Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Remembers 2020


Recommended Posts

  • mr6666 changed the title to TCM Remembers 2020

I gave my notes about the tribute on another thread, but I'll paraphrase them here as well.

Olivia got the last spot, she deserved it.

Robert Conrad and songwriter Adam Schlesinger, who wrote the Oscar nominated song "That Thing You Do!" were left out. I didn't like the song chosen for the tribute. "Name" by the Goo Goo Dolls or "Show Me The Meaning of Being Lonely" by the Backstreet Boys would've been better song choices.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

TCM did a really nice job this year.  I did think there were several notable omissions that should have received consideration (last year, I think they had about 93 people and the video was about 15 seconds longer so there is only so much space...last year was their most complete tribute IMHO).  However, I would have liked to see...

Edd Byrnes (he did quite a number of films

Robert Conrad (as already noted)

James Lipton (who did all of those interviews on Inside the Actor's Studio)

Linda Cristal (Actress)

Gene Corman (Film Producer and brother of Roger...Cis Corman made and he didn't?  Or did I miss him in the reel?)

Claudine Auger (starred in Bond's Thunderball as the female lead...she died mid December last year and seems like she fell through the cracks)

Earl Cameron (pioneering Black Actor in the UK and was in a lot of significant films, including, ironically Thunderball)

Timothy Brown (former Footballer turned actor and one of 3 actors who were in MASH the movie...none made it in)

Richard Herd (Actor)

Taryn Power (Actress and daughter of Tyrone)

Bruce Jay Friedman (Screenwriter on movies like Splash, Stir Crazy...)

Lennie Niehaus (Film Composer and collaborator with Clint Eastwood)

Warren Berlinger (Actor; Comedian)

Kevin Conway (Actor)

Sergio Fantoni (notable Italian actor in many English-speaking films...I always liked him as Oriani in Von Ryan's Express)

No offense, I loved Alex Trebek but he does not really fit.  Kenny Rogers also could have ben nixed.  Norma Doggett made it in because of Seven Brides... but it was her only film.

Loved they gave a nod to Sonia Darrin and Martin Spellman.  They always see, to include 2-3 lesser known actors but who either starred in 'B' pictures or who appeared in classics.  Spellman was the young Beau Geste in the 1939 classic and Ms. Darrin was in The Big Sleep.

Just my thoughts.

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The omissions can be a bit mind-boggling at times, but more often than not, these memorial tributes hit the mark.  If everyone we thought should be included in the year-end salute actually were included, these things would run in the 7 to 10 minute range.  Generally speaking, the year-end 'TCM Remembers' runs about 4:30 or less, and they still pack a lot of people into them.

As for the songs selected for the tribute, there could be rights issues attached to their usage for something like this, and compensation may be a factor involved as well.  To my knowledge, the only commercially successful or recognizable song ever used for 'TCM Remembers' was Sarah McLachlan's "I Will Remember You" in 2003, which I still rate as my favorite song used by TCM in these memorials so far.  Other favorites that I enjoy watching on YouTube, even after all these years include:  2007 "Promises" by Badly Drawn Boy, 2009 "To Live Is To Fly" by Townes Van Zandt, 2013 "In The Embers" by Sleeping At Last, 2016 "Goin' Home" by Dan Auerbach, 2017 "Lead Me Into The Night" by The Cranberries, and 2018 "When The Night Is Over" by Lord Huron.

As for the question as to why TCM puts this out two weeks before year's end, all I can say is that it's tradition to do year-end reviews like this in the year that's being showcased, and that tradition encompasses many areas of society and popular culture--not just the entertainment industry (news, sports, and fashion come to mind).  Also, and I have no statistical evidence to back this up, just years of experience on my part; but I think the last week of December is one of the most un-productive work weeks, not only in the United States, but elsewhere in the world too.  The production company that puts these tributes together might not even be planning on working on stuff for the last week or two of the year and may see it as appropriate to allow their dedicated staffers to take some time off over the holidays to be with family or friends (pandemic or no pandemic).

