Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Winter Under the Stars

3 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The Jewish cop in No Way To Treat A Lady (1968)

Lost Classic: No Way to Treat a Lady (Jack Smight 1968) | The Big Picture  Magazine

Good choice Yeah, why doesn't TCM ever air this gem? Amazing group of performers, in an edgy/"fun" story.

• Like 1

I liked George Segal in SHIP OF FOOLS and WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? In both films he  is a  fine supporting performer.

• Like 1

Our tenth child star is 

SYBIL JASON

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 3.55.32 PM

She played Kay Francis' daughter in I FOUND STELLA PARISH (1935):

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 3.52.53 PM 2

She hit the road with Robert Armstrong in LITTLE BIG SHOT (1935);

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 3.54.25 PM 2

And she was looked after by Guy Kibbee in THE CAPTAIN'S KID (1936):

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 3.52.11 PM

• Like 1

Sybil Jason was very cute opposite Shirley Temple in two films, THE LITTLE PRINCESS and THE BLUE BIRD. I thought her Becky character in THE LITTLE PRINCESS was very charming. The two girls worked well together. I also liked her in THE GREAT O'MALLEY with Humphrey Bogart and Pat O'Brien.

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

Sybil Jason was very cute opposite Shirley Temple in two films, THE LITTLE PRINCESS and THE BLUE BIRD. I thought her Becky character in THE LITTLE PRINCESS was very charming. The two girls worked well together. I also liked her in THE GREAT O'MALLEY with Humphrey Bogart and Pat O'Brien.

Yes, THE GREAT O'MALLEY is another winner. Ann Sheridan also has a role in it.

Our tenth precode star is 

JOHN BOLES

He was in SEED (1931) with Bette Davis.

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 3.33.22 PM

He was in CHILD OF MANHATTAN (1933) with Nancy Carroll.

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 3.41.57 PM

He was in THE AGE OF INNOCENCE (1934) with Irene Dunne.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 11.05.02 AM

And he was in BELOVED (1934) with Gloria Stuart.

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 3.38.53 PM

• Like 1
On 3/5/2021 at 10:12 AM, TopBilled said:

Our tenth post-code star is

GEORGE SEGAL

He was always charming, whether in dramas or comedies.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 11.03.44 AM

And a bit edgy if the film called for it.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 11.05.12 AM

What's your favorite George Segal performance?

Do you like FUN WITH DICK AND JANE (1977)..?

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 11.06.42 AM

Hm, my favorite George Segal performance . . . Let's see . . . maybe it's one where has the title role . . . what was the name of the film . . . I think James Fox was in it, too . . . oh, that's right . . . KING RAT.

George Segal is one of those interesting actors who's basically a character actor but can do romantic leads. After he wasn't being offered romantic leads any more, he could transition to being purely a character actor.  He would have been a deserving Oscar winner for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Hm, my favorite George Segal performance . . . Let's see . . . maybe it's one where has the title role . . . what was the name of the film . . . I think James Fox was in it, too . . . oh, that's right . . . KING RAT.

George Segal is one of those interesting actors who's basically a character actor but can do romantic leads. After he wasn't being offered romantic leads any more, he could transition to being purely a character actor.  He would have been a deserving Oscar winner for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Yes, it's time for TCM to do some sort of spotlight/tribute for him. 

My first exposure to his acting was watching him on the NBC sitcom Just Shoot Me! As you indicated, he is a fine character actor (but has the looks of a romantic lead).

• Like 1

One of the other really useful things about George Segal is that he always reads as "New Yorker" but in a way that appeals to people from other parts of the country. Some actors do "New York obnoxious" really well, but Segal can, if the part calls for it, play the sophistication and smarts of the New Yorker without losing a certain edge. King Rat leans more to the sharper edge, but Segal brings just enough attractiveness to make Corporal King even more successful and more dangerous. Offhand, I can't think of another actor quite like him, but there would probably always be roles that a "George Segal type" could play.

• Like 2
On 3/7/2021 at 2:48 PM, TopBilled said:

Our tenth precode star is 

JOHN BOLES

I thought Mr Boles was also good in another pairing with Irene Dunne, BACKSTREET.  I also liked him in FRANKENSTEIN and he was so patient in STELLA DALLAS and also two pairings with Shirley Temple, CURLY TOP and THE LITTLEST REBEL. He made some early sound-era musicals which I've never seen but would love to hear his singing voice.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sagebrush said:

I thought Mr Boles was also good in another pairing with Irene Dunne, BACKSTREET.  I also liked him in FRANKENSTEIN and he was so patient in STELLA DALLAS and also two pairings with Shirley Temple, CURLY TOP and THE LITTLEST REBEL. He made some early sound-era musicals which I've never seen but would love to hear his singing voice.

