Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Winter Under the Stars

12 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

My favorite Fosse film performances are the dance numbers "Who's Got The Pain" with Gwen Verdon from DAMN YANKEES,  his short sequence with Carol Haney in "From This Moment On" from KISS ME KATE, and two numbers from MY SISTER EILEEN: "Give Me A Band And My Baby" with Tommy Rall, Janet Leigh and Betty Garrett, and the spectacular dance challenge between Fosse and Rall.

His "Snake In The Grass" number from THE LITTLE PRINCE was the first time I saw him dancing when I was a kid.

Yeah, that's fun. I'd forgotten he was in MY SISTER EILEEN (1955). 

Our eighth villain or villainess is 

LIZABETH SCOTT

She caused trouble in DEAD RECKONING (1947).

SCREEN.jpeg

She led Dick Powell astray in PITFALL (1948).

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 7.13.41 AM

And she helped us realize it was TOO LATE FOR TEARS (1949).

Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 12.18.17 PM.png

• Like 1

I have to admit the only thing I know about Guy Madison is that he was married to Gail Russell for a short while. Nice face, though.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I have to admit the only thing I know about Guy Madison is that he was married to Gail Russell for a short while. Nice face, though.

That's right...I'd forgotten he was married to her. 

Here's a photo of him in the western BULLWHIP (1958) with Rhonda Fleming. It may be viewed on Hulu:

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 2.49.22 PM 2

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Guy Madison was in a few very good production but only as a supporting actor.    For me his best lead roles are in Till The End of Time (with Mitchum and Dorothy McGuire ),  and 5 Against The House with Kim Novak and Brian Keith.    He was in a handful of westerns and other films,  but frankly I don't recall any of them,  except Bullwhip but that was more for Rhonda Fleming.

He did go to Europe where he had a bigger career in Italian adventure films. 

As for his looks;   When I first saw him I felt for sure he was the brother of the Professor from Gilligan's Island.   

• Like 2

As James said, Guy Madison had hit films across different genres. As with so many actors of his generation he transitioned to television in the 50s but still found starring roles in westerns since they were all the rage at the time.

Some that are worth watching (usually they turn up on Starz/Encore):

THE CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER (1953) a Warner Brothers western that TCM sometimes plays
THE COMMAND (1954) also from Warner Brothers
THE LAST FRONTIER (1955) with Anne Bancroft, plus Robert Preston who plays the villain
REPRISAL! (1956) a decent Columbia western
THE HARD MAN (1957) formulaic but good, Lorne Greene is the villain
BULLWHIP (1958) already mentioned

Guy Madison was also in DRUMS OF THE DEEP SOUTH (1951) a Civil War film that feels like a western. It's in the public domain and easy to find online.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 5.15.28 AM

• Thanks 1

Our eighth character actor or actress is 

FAY BAINTER

She played Priscilla Lane's mother in DAUGHTERS COURAGEOUS (1938).

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.28.36 AM

She earned an Oscar for her supporting work in JEZEBEL (1938).

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.17.53 AM

She was lovely in WOMAN OF THE YEAR (1942).

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 8.13.39 AM.jpg

There was a starring role in THE WAR AGAINST MRS. HADLEY (1942).

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.21.53 AM

And she helped Danny Kaye keep his eyes on the road in THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY (1947).

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.31.17 AM

• Like 4

Fay Bainter always gave a good performance and added something to the films she was in regardless of the size of the role.   One interesting film she did for Columbia was The Lady and the Mob with Ida Lupino (right before she signed with WB).   It is humorous crime film and a fun romp.

And of course she ended her film career on a very high note in The Children's Hour,  being nominated for Best Support Actress.   (23 years after her prior nomination in Jezebel).

The Lady and the Mob poster.jpgA half-length portrait of two women, dran in black on a pink background. One woman stands in front, looking to the side. The other woman stands behind her, with her hands placed on the arms of the woman in front. She is slightly taller than the woman in front and looks down at her face from behind. Next to the face of the woman in front reads, in white letters, "DIFFERENT...". Below the picture reads "AUDREY HEPBURN, SHIRLEY MACLAINE, JAMES GARNER". Beneath these names reads "THE CHILDREN'S HOUR", with a small sketch of a man next to the title. In a white border to the poster reads the name "WILLIAM WYLER".

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Fay Bainter always gave a good performance and added something to the films she was in regardless of the size of the role.   One interesting film she did for Columbia was The Lady and the Mob with Ida Lupino (right before she signed with WB).   It is humorous crime film and a fun romp.

