Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Don't keep us in suspense. Which film was it?

ūüėĀ Took a minute to format the post. I saw it during the Spencer Tracy run. Not a great film - the drunk gags go on far too long. But it's fun. The Tracy-Bennett verbal sparring makes it.

2 minutes ago, ando said:

ūüėĀ Took a minute to format the post. I saw it during the Spencer Tracy run. Not a great film - the drunk gags go on far too long. But it's fun. The Tracy-Bennett verbal sparring makes it.

Yes, I figured you were referring to ME AND MY GAL (1932). One of her better Fox precodes.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, ando said:

Wouldn't it be cool if they showed Suspiria as part of a Bennett salute? Pipe dream, I know. She was good in an early talkie playing a gum-chewing barmaid who has a sister engaged to a louse. I can't seem to find the title. I did see it on TCM about a year ago. Anyone know it?

TCM shows Suspiria once in awhile so it could be included.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Hibi said:

TCM has shown this a few times.

I would like to see that one, I had only seen Joan and Spencer in the FATHER OF THE BRIDE/FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND films. Probably not likely to happen any time soon though, from the looks of it.

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

You mean "if TCM schedules Joan Bennett as SOTM using non Fox movies" ?

What do you mean by  "move forward"?  What are you referring to?

Yes,  If TCM was to have SOTM using non Fox films.   Note the same applies to Brando,  Ladd,  and other stars TCM hasn't feature.

I.e.  there is a common theme:  most of their best work wasn't part of the Turner Library of films. 

As far as "move forward";  That means that each time there is another SOTM someone doesn't continue to ask:  why not this star? 

Hibi knows I was just teasing her;  Frankly I wouldn't "move forward" if I was a big fan of the star and their most important films in their legacy weren't included as part of SOTM because they weren't MGM, WB or RKO films. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yes, that would be the ideal, but knowing how TCM operates, I'd settle.

I hear ya.   Some Joan is better than no Joan!  But I still say give me all of Joan!

Joan BennettJoan Bennett - photos & quotes - Bizarre Los Angeles

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

s-l500.jpg.b079e95cf774127b9b605b0c1a891a92.jpg

with Gene Markey who also married Hedy Lamarr  right after Joan  and Myrna Loy after Hedy.At one point Joan had a 'Hedy period' with her own  hairdo sometime if you look fast they  looked the same .I have seen many photos,as I collected original pix of Hedy

Yes, they shared Markey (though not at the same time!). And shared looks (for awhile) when Joan became a brunette. Markey must've had something, though he was nothing to look at.

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Markey must've had something, though he was nothing to look at.

I thought he was insane to have divorced Hedy...but i think she had her own problems (6 divorces)...He was supposed to be a very cultured man ,if i remem ber well Hedy adopted a boy  with Markey,She was later  estranged from her adopted son.Markey was a serial cheater.

34 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, they shared Markey (though not at the same time!). And shared looks (for awhile) when Joan became a brunette. Markey must've had something, though he was nothing to look at.

I have never heard of Markey until today but wow,  this author was a player.    And they say a picture is worth a thousand words!  This from Wiki:

Although he was not overly handsome, he was a very skilled conversationalist and he quickly became a popular fixture in Hollywood society. Among his good friends in Hollywood were producer¬†John Hay Whitney, composer¬†Irving Berlin, and actors¬†Douglas Fairbanks Jr.,¬†Ward Bond¬†and¬†John Wayne. He would often go fishing with Bond and Wayne off¬†Catalina Island. A 1946 article in the¬†Washington Times Herald¬†said, "Other Men Say: What's Gene Markey Got That We Haven't Got?" The article ran a photo of¬†Rudolph Valentino¬†with the caption, "NOT SO HOT¬†‚Äď By Comparison. Though all American womanhood swooned over him in his day, Rudolph Valentino was no Markey." Soon after he arrived in Hollywood in 1929, it was also reported that, "Markey became the most sought after unattached man in the cinema firmament, so sprinkled with far handsomer, richer male stars.

