Capitolfest screenings. After someone at UCLA intervened, they were able to get some of the titles. This is probably why Hush Money (1931) was replaced with Paramount's The Pursuit of Happiness (1934).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Disney's official line after the acquisition was that NONE of the 20th Century Fox titles would be made available to theaters. After considerable backlash, they amended that to say that films would be available to "repertory theaters," which would include the Capitol Theater, home to Capitolfest. However, as part of the introduction to the last block of films, the director of the Capitol Theater mentioned--conspicuously not naming Disney--that after 6 weeks of negotiation suddenly they were refusing to license films for Capitolfest screenings. After someone at UCLA intervened, they were able to get some of the titles. This is probably why Hush Money (1931) was replaced with Paramount's The Pursuit of Happiness (1934).

Really stupid. Doesn't bode well. Why buy them then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Yes! I absolutely agree.

When will Joan get her due?

Who knows! I'm not holding my breath!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Likely never especially since Disney acquired Fox.    

Yes, but they could come up with a decent overview WITHOUT Fox. They just aren't interested!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, but they could come up with a decent overview WITHOUT Fox. They just aren't interested!

And if TCM did that,   you would move forward?     

Dang,  I wish I knew this before,  because I would  have called Charles personally and lobbied on your behalf. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

And if TCM did that...     

You mean "if TCM schedules Joan Bennett as SOTM using non Fox movies" ?

13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

(And if TCM did that)   you would move forward?   

What do you mean by  "move forward"?  What are you referring to?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

And if TCM did that,   you would move forward?     

Dang,  I wish I knew this before,  because I would  have called Charles personally and lobbied on your behalf. 

 

Yes, I'll move forward...................to other stars TCM have not picked for SOTM!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I'll move forward...................to other stars TCM have not picked for SOTM!

Well you better get busy. Because there are lot of them.

Need to get the word out for:

Ricardo Montalban
Robert Preston
Gene Tierney
Marlon Brando
Peter Lawford
Yvonne De Carlo
Audie Murphy
Don Ameche
Alice Faye
John Payne
Pat O'Brien
Veronica Lake
George Sanders
George Murphy

-and-

Alan Ladd

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 8.59.48 AM

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't it be cool if they showed Suspiria as part of a Bennett salute? Pipe dream, I know. She was good in an early talkie playing a gum-chewing barmaid who has a sister engaged to a louse. I can't seem to find the title. I did see it on TCM about a year ago. Anyone know it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Hibi changed the title to JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...