And of course she ended her film career on a very high note in The Children's Hour,  being nominated for Best Support Actress.   (23 years after her prior nomination in Jezebel).

The Lady and the Mob poster.jpgA half-length portrait of two women, dran in black on a pink background. One woman stands in front, looking to the side. The other woman stands behind her, with her hands placed on the arms of the woman in front. She is slightly taller than the woman in front and looks down at her face from behind. Next to the face of the woman in front reads, in white letters, "DIFFERENT...". Below the picture reads "AUDREY HEPBURN, SHIRLEY MACLAINE, JAMES GARNER". Beneath these names reads "THE CHILDREN'S HOUR", with a small sketch of a man next to the title. In a white border to the poster reads the name "WILLIAM WYLER".

Glad you mentioned those two films, especially THE CHILDREN'S HOUR.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 10.18.02 AM

There are so many excellent Fay Bainter performances-- such as her lead role in WHITE BANNERS (1938) where she is paired with Claude Rains. She was nominated as Best Actress, the same year she was nominated and won as Supporting Actress for JEZEBEL.

I also enjoy watching her in MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW (1937) where she is cast as the ungrateful, ignorant daughter-in-law of Beulah Bondi and Victor Moore. She practically steals it from Bondi and Moore, no easy feat.

Plus we've got another carefully etched performance in THE PRESIDENT'S LADY (1953). I thought she worked very well with Susan Hayward in that one.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I also enjoy watching her in MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW (1937) where she is cast as the ungrateful, ignorant daughter-in-law of Beulah Bondi and Victor Moore. She practically steals it from Bondi and Moore, no easy feat.

Yes to this! She did steal the film from those two other wonderful character actors.

I love her in anything she appeared in. She was always so graceful and spoke so expressively. She was also terrific in CRY HAVOC, PRESENTING LILY MARS, OUR TOWN, MOTHER CAREY'S CHICKENS and WHITE BANNERS (just to name a few.:))

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

Yes to this! She did steal the film from those two other wonderful character actors.

I love her in anything she appeared in. She was always so graceful and spoke so expressively. She was also terrific in CRY HAVOC, PRESENTING LILY MARS, OUR TOWN, MOTHER CAREY'S CHICKENS and WHITE BANNERS (just to name a few.:))

Oh yes, thank you for mentioning OUR TOWN (1940). I just love that film. An incredible amazing super talented cast and she steals that one too!

She's even good in thankless roles like Bette's friend in JUNE BRIDE (1948) and as a rural mother in THE VIRGINIAN (1946).

Another one to check out is DEEP VALLEY (1947) where she gets to work with Ida Lupino again.

If you look at her filmography you can see that nearly every film she appeared in was top of the line and usually she's the best thing in them. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fay_Bainter#Filmography

• Like 2

Fay Bainter occasionally gets to play a villain, too, as in Dark Waters and especially The Shining Hour. She's also wonderful in Deep Valley as Ida Lupino's neurotic mother, as TB mentioned. All of us seem to agree that she's consistently outstanding.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Fay Bainter occasionally gets to play a villain, too, as in Dark Waters and especially The Shining Hour. She's also wonderful in Deep Valley as Ida Lupino's neurotic mother, as TB mentioned. All of us seem to agree that she's consistently outstanding.

Glad you mentioned DARK WATERS (1944). I don't think TCM's ever aired it. I had a chance to see the film when it was available for awhile on Amazon Prime about two or three years ago. I thought it was engrossing, and yeah, it was fun to see Bainter as a villainess. Still she turned in a classy performance and wisely refrained from chewing the scenery. 

While we're having this discussion, one thing I realized is how well Fay Bainter words with younger "more important" actresses. She does well with Joan Crawford & Margaret Sullavan in THE SHINING HOUR, with Bette Davis in JEZEBEL and JUNE BRIDE, with Anne Shirley & Ruby Keeler in MOTHER CAREY'S CHICKENS, with Merle Oberon in DARK WATERS, with Martha Scott in OUR TOWN, with Katharine Hepburn in QUALITY STREET and WOMAN OF THE YEAR, with Ida Lupino in THE LADY AND THE MOB and DEEP VALLEY, with Susan Hayward in THE PRESIDENT'S LADY, and with Audrey Hepburn & Shirley MacLaine in THE CHILDREN'S HOUR.  You get the idea!