If prominent people were to die in the waning days of the year so as not to be included in this year's salute, I for one, am perfectly fine with including the person in the following year.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, midwestan said:

As for the songs selected for the tribute, there could be rights issues attached to their usage for something like this, and compensation may be a factor involved as well.  (snipped) Sarah McLachlan's "I Will Remember You" in 2003, which I still rate as my favorite song used by TCM in these memorials so far. 

Agreed. I really liked that one, it has a kind of positive vibe to it. Some of the past songs sentiments expressed while seeing the images can make me tear up.

I despise this year's song (even though I love the poem) & had to mute it to watch the video. Can't wait until that zero energy, breathy, non melodic zombie style of "singing" goes out of fashion. What's next, a rap memorial?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Agreed. I really liked that one, it has a kind of positive vibe to it. Some of the past songs sentiments expressed while seeing the images can make me tear up.

I despise this year's song (even though I love the poem) & had to mute it to watch the video. Can't wait until that zero energy, breathy, non melodic zombie style of "singing" goes out of fashion. What's next, a rap memorial?

Disco before rap, Tiki...disco before rap!🎵  I thought it was interesting to set a Robert Frost poem to music.  After all, most songs are poems that are set to music (I think)... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, captainblood58 said:

TCM did a really nice job this year.  I did think there were several notable omissions that should have received consideration (last year, I think they had about 93 people and the video was about 15 seconds longer so there is only so much space...last year was their most complete tribute IMHO).  However, I would have liked to see...

No offense, I loved Alex Trebek but he does not really fit.  Kenny Rogers also could have ben nixed.

Trebek likely appeared in more movies and TV productions than some of the others who made the list.

See the source image

Ditto Kenny Rogers.

Kenny Rogers Was A Big Part Of Pop Culture And Deserved Much Better

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Agreed. I really liked that one, it has a kind of positive vibe to it. Some of the past songs sentiments expressed while seeing the images can make me tear up.

I despise this year's song (even though I love the poem) & had to mute it to watch the video. Can't wait until that zero energy, breathy, non melodic zombie style of "singing" goes out of fashion. What's next, a rap memorial?

I agree with you. I love Sarah McLachlan, so having "I Will Remember You" for the 2003 tribute was the perfect choice.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who didn't like the song choice. If you have a chance, listen to the Backstreet Boys song "Show Me The Meaning of Being Lonely" I posted in another post on this thread. It's a powerful song, and I especially like the lyric "Life goes on as it never ends." It would've been a better song choice, and you'll get what I mean after you hear it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, captainblood58 said:

TCM did a really nice job this year.  I did think there were several notable omissions that should have received consideration (last year, I think they had about 93 people and the video was about 15 seconds longer so there is only so much space...last year was their most complete tribute IMHO).  However, I would have liked to see...

Edd Byrnes (he did quite a number of films

Robert Conrad (as already noted)

James Lipton (who did all of those interviews on Inside the Actor's Studio)

Linda Cristal (Actress)

Gene Corman (Film Producer and brother of Roger...Cis Corman made and he didn't?  Or did I miss him in the reel?)

Claudine Auger (starred in Bond's Thunderball as the female lead...she died mid December last year and seems like she fell through the cracks)

Earl Cameron (pioneering Black Actor in the UK and was in a lot of significant films, including, ironically Thunderball)

Timothy Brown (former Footballer turned actor and one of 3 actors who were in MASH the movie...none made it in)

Richard Herd (Actor)

Taryn Power (Actress and daughter of Tyrone)

Bruce Jay Friedman (Screenwriter on movies like Splash, Stir Crazy...)