Yes, he was one of the more adaptable performers that appeared on screen when talkies began. He was perfect in all those idealized romantic roles.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Our eleventh musical star is 

MITZI GAYNOR

Mitzi Gaynor is (in my opinion) one of the most underrated musical performers from the second half of the 20th Century. That also might be the exact problem; she was just getting her feet wet at Fox in the early 1950's, when they were putting most of their $$ into Marilyn Monroe. A beautiful triple threat performer, she finally hit the jackpot with SOUTH PACIFIC and LES GIRLS. By then, the golden age of musicals were starting to wane. She had a great career in TV specials and nightclubs, though.

I liked her from the very first time I saw her dance in MY BLUE HEAVEN and BLOODHOUNDS OF BROADWAY.  I would love to see ANYTHING GOES with Bing Crosby, Donald O'Conner and Ms Gaynor.

if-only-those-legs-could-talk.jpg

• Like 1
18 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Mitzi Gaynor is (in my opinion) one of the most underrated musical performers from the second half of the 20th Century. That also might be the exact problem; she was just getting her feet wet at Fox in the early 1950's, when they were putting most of their $$ into Marilyn Monroe. A beautiful triple threat performer, she finally hit the jackpot with SOUTH PACIFIC and LES GIRLS. By then, the golden age of musicals were starting to wane. She had a great career in TV specials and nightclubs, though.

I liked her from the very first time I saw her dance in MY BLUE HEAVEN and BLOODHOUNDS OF BROADWAY.  I would love to see ANYTHING GOES with Bing Crosby, Donald O'Conner and Ms Gaynor.

if-only-those-legs-could-talk.jpg

Great post, great photo!

Our eleventh villain is 

RAYMOND BURR

He was out to get Dick Powell in PITFALL (1948).

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 1.45.26 PM

He was even more ruthless in RED LIGHT (1949).

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 1.44.32 PM

And he was the evil grand vizier in THE MAGIC CARPET (1951).

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 1.40.22 PM

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

More or less than his performance in Raw Deal?

MV5BMDlmNmIxNWYtMDQ3NC00YmYxLWIxNjEtZTJh

Yeah, that's another one. During those early years of his career, Raymond Burr was doing roles that Laird Cregar would have done if Cregar hadn't died.

He was excellent in noir and in suspense films like REAR WINDOW.

Raymond Burr was perfect for Film Noirs. I liked him in CRIME OF PASSION, HIS KIND OF WOMAN and THE BLUE GARDENIA. He is so memorable in REAR WINDOW although he has no lines until the last part of the film.

I used to watch reruns of PERRY MASON and IRONSIDE  on a basic cable channel, back when basic cable was more than just reality shows.

• Like 1

Interestingly he became typecast as a 'good guy' because of Perry Mason and Ironside. But after those shows ended, he started playing a wider range of characters again. He is a great villain in the late 70s miniseries Centennial.

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Our eleventh character actor or actress is 

JANE DARWELL

She was Ma James.

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 6.27.36 PM

And Ma Joad.

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 8.57.09 PM.jpeg

Or in The Ox-Bow Incident, playing the exact opposite of Ma Joad. She also has smaller roles in a lot of films where you always notice her when she's on screen.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, kingrat said:

Or in The Ox-Bow Incident, playing the exact opposite of Ma Joad. She also has smaller roles in a lot of films where you always notice her when she's on screen.

She was also quite good in THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER.

An excellent lesbian actress.

Our eleventh western star is 

DALE ROBERTSON

His first few oaters were indy productions supporting Randolph Scott.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 3.18.55 PM

But then he signed with 20th Century Fox and played leads in THE OUTCASTS OF POKER FLAT (1952), RETURN OF THE TEXAN (1952) and THE SILVER WHIP (1953).

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 3.23.04 PM

Of course he found lasting fame on the weekly television series Tales of Wells Fargo.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 3.18.09 PM

• Like 1
21 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Our eleventh character actor or actress is 

JANE DARWELL

Since Ms Darwell was a 20th Century Fox contract player, I think I've spotted her in just about all of Shirley Temple's films!

It's hard to imagine anyone but Darwell as Ma Joad in THE GRAPES OF WRATH. As was already mentioned, she was also fantastic in THE OX BOW INCIDENT and THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER. Some other films I liked her in were THE LEMON DROP KID, MY DARLING CLEMENTINE, ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT, and of course as the Bird Lady in MARY POPPINS.

• Like 1