• Thanks 1

Here  is  my  wish  list  of   Joan  Bennett   Paramount  Films.   Private  Worlds  1935  Joan  is  with  Claudette  Colbert,  Charles  Boyer  and  Joel  McCrea   Mississippi  1935   Joan  is  with   Bing  Crosby,  WC  Fields  and  Gail  Patrick   Big  Brown  Eyes   1936   Joan  is  with  Cary  Grant ,  Walter  Pidgeon  and  Lloyd  Nolan   13  Hours  By  Air   1936  Fred  MacMurray ,  ZaSu  Pitts  and  Brian  Donlevy    The  Texans  1938   Joan  is  with  Randolph  Scott ,  Walter Brennan  and  Robert  Cummings    We're  No   Angels  1955  Joan  is  with   Humphrey  Bogart,  Peter  Ustinov  and  Aldo  Ray   My  next  post  is  my  Joan  Bennett  United  Artist  Films  wish  list.  Thanks

1 minute ago, cinemaman said:

Here  is  my  wish  list  of   Joan  Bennett   Paramount  Films.   Private  Worlds  1935  Joan  is  with  Claudette  Colbert,  Charles  Boyer  and  Joel  McCrea   Mississippi  1935   Joan  is  with   Bing  Crosby,  WC  Fields  and  Gail  Patrick   Big  Brown  Eyes   1936   Joan  is  with  Cary  Grant ,  Walter  Pidgeon  and  Lloyd  Nolan   13  Hours  By  Air   1936  Fred  MacMurray ,  ZaSu  Pitts  and  Brian  Donlevy    The  Texans  1938   Joan  is  with  Randolph  Scott ,  Walter Brennan  and  Robert  Cummings    We're  No   Angels  1955  Joan  is  with   Humphrey  Bogart,  Peter  Ustinov  and  Aldo  Ray   My  next  post  is  my  Joan  Bennett  United  Artist  Films  wish  list.  Thanks

Don't forget Wedding Present, also with Cary Grant!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here  is  my  wish  list of  Joan  Bennett   United  Artist  Films.   I   Met  My  Love  Again  1938  Joan  is  with  Henry  Fonda,  Louise  Platt  and  Alan  Marshall   Trade  Winds  1938  Joan  is  with  Fredric  March,  Ralph  Bellamy  and  Ann  Sothern   The  Man  in  the Iron  Mask  1939  Joan  is  with  Louis  Hayward,  Warren  William  and  Joseph  Schildkraut  The House  Across  the  Bay  1940  Joan  is  with  George  Raft ,  Walter  Pidgeon  and  Lloyd  Nolan   The  Macomber  Affair  1947  Joan  is  with  Gregory  Peck,  Robert  Preston  and  Reginald  Denny  My  next  post  is  my  Joan  Bennett   Columbia  Films  wish  list. Thanks

1 minute ago, cinemaman said:

Here  is  my  wish  list of  Joan  Bennett   United  Artist  Films.   I   Met  My  Love  Again  1938  Joan  is  with  Henry  Fonda,  Louise  Platt  and  Alan  Marshall   Trade  Winds  1938  Joan  is  with  Fredric  March,  Ralph  Bellamy  and  Ann  Sothern   The  Man  in  the Iron  Mask  1939  Joan  is  with  Louis  Hayward,  Warren  William  and  Joseph  Schildkraut  The House  Across  the  Bay  1940  Joan  is  with  George  Raft ,  Walter  Pidgeon  and  Lloyd  Nolan   The  Macomber  Affair  1947  Joan  is  with  Gregory  Peck,  Robert  Preston  and  Reginald  Denny  My  next  post  is  my  Joan  Bennett   Columbia  Films  wish  list. Thanks

Nice list of films:   Have you seen a good print of The House Across the Bay?    One of the retro over-the-air stations (Get-TV, ME-TV or MOVIES-TV),  was showing this film but the print was really poor,  as well as the sound.    

28 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, there's no reason to expect anything less.

Sepiatone

True;   I just wanted to show Hibi some support in her quest to keep this topic fresh and active:   TCM - please,,,, Make Joan Bennett Star of the Month.

We are not going to be denied!     Here is Joan saying "what did I ever do to deserve this".

Joan Bennett smoking ‚Äď Compilation (1938-1949) - YouTube

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Thanks for your support! Joan appreciates it.

Funny but I just re-looked at the photo I posted of Joan and asked myself "why is Joan wearing an orange for a broach?".

It took me a second to realize it was an orange or lemon wedge on her drink!

• Haha 5
  • Hibi changed the title to JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022