Find results in...

Winter Under the Stars

Our twelfth child star is

BONITA GRANVILLE

She was a BELOVED BRAT (1938) you see.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.13.09 PM

Who spoke to Margaret Hamilton.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.14.14 PM 2

And caused trouble for THESE THREE (1936).

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.15.32 PM

Why she said the things she said I haven't a clue.

And neither does NANCY DREW.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.10.08 PM

On 3/19/2021 at 7:56 AM, TopBilled said:

Our twelfth post-code star is

JAMES CAAN

I thought he was great in THIEF with Tuesday Weld and FOR THE BOYS with Bette Midler, but I have to say I liked him best in ELF! :D

• Like 1
18 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Our twelfth child star is

BONITA GRANVILLE

Ah, boy did I want to slap Ms Granville's character in THESE THREE! She was also good in NOW, VOYAGER and HITLER'S CHILDREN.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I thought he was great in THIEF with Tuesday Weld and FOR THE BOYS with Bette Midler, but I have to say I liked him best in ELF! :D

I forgot he was in ELF. Thanks for the reminder!

34 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Ah, boy did I want to slap Ms Granville's character in THESE THREE! She was also good in NOW, VOYAGER and HITLER'S CHILDREN.

A great child actress and teen star. 

Our twelfth pre-code star is

PAT O'BRIEN

He had a CONSOLATION MARRIAGE (1931) with Irene Dunne:

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 1.56.13 PM

He married Carole Lombard in VIRTUE (1932):

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 1.57.43 PM

And he stayed at HELL'S HOUSE (1932) with Bette Davis:

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 2.04.45 PM

• Like 3

Well that wraps up Winter Under the Stars.

Thanks to everyone who read and chimed in.

It was fun focusing on some neglected performers.

Group 1

SONJA HENIE, DAN DURYEA, EVE ARDEN, AUDIE MURPHY, SALLY FIELD, BOBBY DRISCOLL, HELEN TWELVETREES

Group 2

GEORGE MURPHY, MARIE WINDSOR, EDMUND GWENN, YVONNE DE CARLO, DONALD SUTHERLAND, PEGGY ANN GARNER, RICHARD BARTHELMESS

Group 3

DEANNA DURBIN, JACK PALANCE, MARIA OUSPENSKAYA, GEORGE MONTGOMERY, SANDY DENNIS, DEAN STOCKWELL, GLORIA STUART

Group 4

GORDON MACRAE, GALE SONDERGAARD, SYDNEY GREENSTREET, BARBARA HALE, JACK NICHOLSON, VIRGINIA WEIDLER, RICARDO CORTEZ

Group 5

ALICE FAYE, ZACHARY SCOTT, AGNES MOOREHEAD, RORY CALHOUN, KAREN BLACK, CLAUDE JARMAN, RUTH CHATTERTON

Group 6

DONALD O'CONNOR, JUDITH ANDERSON, CHARLEY GRAPEWIN, DALE EVANS, BURT REYNOLDS, PATTY DUKE, GENE RAYMOND

Group 7

MARY MARTIN, LYLE BETTGER, MAY WHITTY, WILLIAM S. HART, DIANE KEATON, JON WHITELEY, FRANCES DEE

Group 8

BOB FOSSE, LIZABETH SCOTT, GUY MADISON, FAY BAINTER, MICHAEL DOUGLAS, JANE WITHERS, DAVID MANNERS

Group 9

BETTY HUTTON, LAIRD CREGAR, JULIE ADAMS, W.C. FIELDS, MARSHA MASON, JOHNNY WHITAKER, TALLULAH BANKHEAD

Group 10

BILL ROBINSON, SIMONE SIMON, GEORGE BURNS, VERA RALSTON, GEORGE SEGAL, SYBIL JASON, JOHN BOLES

Group 11

MITZI GAYNOR, RAYMOND BURR, JANE DARWELL, DALE ROBERTSON, CANDICE BERGEN, SAL MINEO, BEBE DANIELS

Group 12

DANNY KAYE, ANN SAVAGE, BARRY FITZGERALD, VERA MILES, JAMES CAAN, BONITA GRANVILLE, PAT O'BRIEN

• Like 2
23 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Our twelfth pre-code star is

PAT O'BRIEN

The films of Pat O'Brien I enjoy most seem to be the ones in which his co-star is another man!He played great opposite James Cagney and Dick Powell in all their films together. I also liked him with Humphrey Bogart in SAN QUENTIN,  HAVING WONDERFUL CRIME with George Murphy and Carol Landis, and THE FRONT PAGE with Adolfe Menjou. Later on he was good as the police detective determined to catch gangster George Raft in SOME LIKE IT HOT.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

The films of Pat O'Brien I enjoy most seem to be the ones in which his co-star is another man!He played great opposite James Cagney and Dick Powell in all their films together. I also liked him with Humphrey Bogart in SAN QUENTIN,  HAVING WONDERFUL CRIME with George Murphy and Carol Landis, and THE FRONT PAGE with Adolfe Menjou. Later on he was good as the police detective determined to catch gangster George Raft in SOME LIKE IT HOT.

Yes, Pat O'Brien had chemistry with everyone...especially with Cagney.

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 2.07.35 PM

ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (1938)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Well that wraps up Winter Under the Stars.

Thanks for highlighting these (in many cases) lesser acknowledged actors and actresses!

• Like 1
Just now, sagebrush said:

Thanks for highlighting these (in many cases) lesser acknowledged actors and actresses!

You are most welcome.

And Happy Spring! :) 

Thanks for bringing attention to the many stars mentioned in this thread. Hopefully we will see many of them properly honored in the future.

• Like 1