Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Remembers 2020

On 12/16/2020 at 8:59 PM, captainblood58 said:

TCM did a really nice job this year.  I did think there were several notable omissions that should have received consideration (last year, I think they had about 93 people and the video was about 15 seconds longer so there is only so much space...last year was their most complete tribute IMHO).  However, I would have liked to see...

Edd Byrnes (he did quite a number of films

Robert Conrad (as already noted)

James Lipton (who did all of those interviews on Inside the Actor's Studio)

Linda Cristal (Actress)

Gene Corman (Film Producer and brother of Roger...Cis Corman made and he didn't?  Or did I miss him in the reel?)

Claudine Auger (starred in Bond's Thunderball as the female lead...she died mid December last year and seems like she fell through the cracks)

Earl Cameron (pioneering Black Actor in the UK and was in a lot of significant films, including, ironically Thunderball)

Timothy Brown (former Footballer turned actor and one of 3 actors who were in MASH the movie...none made it in)

Richard Herd (Actor)

Taryn Power (Actress and daughter of Tyrone)

Bruce Jay Friedman (Screenwriter on movies like Splash, Stir Crazy...)

Lennie Niehaus (Film Composer and collaborator with Clint Eastwood)

Warren Berlinger (Actor; Comedian)

Kevin Conway (Actor)

Sergio Fantoni (notable Italian actor in many English-speaking films...I always liked him as Oriani in Von Ryan's Express)

No offense, I loved Alex Trebek but he does not really fit.  Kenny Rogers also could have ben nixed.  Norma Doggett made it in because of Seven Brides... but it was her only film.

Loved they gave a nod to Sonia Darrin and Martin Spellman.  They always see, to include 2-3 lesser known actors but who either starred in 'B' pictures or who appeared in classics.  Spellman was the young Beau Geste in the 1939 classic and Ms. Darrin was in The Big Sleep.

Just my thoughts.

I Would Also Add to that List.. Seemingly Void from the List ...of Let Us Not Forgets, + Gone.. But NEVER Forgotten ..

_

The Virginian.

Calamity Jane. (One of 'Em,.

along with Steve Trevor ..

Were (also) Seemingly Missing.

_

Id Also Like to take a minute.. ...though it appears She Did Pass away.. last year as well,.

Id also Like to .. ... Give a .. ...Memorium Shout Out to Madam Phyllis Newman..

🙏

Who..

... Incedently..

- Had a DELIGHTFUL Cameo.. ...Alongside the Chiseled.. ...Smart Looks and Brains of James West and Jim Gordon..

1 minute ago, Aritosthenes said:

I Would Also Add to that List.. Seemingly Void from the List ...of Let Us Not Forgets, + Gone.. But NEVER Forgotten ..

_

The Virginian.

_

Id Also Like to take a minute.. ...though it appears She Did Pass away.. last year as well,.

Id also Like to .. ... Give a .. ...Memorium Shout Out to Madam Phyllis Newman..

🙏

Who..

... Incedently..

- Had a DELIGHTFUL Cameo.. ...Alongside the Chiseled.. ...Smart Looks and Brains of James West and Artemus Gordon..

8 hours ago, TomJH said:

Your Dad's taste in shows was the same as mine, at least in this case. These opening credits from The Wild Wild West are a real nostalgia trip for me.

(Freaking) LOVE., That Show.

🎩💎🐎👙🚂🚃🎆🎇

_

Others Mightnt agree on this point .. ... but i give it +> than 007s..

6 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

I looove "Wild Wild West".  I watched the reruns in the 90s with my dad.  Now I have the DVD box set.

Lori

ADORE.. That Show,.

💎🎩🚃🚂🐎👙🍺🍻🥂🎇🎆

Along with Sense8.

Dark.

Archer.

Happy!

White Lines,.

and Maniac..,

..Rounds Out ThisOnes FAV Shows.. ...ALL- --Time ..

_

Others Mightnt Not Agree but .. ...i give it (WWW)..

... +> marks OVER 007 Fare ..

23 minutes ago, Aritosthenes said:

_

The Virginian.

_

🙏

Who..

... Incedently..

- Had a DELIGHTFUL Cameo.. ...Alongside the Chiseled.. ...Smart Looks and Brains of James West and  Artemus Gordon..

8 hours ago, Aritosthenes said:

_

The Virginian.

_

🙏

Who..

... Incedently..

- Had a DELIGHTFUL Cameo.. ...Alongside the Chiseled.. ...Smart Looks and Brains of James West and Jim Gordon..

I think you meant to write Artemus Gordon!!!

• Thanks 1

This year's "TCM Remembers" marks a departure from the poignant tributes of past years in one disconcerting tribute.  Sean Connery -- a remarkable actor and human being -- has his entire body of work reduced to a snide jab at his inimitable portrayal of "Bond -- James Bond" -- agent 007. The superb Honor Blackman is the foil, using a snippet from her character as the sexy and not-to-be-messed-with **** Galore from the 1964 James Bond film, "Goldfinger," when she says to Bond (Connery), "You can turn off the charm now" (followed by an "atta girl" in the next frame).

TCM could and should do better than to carelessly use what is supposed to be a touching tribute to every departed artist as an opportunity to make a feminist statement -- circa 2020 -- about an iconic film character who packed box offices back in the 1960s -- and still is today.

On 12/18/2020 at 9:15 AM, fxreyman said:

I think you meant to write Artemus Gordon!!!

Me and my edit brush.. MnyTimes DONT.

See Eye.. to Roster Cogburn Eye ..

