Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Barbara Windsor 1937-2020

So sad to hear about Barbara Windsor's passing. Although she was probably best known for her work on East Enders and the Carry On films, she had an incredibly rich career touching many of the performing arts. I first learned about her when, as a young teen, I heard the recording of Oh! What a Lovely War, in which she delivered a brilliant rendition of "I'll Make a Man of You."  Victor Spinetti, who was in that production as well, remained friends with her. I knew Victor and had a sense from him as to what a lovely person she was.

I was fortunate to see Ms. Windsor on stage in Carry On London at the Victoria Palace in 1973.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55269649

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13444710/barbara-windsor-dead-eastenders-dementia/

TELEMMGLPICT000000257416_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Barbara Windsor with Joan Littlewood, the creator of Oh! What a Lovely War

Barbara Windsor singing "I'll Make a Man of You" can be heard at the 9:40 point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

When I was at Pinewood in 2004 there was a pre-production office for Carry on London.  It was a planned modern reprise of the series but I don't think it ever got off the ground for some reason.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

When I was at Pinewood in 2004 there was a pre-production office for Carry on London.  It was a planned modern reprise of the series but I don't think it ever got off the ground for some reason.

As a Carry On groupie, I was lucky to be in London (one of my early visits) to be able to see Carry On London.  Sid James and a few of the others were in it. Hattie Jacques was not, but many years later I was walking my dog up Eardley Crescent and came upon the only blue plaque that ever really impressed me:  

48336.jpg

carryonagaindoctor8-640x399.jpg

Barbara Windsor, Jim Dale, Hattie Jacques in Carry On Again Doctor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Swithin said:

As a Carry On groupie, I was lucky to be in London (one of my early visits) to be able to see Carry On London.  Sid James and a few of the others were in it. Hattie Jacques was not, but many years later I was walking my dog up Eardley Crescent and came upon the only blue plaque that ever really impressed me:  

48336.jpg

I was renting a flat from a friend in London for 6 months when he was sailing around the world and I thought about getting one of those blue plaques made with my own name on it and putting it outside his door for when he came back.

I believe Barba Windsor was announced to be in the film Carry on London but as I said I don't think it ever got off the ground.

5 hours ago, Vidor said:

I only recently became aware that the guy who read the Harry Potter audiobooks was a "Carry On" regular.  Jim Dale.  He's an awfully good voice actor.

I've worked with him a couple of times, he's a lovely man.