Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

STAR: Mia Farrow - September 28th. 2009!!!

CelluloidKid

What ,,,,,,!! .... No _Rosemary's Baby_ (1968)!!!!?? Or even _The Great Gatsby_ (1974)!!!

Srill "Some" good films!

*_Featured Films_*

*_Alice_ (1990)* - A spoiled Manhattan housewife re-evaluates her life after visiting a Chinatown healer.

*_A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy_ (1982)* The film was nominated for one Razzie Award, Worst Actress for Mia Farrow. This was the one and only time a Woody Allen film has ever been nominated for a Razzie.

*_Blind Terror_ (1971) AKA: See No Evil (USA)* - Sarah is a blind girl who has returned to her home, a country manor in which all of the occupants are dead... !

_*A Dandy in Aspic_ (1968)* - British spy film!

*_Death on the Nile_ (1978)* - ...??? Again TCM ..This makes 3xs in 2 (Two) months this film has been shown!!!

composite1.jpg

*Alice* holds a special place in my heart, so no complaint there.

Mia Farrow is one of the great actors of our time, and one who is often dismissed/ignored because of tabloid interest in her personal life ---- and perhaps overlooked because of the understated approach she has always approached her roles with. High time everyone looks at her work as an actor.

I love *Alice* , for personal reasons, and obviously *Rosemary* is a great movie, but *The Purple Rose of Cairo* ... that will always be in my list of Top Ten favorite movies. The final five minutes of that movie...

That's all you need.

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> Mia Farrow is one of the great actors of our time, and one who is often dismissed/ignored because of tabloid interest in her personal life ---- and perhaps overlooked because of the understated approach she has always approached her roles with. High time everyone looks at her work as an actor.

>

While I agree that Farrow could be sort of interesting on occasion, I would not really consider her one of the great actors of our time. She wasn't really working all that much until she hooked up with Allen and hasn't been given great showcases by other directors to convince me that she's been dismissed or ignored. Plus, she's always been on the kooky side, even before Allen. Not that there's anything wrong with being a little eccentric. I'm old enough to remember her stint on Peyton Place (the TV show) back in the 60's and it seemed to me that she was basically known for her hair, which she promptly cut off for Rosemary's Baby, which I'll have to admit is a great film (for which I credit Polanski & the supporting cast.) And I have seen quite a few of her films so I'm not judging her based on her personal life.

helenbaby,

It's certainly true that Mia did her best film work under Woody Allen, and under Polanski. And I'd agree that she hasn't shined as brightly under other directors. I'm a little too young to have seen *Peyton Place* , but I doubt she clinched the Emmy Award there.

I just think that her work with Woody is magical, and is oft-overlooked as people credit him. She deserves equal credit for the success of some of those films. My God, watch her in *Husbands and Wives* .

And not to bang the same drum endlessly, but: *The Purple Rose of Cairo* .

(And helenbaby, remember my deep fondness for Liza Minnelli. Mia doesn't even hit the scale for "kooky" on my block).

• 3 weeks later...

I think Allen did his best work when Mia was his star. HIS LOSS! Would love to see Secret Ceremony with Mia and Liz. I'm sure Mia would love to forget that one, but I've never seen it. LOL. I also agree she's underrated. (Alice and Purple Rose of Cairo are among my favs. Also Broadway Danny Rose!)

Edited by: Hibi on Sep 23, 2009 1:24 PM

I really liked her in Alice and The Purple Rose of Cairo. I'm a big Alice fan, since it was one of the first Woody Allen movies I got to see in a theater during its initial release, and I loved that she carried the picture without Woody acting in it.

I'd have liked it if they could have included John & Mary, too, but at least that one is on DVD.

Good discussion of Mia Farrow. Like Hibi, I'm a fan of BROADWAY DANNY ROSE. At first you may not recognize Mia. She's fun in a much more extroverted role than usual. You can also arrange an interesting double feature for yourself of HANNAH AND HER SISTERS and HUSBANDS AND WIVES. Mia essentially plays the same character, but in the first film Woody was in love with Mia. In the second, made just before the split, he portrays her as passive-agressive, sly and manipulative. What's changed is Woody's view of her.

I've just ordered JOHN AND MARY from Netflix. Never seen the whole thing. I must side with the negative on ALICE. One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Not funny. Not thought provoking. Not worth two hours of my time. "Danny Rose" is a tremendous little comedy. With a dark edge that plays well. HANNAH AND HER SISTERS one of Woody's best efforts. ALICE? Thank God she doesn't live here anymore!

LOL. There must be some Alice lovers on here. It's not his best but certainly better than some other of his Mia collaborations like September and Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy. Another Woman was a lesser effort also..........I'll defend Alice to the death!