Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

December 15 Primetime Lineup

52 minutes ago, Vidor said:

"When Knighthood Was in Flower" was  kind of a snoozer.  "Way Down East" would be a good pick.  Both would be better than "Shrek"--were they drunk?  Did someone lose a bet?

KNIGHTHOOD in my opinion was a hugely important film of the era, a mega-hit, and a masterpiece of filmmaking on every level. To each his own. And yes I agree with you on shrek

58 minutes ago, Vidor said:

"When Knighthood Was in Flower" was  kind of a snoozer.  "Way Down East" would be a good pick.  Both would be better than "Shrek"--were they drunk?  Did someone lose a bet?

The NFR does solicit popular votes on titles to add to the registry. Maybe it does increase popular awareness of film history and preservation...but I was seriously side-eying the inclusion of Shrek and The Dark Knight.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Vidor said:

More likely they've known for some time but wanted to let the NFR break the news of the inductees first.

Yes, a friend of mine who is involved with one of the films to be shown on TCM confirmed that TCM has known for a few weeks what films would be chosen for the list, and which ones TCM would be selecting to run on Dec. 15. But all involved were sworn to secrecy.

19 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

It appears you are correct!  Here is the current schedule (times are ET):

8:00 pm    comedy    Battle of the Century (1927)   (A TCM premiere)
   8:30 pm    drama    Lilies of the Field (1963)
   10:15 pm   drama    Illusions (1982)   (A TCM premiere)
   11:00 pm   romance The Joy Luck Club (1993)
   1:30 am    drama    Cabin in the Sky (1943)
   3:15 am    drama    The Man with the Golden Arm (1956)

Wish they'd at least have shown the other silent films, "Suspense" and "Bread".  Oh well.  Maybe they haven't been properly restored.

I wonder how the rights work to things like "The Dark Knight".  That's under the Time Warner umbrella, but is it more expensive to run that the Warner Brothers classic archive?  Do Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale have to be paid?

"The Man with the Golden Arm" is pretty terrific, btw.  Kim Novak at her sexiest and Frank Sinatra in what must be one of the first semi-realistic portrayals of heroin addiction in Hollywood.

Nice to see The Joy Luck Club, an excellent film, one of the underrated great films of the early 90s, the best film of its year (1993 was an extremely strong year)  join the preservation list. I was hoping that it would be added for the last several years. This is actually only the second time it has played on TCM, the previous time being in 2008.

20 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

The NFR does solicit popular votes on titles to add to the registry. Maybe it does increase popular awareness of film history and preservation...but I was seriously side-eying the inclusion of Shrek and The Dark Knight.

Shrek doesn't feel historically important at all, but it was spirited and fun. Dark Knight, on the other hand, was just nihilistic garbage, stylish and very well acted, but misanthropic, depressing tripe all the same.

• Like 4

I'd say that "The Dark Knight" was and is the best superhero movie made this century, should have gotten an Oscar nom (the fact that it didn't is why the field was expanded), and richly deserves inclusion in the NFR.  

"Shrek" in the Registry, on the other hand, is a complete joke.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Vidor said:

I'd say that "The Dark Knight" was and is the best superhero movie made this century, should have gotten an Oscar nom (the fact that it didn't is why the field was expanded), and richly deserves inclusion in the NFR.  

"Shrek" in the Registry, on the other hand, is a complete joke.

I still don't understand why Shrek ('01) out of all movies was in the NFR this year, what they gonna put in next Madagascar ('05) 😂. (I'm not saying the movies are bad, cause I personally love these films but they could have waited to put these films in a later time)

Welp, due to the DirecTV guide not displaying "The Battle of the Century" until after I went to work, I missed recording it.  What are the chances it will show up in the Watch TCM app?  There's a version on You Tube that runs 19:41; is that the one that just ran on TCM tonight?

19 hours ago, Vidor said:

Welp, due to the DirecTV guide not displaying "The Battle of the Century" until after I went to work, I missed recording it.  What are the chances it will show up in the Watch TCM app?  There's a version on You Tube that runs 19:41; is that the one that just ran on TCM tonight?

The 'almost complete' arte version with the French subtitles appears to be essentially the same as the TCM showing (I think that's the one you were referring to).

I was surprised to learn that Leonard Maltin was involved in part of the restoration  - here's an article he wrote describing the film and how the 2 main reels were discovered:

https://silentfilm.org/the-battle-of-the-century-and-other-comedy-restorations/

18 hours ago, Vidor said:

Same thing happened to me with The Joy Luck Club, tried to record it, but missed the beginning. Next year I won't bother. If TCM cant schedule these for recording purposes, then they should show them on MULTIPLE NIGHTS so people can watch them!

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Same thing happened to me with The Joy Luck Club, tried to record it, but missed the beginning. Next year I won't bother. If TCM cant schedule these for recording purposes, then they should show them on MULTIPLE NIGHTS so people can watch them!

Or maybe wait longer than 24 hours to run your slate.  It wouldn't kill them to wait a week before running the Registry movies.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:32 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Nice to see The Joy Luck Club, an excellent film, one of the underrated great films of the early 90s, the best film of its year (1993 was an extremely strong year)  join the preservation list. I was hoping that it would be added for the last several years. This is actually only the second time it has played on TCM, the previous time being in 2008.

And I missed seeing it both times! :(

On 12/14/2020 at 8:34 PM, speedracer5 said:

I'm excited for the Laurel & Hardy premiere.  That is the film I'm going to focus on.

I like me ANY Laurel and Hardy.  Especially anything I haven't seen before.  And that night's presentation was satisfying.   Now, I don't know if it was the 1st silent comedy to make a huge mess with cream pies,  but it did seem that most of the cast( extras and all) had a lot of fun filming the pie fight.  ;) 

And I stuck around for LILIES OF THE FIELD, another long time favorite of mine.  I could sit through back-to-back "encores" of it all night.  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On 12/15/2020 at 9:22 PM, Vidor said:

Yeah, these cutesy little last minute things never seem to end up well, do they.  The "Just In Time" supply-chain-management thingy didn't come through, once again, this time with the scheduling.  Even on their own platform.  What were they expecting.  Oh wait, never mind.  People will be able to watch it on a cell phone soon enough though.