😶😑😑😑😑🙄😑🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️

On 12/19/2020 at 8:54 AM, RealClassic said:

This year's "TCM Remembers" marks a departure from the poignant tributes of past years in one disconcerting tribute.  Sean Connery -- a remarkable actor and human being -- has his entire body of work reduced to a snide jab at his inimitable portrayal of "Bond -- James Bond" -- agent 007. The superb Honor Blackman is the foil, using a snippet from her character as the sexy and not-to-be-messed-with **** Galore from the 1964 James Bond film, "Goldfinger," when she says to Bond (Connery), "You can turn off the charm now" (followed by an "atta girl" in the next frame).

TCM could and should do better than to carelessly use what is supposed to be a touching tribute to every departed artist as an opportunity to make a feminist statement -- circa 2020 -- about an iconic film character who packed box offices back in the 1960s -- and still is today.

I understand your frustration. I am sure that since both Connery and Blackman died this year it made sense to combine the two together. To many fans Goldfinger was and still is regarded as the ultimate James Bond film. Perfect villain, beautiful yet intelligent women, and a great story. But here is the ultimate problem... There is only so much time available to showcase each and every person TCM wants to recognize. They showed 81 people in this tribute, and in some years it has been slightly more and slightly less. Many fellow message board members have indicated that they would love to see an extended year-end tribute possibly running 7 to 10 minutes long. And with this they could expand certain performer's slides or images. But there are probably several reasons why they keep it as short as they do.

As far as your reference to the three scenes they show of Connery, two are from Goldfinger. The first one is one with him in a beard. I did a search, but could not really find a movie from which he had this particular look. And just to be clear, Kirk Douglas was as big of a star as Connery, but he only had two images. They both have 94 acting credits, however, Kirk had 30 producing credits, which was 20 more than Connery had.

• Like 3

Connery actually appeared bearded in many of his films, including Zardoz, The Wind and the Lion, The Man Who Would Be King, Robin and Marian, The First Great Train Robbery, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and The Hunt for Red October to name more than a few. It really was his look from about 1975 on after he lost his hair.

But the point that I am trying to make is that TCM of late is getting too political in both their choice of films -- many which simply just are not REAL CLASSICS -- and their deliberate foray into constructing a narrative -- circa 2020 -- about great films and stars from the golden era of American cinema that they now feel the need to shame as reactionary, discriminatory, not diverse enough, etc.

It's boring and offensive. I don't need to be "re-educated" and now TCM is becoming yet another venue of cultural re-programming instead of the great network that I have been tuning into for decades to ESCAPE into the wonderful CLASSIC films of the past. TCM -- please practice your diversity initiatives elsewhere, thank you.

On 12/17/2020 at 7:23 PM, Lori Ann said:

I think that way on Davy Jones.  Has it really been almost 9 years?

And wasn't Peter Tork this year, too?  (Or was that '19, and this Pandemic year flew by faster than usual?)

And although it was probably mentioned at the time, and got lost in a sea of other character-actor obit threads, it wasn't until the TCM Remembers that I'd found out we'd lost Carol Arthur:
"Isn't anybody gonna help that poor man?"

03e266e0-1db4-11eb-bbd7-bc55d32a01bf

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

And wasn't Peter Tork this year, too?  (Or was that '19, and this Pandemic year flew by faster than usual?)

And although it was probably mentioned at the time, and got lost in a sea of other character-actor obit threads, it wasn't until the TCM Remembers that I'd found out we'd lost Carol Arthur:
"Isn't anybody gonna help that poor man?"

03e266e0-1db4-11eb-bbd7-bc55d32a01bf

Peter Tork passed away last year, about a week after his 77th birthday  :(

I saw him in concert once (with Davy & Micky) in 2001.

Lori

44 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Just watched Trebek's last Jeopardy.  Rather fitting that his final Final Jeopardy question was "Who is Billy Wilder?"

That episode was from 2009. The original plan was to air his final taping today, but there were second thoughts. This week and next will feature some repeats that show Alex at various locales around the world. His last episodes will be shown the week of January 4th.

15 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

That episode was from 2009. The original plan was to air his final taping today, but there were second thoughts. This week and next will feature some repeats that show Alex at various locales around the world. His last episodes will be shown the week of January 4th.

Thanks for the clarification.  I was going by earlier reports that his last broadcast would air today.   They did have a dedication blurb at the end of the episode, which made me think it was truly the last one.  I didn't think to check for the copyright notice on the credit scroll.

5 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I was going by earlier reports that his last broadcast would air today.   They did have a dedication blurb at the end of the episode, which made me think it was truly the last one.  I didn't think to check for the copyright notice on the credit scroll.

I tuned in Monday or Tuesday, expecting new stuff, and noticed the older set, then learned of the change in plans. I think they made the right decision. The last taping is said to feature a message from Alex about unity. Should be very moving. 

1 minute ago, LuckyDan said:

I tuned in Monday or Tuesday, expecting new stuff, and noticed the older set, then learned of the change in plans. I think they made the right decision. The last taping is said to feature a message from Alex about unity. Should be very moving. 

As you can tell, I'm no longer a regular viewer, as I didn't notice an older set.  I used to watch it every day, but lost interest some years ago.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Flew by???

When nothing happens, you lose track--How was that nice long summer, everyone?  😔

Just last week, I had to make an emergency Christmas run for shopping, and flashed back to last year, when I was hitting the groceries on Christmas Eve one hour before closing, and enjoying the bustling-shopper rush, while still hoping I wouldn't be locked out.  And then I realized I was remembering something that happened exactly ONE YEAR ago as if it was two months.

Another reason why 2020 was the Year That Didn't Count.

The updated version added 3 people who recently passed:  British Actor Jeremy Bulloch who played Boba Fett in the Star Wars films; Art Director Peter Lamont who worked on most of the Bond films; and the British Actress Barbara Windsor.  Kudos to TCM for taking the time to add these notables.