Usually actresses of this sort are a bit competitive, especially when they can still snag lead roles and don't always have to play the character parts. But Bainter seems to be graceful, very professional and these younger actresses all seem to enjoy working with her.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 12.19.38 PM

• Like 2

Our eighth post-code star is 

MICHAEL DOUGLAS

He played doctor with Genevieve Bujold in COMA (1978):

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 3.47.31 PM

He covered an important story with Jane Fonda & Jack Lemmon in THE CHINA SYNDROME (1979):

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 3.45.17 PM

He got to know Kathleen Turner in ROMANCING THE STONE (1984):

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 3.46.45 PM

He defined corporate greed in WALL STREET (1987):

wall-street-1987-sheen-douglas-640x377.jpeg

And he suffered domestic violence in THE WAR OF THE ROSES (1989):

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 3.51.18 PM

• Like 2

I only knew about Dark Waters because a film noir fanatic friend recommended it. I bought the DVD and enjoyed the film. Noirish photography, set in the Louisiana bayous. Merle Oberon plays a rich heiress who goes to stay with relatives she's never met. What could possibly go wrong?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, kingrat said:

I only knew about Dark Waters because a film noir fanatic friend recommended it. I bought the DVD and enjoyed the film. Noirish photography, set in the Louisiana bayous. Merle Oberon plays a rich heiress who goes to stay with relatives she's never met. What could possibly go wrong?

This is a Merle Oberon film I would really like to see.    I wish TCM would lease it!  Show me something I haven't seen from a lovey actress I adore.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Our eighth post-code star is 

MICHAEL DOUGLAS

When I was a kid, I always watched THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO  with my dad. My mother always balked at my father for allowing me to watch all the crime (I was about 7-8 yrs old) but I really only watched for the scenery. We lived in San Jose and would visit SF every few months, and I would touch light posts and street signs as we were walking down the streets and think to myself "I wonder if they filmed TSOSF here." 😄

I think I liked him best in A CHORUS LINE.

It's amazing to think his very first film as a producer was ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

When I was a kid, I always watched THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO  with my dad. My mother always balked at my father for allowing me to watch all the crime (I was about 7-8 yrs old) but I really only watched for the scenery. We lived in San Jose and would visit SF every few months, and I would touch light posts and street signs as we were walking down the streets and think to myself "I wonder if they filmed TSOSF here." 😄

I think I liked him best in A CHORUS LINE.

It's amazing to think his very first film as a producer was ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST.

Nice story about San Jose and San Francisco. Yeah, the scenery's great.

Michael Douglas is a success story. What a career!

I've never seen A CHORUS LINE. I wonder if TCM's ever shown it.

I've never seen FALLING DOWN either, or DISCLOSURE. He had a career resurgence in the 90s, doing all those crime films after BASIC INSTINCT.

But I think my favorite Michael Douglas movie is still WAR OF THE ROSES. I read an article, this was years ago when WAR OF THE ROSES was in theaters, where the author compared Douglas & Turner to Tracy & Hepburn. I've always remembered that because I agreed and it's too bad they didn't get a chance to remake something like ADAM'S RIB.

• Like 1

People who'd never seen A Chorus Line on stage (like me) tended to like the movie, but people who had seen it on stage and felt passionately devoted to it tended not to like the movie. The Marvin Hamlisch score is strong.

• Like 2

Our eighth precode star is 

DAVID MANNERS

He was featured in DRACULA (1931).

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 1.36.53 PM

He costarred alongside Barbara Stanwyck in THE MIRACLE WOMAN (1931):

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 1.39.24 PM

And he was the love interest in Katharine Hepburn's first film, A BILL OF DIVORCEMENT (1932):

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 9.19.26 AM.jpeg

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Our eighth precode star is 

DAVID MANNERS

He was featured in DRACULA (1931).

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 1.36.53 PM

He costarred alongside Barbara Stanwyck in THE MIRACLE WOMAN (1931):

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 1.39.24 PM

And he was the love interest in Katharine Hepburn's first film, A BILL OF DIVORCEMENT (1932):

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 9.19.26 AM.jpeg

Interesting that Manners decided to retire from film acting at the age of 36 and from all acting at 53.     This from Wiki:

Following his retirement from acting, Manners spent the remaining decades of his life pursuing his personal interests, including painting, writing, and studying philosophy. His reflections on philosophy were presented in Look Through: An Evidence of Self Discovery, published in 1971 by El Cariso Publications.