Lennie Niehaus (Film Composer and collaborator with Clint Eastwood)

Warren Berlinger (Actor; Comedian)

Kevin Conway (Actor)

Sergio Fantoni (notable Italian actor in many English-speaking films...I always liked him as Oriani in Von Ryan's Express)

No offense, I loved Alex Trebek but he does not really fit.  Kenny Rogers also could have ben nixed.  Norma Doggett made it in because of Seven Brides... but it was her only film.

Loved they gave a nod to Sonia Darrin and Martin Spellman.  They always see, to include 2-3 lesser known actors but who either starred in 'B' pictures or who appeared in classics.  Spellman was the young Beau Geste in the 1939 classic and Ms. Darrin was in The Big Sleep.

Just my thoughts.

That's a long list! I agree about Trebek. Cant believe Fantoni and Berlinger were excluded also. Hadn't even heard Claudine Auger had died. Domino!

Link to post
Share on other sites

People tend to forget about Michael Hall when his character disappears without explanation from The Best Years of Our Lives. TCM has corrected that to a degree by not forgetting about the actor when he died. I believe he's the last cast member of that William Wyler classic to leave us.

As a kid who looked forward to the further adventures of Jim West every Friday night back in the late '60s, I join those who wish that Robert Conrad had been remembered.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TomJH said:

People tend to forget about Michael Hall when his character disappears without explanation from The Best Years of Our Lives. TCM has corrected that to a degree by not forgetting about the actor when he died. I believe he's the last cast member of that William Wyler classic to leave us.

As a kid who looked forward to the further adventures of Jim West every Friday night back in the late '60s, I join those who wish that Robert Conrad had been remembered.

Agree with both points.  When you compare the number of theatrical films made by Hall and Conrad, they're not that different.   Conrad was certainly better known.

As to that western from the 1960s, one of my earliest TV memories is from that show.  My Dad watched it every Friday.  I would watch the cold open and the animated intro, and then go off and do something else.  I was only 5 when it went off the air.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Agree with both points.  When you compare the number of theatrical films made by Hall and Conrad, they're not that different.   Conrad was certainly better known.

As to that western from the 1960s, one of my earliest TV memories is from that show.  My Dad watched it every Friday.  I would watch the cold open and the animated intro, and then go off and do something else.  I was only 5 when it went off the air.

Your Dad's taste in shows was the same as mine, at least in this case. These opening credits from The Wild Wild West are a real nostalgia trip for me.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Your Dad's taste in shows was the same as mine, at least in this case. These opening credits from The Wild Wild West are a real nostalgia trip for me.

 

Probably so, re: taste in programs.  It was just a bit too mature for me when it was on its primetime run (even though CBS had it on at 7:30E/6:30C.  I always did like the intro and theme song.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

Pleased they remembered PAULA KELLY and  LINDA MANZ who didn't get much press when they died. But DIANA RIGG sure zoomed by fast. And why Alex Trebek? And WHY do they make these video with two weeks to go before 2021?

If they could have added Alex, they also could have added Regis.  David Lander, although more known for TV than movies, should have been added also.  But hey, they had Alex & a Broadway actress.

Lori

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Your Dad's taste in shows was the same as mine, at least in this case. These opening credits from The Wild Wild West are a real nostalgia trip for me.

 

I looove "Wild Wild West".  I watched the reruns in the 90s with my dad.  Now I have the DVD box set.

Lori

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent a portion of my afternoon looking over some of the other years' remembrances, and it really is striking the array of talent that is lost each year.  And some of those who are deceased passed away so long ago that it really is stunning so much time has passed.  Has it really been 17 years that John Ritter's been dead?  Seems like it just happened a couple of years ago!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I spent a portion of my afternoon looking over some of the other years' remembrances, and it really is striking the array of talent that is lost each year.  And some of those who are deceased passed away so long ago that it really is stunning so much time has passed.  Has it really been 17 years that John Ritter's been dead?  Seems like it just happened a couple of years ago!

I think that way on Davy Jones.  Has it really been almost 9 years?

Lori  :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...