Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022

Omigod is that BING with the crossword puzzle? I love that the birthday boy can keep a grip on his ciggie while cutting the cake (or pretending to for photographers)

Yes. LOL. Musn't get ashes on the cake. That's Bing. They were in a film together. Think it was called Mississippi?

Not sure who Eddie is.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, DougieB said:

Back when windows had awnings. It really does look like a home, not just a house. 

True! LOL. Sadly after they sold it years later it burned down.

14 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Wow, I had no idea Joan had her own star.....good for her.

Yes, at least The Walk of Fame honors her even if TCM doesn't.

• Like 1
On 10/7/2021 at 9:22 AM, Hibi said:

I have absolutely no memory of this fire and by that time I had a big movie fixation. It sounds horrendous, so I should be ashamed that my first thought was,,,Arnold Stang lived in the same neighborhood as Zsa Zsa Gabor? But I live next to a big wooded area, so the sight of Kim Novak on her roof with a garden hose gave me shivers. I wonder if Joan lived anywhere near her old home still and was affected by the fire. 

2 hours ago, DougieB said:

I have absolutely no memory of this fire and by that time I had a big movie fixation. It sounds horrendous, so I should be ashamed that my first thought was,,,Arnold Stang lived in the same neighborhood as Zsa Zsa Gabor? But I live next to a big wooded area, so the sight of Kim Novak on her roof with a garden hose gave me shivers. I wonder if Joan lived anywhere near her old home still and was affected by the fire. 

Yes, an odd mix of people! Nixon! I don't remember it, but then I was a kid and didnt live in CA. I'm sure it was a big news story there. I only came upon it while doing some searching. I'm not sure what happened to Joan. She and Wanger got divorced around that time and I'm sure that's why the house was sold. Must've been very sad, even if she didn't live there.  No looking back. Talk about burning your bridges! Unsure if she moved east at that point, rented or what. I know she lived in NYC for a long time, but not sure when she moved there.

After doing some searching, Joan and Wanger were divorced in 1965, so maybe Joan lived in LA for a time after the fire.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, an odd mix of people! Nixon! I don't remember it, but then I was a kid and didnt live in CA. I'm sure it was a big news story there. I only came upon it while doing some searching. I'm not sure what happened to Joan. She and Wanger got divorced around that time and I'm sure that's why the house was sold. Must've been very sad, even if she didn't live there.  No looking back. Talk about burning your bridges! Unsure if she moved east at that point, rented or what. I know she lived in NYC for a long time, but not sure when she moved there.

After doing some searching, Joan and Wanger were divorced in 1965, so maybe Joan lived in LA for a time after the fire.

I wonder if his long absences working on Cleopatra were a factor in the divorce.  It was his passion project for years, exactly the kind of thing which can complicate show business relationships.  

I will have to read his bio again,but Walter Wanger lost a fortune in the Cleopatra fiasco and not only 20th Century Fox,when he died he had almost nothing and he was very successful for 20 years. The financial stress put a final nail on his marriage then.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, DougieB said:

I wonder if his long absences working on Cleopatra were a factor in the divorce.  It was his passion project for years, exactly the kind of thing which can complicate show business relationships.  

Yes, I wondered about that too, plus the resulting financial chaos brought on by the film. I don't think he ever produced another film after that. I'm not sure exactly how "married" they were after the scandal. According to one book, Joan had a long running affair with her frequent stage co-star Donald Cook during the 50s.

Interesting tidbit: Cook died around the time the house was sold. (1961)

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, nakano said:

I will have to read his bio again,but Walter Wanger lost a fortune in the Cleopatra fiasco and not only 20th Century Fox,when he died he had almost nothing and he was very successful for 20 years. The financial stress put a final nail on his marriage then.

Yes, I put a hold on his book about the making of Cleopatra at the local library. Can't wait to read it!

• Like 1
  • Hibi changed the title to JOAN BENNETT for SOTM 2022