Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Winter Under the Stars

2 hours ago, garovick said:

TCM never shows White Banners anymore. I think they did a long time ago. Is this because of legal issue?

Yes. It used to air on TCM fairly often and it was shown as part of 31 Days of Oscar. 

According to MovieCollector's database, it hasn't been broadcast since 2007. Most likely due to legal issues. 

Sometimes a copy surfaces on YouTube.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I love Marsha Mason, especially in the Neil Simon comedies in which she appeared. She was neurotically adorable in THE GOODBYE GIRL and I loved her in ONLY WHEN I LAUGH. I liked her as part of the ensemble cast of THE CHEAP DETECTIVE, too. On TV, she was very funny as Martin Crane's girlfriend on "Frazier" and as Patricia Heaton's hip mother on "The Middle."

I don't think I've seen much of her television work. I wish she had made more films, but the films she did make are nearly all top of the line.

AUDREY ROSE is my favorite. She's great as a conflicted woman in a psycho-spiritual drama. But as you say, she found her niche in Neil Simon comedies. She was married to Simon from 1973-83.

• Like 1

Our ninth child star is 

JOHNNY WHITAKER

He was popular on TV and in Disney movies during the late 60s and early 70s.

Example 1: SAMANTHA AND NAPOLEON (1972)

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 3.02.29 PM

Example 2: TOM SAWYER (1973)

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 7.45.00 AM

On 2/25/2021 at 3:35 PM, TopBilled said:

Our ninth post-code star is 

MARSHA MASON

She held on for dear life in CINDERELLA LIBERTY (1973):

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 4.23.55 PM

She had a reincarnated daughter in AUDREY ROSE (1977):

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 4.56.43 PM

And she became involved with Richard Dreyfuss in THE GOODBYE GIRL (1977):

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 6.45.39 AM.jpeg

I first saw Marsha Mason on Love of Life, where she played a secretary (I think) to the town's newspaper editor. They never did much with her character, and she quickly moved on to more prestigious parts.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes. It used to air on TCM fairly often and it was shown as part of 31 Days of Oscar. 

According to MovieCollector's database, it hasn't been broadcast since 2007. Most likely due to legal issues. 

Sometimes a copy surfaces on YouTube.

I thought that might be the reason. I'm pretty sure I made a copy of it on VHS from back in the early  2000's.  I hope I still have it.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Our ninth child star is 

JOHNNY WHITAKER

He and Jodie Foster were so cute in NAPOLEON AND SAMANTHA (along with a young Michael Douglas!) and I remember his character "Jody" in TV's THE FAMILY AFFAIR.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

He and Jodie Foster were so cute in NAPOLEON AND SAMANTHA (along with a young Michael Douglas!) and I remember his character "Jody" in TV's THE FAMILY AFFAIR.

These are worth seeing:

NAPOLEON AND SAMANTHA (1972)
THE BISCUIT EATER (1972)
SNOWBALL EXPRESS (1972)
MYSTERY IN DRACULA'S CASTLE (1973)
TOM SAWYER (1973)

• Like 1
19 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Our ninth child star is 

JOHNNY WHITAKER

I liked him most for his TV work, Family Affair (1966- 1971) was a great sitcom. I used to think it was bit "cutesy" but I re watched all the episodes and found it to be a bit ahead of it's time. It dealt with serious subjects like divorce, abandoned children, terminal illness and bullying.

One of my favorites of his TV roles as The Littlest Angel (1969) a musical special about a little boy who dies and goes to heaven. Fred Gwynne plays his guardian angel and EG Marshall plays God.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Devil And The Deep (1932) is worth seeing. Her co stars were Charles Laughton, Gary Cooper and Cary Grant.

The Devil and the Deep" Foto Gallery

Thanks. It's one I have not seen yet. She was a beautiful woman. I think her highly theatrical way of delivering lines was a bit too much and that is why she was not very successful on screen in the early 30s. If she'd come to Hollywood ten years earlier she probably would have been hugely successful in silent pictures.

I do enjoy some of her later films like LIFEBOAT (1944) and A ROYAL SCANDAL (1945). But those are cast with skilled costars, so although she is top billed she does not exactly dominate or carry those stories on her own.

I liked DEVIL AND THE DEEP, too. Many years ago I saw FAITHLESS with Bankhead and Robert Montgomery. I thought it was a really good depiction of the effects of The Great Depression. I don't recall seeing it on TCM, though. She did a good job of not over-acting as part of the ensemble of LIFEBOAT.

• Like 1

Bill Robinson was wonderful in all of his film performances. It's too bad his only starring role, in STORMY WEATHER, was his last in film.

Most of us have seen the dance number he performed with Shirley Temple in THE LITTLE COLONEL, but have you seen the original choreography on which it was based? According to Ms Temple herself, Mr. Robinson tried to teach her his famous stair dance, but she was having trouble with the intricate rhythm and steps (she was 7 at the time!) so he taught her a variation, which she mastered, and  he had it filmed. He then watched the film of her and matched his taps to hers so they would match. Talk about an unselfish performer!

Here is video of his famous stair dance, in its original form:

• Like 4
5 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Bill Robinson was wonderful in all of his film performances. It's too bad his only starring role, in STORMY WEATHER, was his last in film.

Most of us have seen the dance number he performed with Shirley Temple in THE LITTLE COLONEL, but have you seen the original choreography on which it was based? According to Ms Temple herself, Mr. Robinson tried to teach her his famous stair dance, but she was having trouble with the intricate rhythm and steps (she was 7 at the time!) so he taught her a variation, which she mastered, and  he had it filmed. He then watched the film of her and matched his taps to hers so they would match. Talk about an unselfish performer!

Here is video of his famous stair dance, in its original form:

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

I was eager to include Bill Robinson in this thread. TCM should at least give him a primetime spotlight.

• Like 2

OMG! I was in awe as I watched Bill Robinson in the original step dance number. He was the most adept talented tap dancer I've ever seen. Thanks so much for posting this video. I agree with "TopBilled" that he deserves a prime time spotlight. 

• Like 2

Our tenth villain or villainess is 

SIMONE SIMON

She stole James Craig away from Anne Shirley in THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER (1941).

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 6.37.34 PM

Then her claws came out in THE CAT PEOPLE (1942).

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 6.33.54 PM

• Like 2

Simone Simon was really good in THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER and the CAT PEOPLE films. I also liked her as the chambermaid in LA RONDE. She was really young but showed promise in GIRL'S DORMITORY, although at the time it was very hard to understand her English.

• Like 1

Our tenth character actor is 

GEORGE BURNS

He returned to movies with THE SUNSHINE BOYS (1975):

Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 12.10.56 PM.jpeg

Had his biggest hit with OH GOD! (1977):

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 5.16.04 PM.jpeg

And he also paired up with Brooke Shields in JUST YOU AND ME KID (1979):

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.01.38 AM

Of course, Brooke was no Gracie:

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 5.10.47 PM

• Like 1

George Burns was great in all of the films he made in older age. Another one was 1979's GOING IN STYLE.

I liked him in The Big Broadcast films, but my favorite is A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS. I love the "I've Just Begun To Live" dance with Fred Astaire, Burns and Gracie Allen.

I love this sentiment that George Burns once said of Gracie Allen after they started performing together:

"And all of a sudden, the audience realized I had a talent. They were right. I did have a talent—and I was married to her for 38 years."

• Like 2

Our tenth western star is

VERA RALSTON

The Czech-born beauty had leading roles in several 'A' westerns at Republic Pictures.

She costarred with John Wayne and Walter Brennan in DAKOTA (1945):

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.21.21 PM

She was paired with Bill Elliott in WYOMING (1947):

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 5.59.41 PM

And she joined forces with Joan Leslie out on the JUBILEE TRAIL (1954):

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.23.59 PM

• Like 1

I think the only film of Vera Ralston's I've seen is DAKOTA. I liked her charming accent.

I do know she was also an ice skater who competed in the 1936 Olympic Games. Apparently, she was approached by Hitler, who asked her if she would like to skate for the swastika. She told him she'd rather skate on the swastika. Bravo!

On 3/4/2021 at 4:48 AM, sagebrush said:

I think the only film of Vera Ralston's I've seen is DAKOTA. I liked her charming accent.

I do know she was also an ice skater who competed in the 1936 Olympic Games. Apparently, she was approached by Hitler, who asked her if she would like to skate for the swastika. She told him she'd rather skate on the swastika. Bravo!

Yes, she started as Republic's answer to Sonja Henie. But after a name change (from Vera Hruba to Vera Ralston) and a few ice skating musicals she was put into westerns, suspense dramas and horror films for the studio. I don't think she knew much English when she made her first film but she was a fast learner.

Every account I've read about her from former costars, directors and crew-- they've all been very flattering, positive comments. She was highly regarded by everyone that worked at Republic. She was a rare example of an actress who lacked ego and just wanted to do her best. Her genuinely kind personality comes through on screen, even when she's cast as a temptress.

• Like 1

Our tenth post-code star is

GEORGE SEGAL

He was always charming, whether in dramas or comedies.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 11.03.44 AM

And a bit edgy if the film called for it.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 11.05.12 AM

What's your favorite George Segal performance?

Do you like FUN WITH DICK AND JANE (1977)..?

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 11.06.42 AM