Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Winter Under the Stars

Our second character actor is

EDMUND GWENN

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 1.17.12 PM

Of course he was more than just Kris Kringle in MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (1947).

He competed with Charles Coburn for Spring Byington's affections in LOUISA (1950).

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 7.16.39 PM

And he battled giant-sized bugs in THEM! (1954).

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 7.15.03 PM

What's your favorite Edmund Gwenn movie?

• Like 2

Don't know if I can pinpoint a favorite, but I'll list a few early appearances I've seen over the years on TCM that are worth watching:

Anthony Adverse (1936)

Pride and Prejudice (1940)

Foreign Correspondent (1940)

Cheers for Miss Bishop (1941)

The Devil and Miss Jones (1941)

• Like 1

A few of my favorite Gwen performances are:

as the bishop in the 1952 version of LES MISÈRABLES

as Rev Lloyd in LIFE WITH FATHER

and his performances in the Lassie films! :)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, sagebrush said:

A few of my favorite Gwen performances are:

as the bishop in the 1952 version of LES MISÈRABLES

as Rev Lloyd in LIFE WITH FATHER

and his performances in the Lassie films! :)

I had forgotten he was in LIFE WITH FATHER. Thanks for mentioning that.

Our second western star is

YVONNE DE CARLO

In the Universal western TOMAHAWK (1951) there is a scene where she has to outrun some natives. We have several long shots where she rides up to and past the camera. Done on location in South Dakota. These are not edited shots, either. They last anywhere from 30 to 45 seconds, and we can tell it is really her riding and not a stunt double. 

She's fearless and fast. Right at home in this genre.

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 3.11.15 PM.jpg

• Like 3

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 6.24.45 AM.jpg
TOMAHAWK (1951) with Yvonne De Carlo & Van Heflin. Heflin turns in a fine performance, though the script is a bit preachy about giving things back to the natives (which given the era with its stereotyped portrayals, is certainly remarkable). De Carlo demonstrates mastery on horseback in an exciting chase scene. Rock Hudson has a minor role, and the often overlooked Alex Nicol is most attractive. Filmed on location in South Dakota in Technicolor.

8 minutes ago, Oneeyeopen said:

Yvonne DeCarlo, what an interesting career. 

She was in McClintock with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara and she was Moses' wife in The Ten Commandments.

She was also in Criss Cross with Burt Lancaster and Dan Duryea.  

Very interesting.

I never knew she was in westerns. She had such exotic looks that seemed more suited for biblical films and film noir. Her looks remind me a bit of Hedy Lamarr. 

However, her biggest fame came as Lily Munster.

• Like 2

Yvonne de Carlo was a triple threat performer. I really liked her in THE CAPTAIN'S PARADISE and, she was very good in  the Broadway show FOLLIES.

tumblr_n28m6ullP21rg1mmoo1_1280.jpg

• Like 3

Our second post-code star is

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.38.44 AM

DONALD SUTHERLAND

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.40.36 AM

He was in M*A*S*H (1970) and played the title character in KLUTE (1971).

Today he is the elder statesman of cool.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.39.21 AM

• Like 2

Recently I watched LADY ICE (1973) a somewhat forgotten crime caper starring Donald Sutherland, Jennifer O'Neill and Robert Duvall. Even in a film with a slightly flawed premise, he turns in a solid performance.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.48.03 AM

You've touted Yvonne DeCarlo before, but my exposure to her is still very limited. Beyond The Ten Commandments and Cris Cross, I don't think I've seen any of her films.

Donald Sutherland, on the other hand, I've seen in many films. I believe never nominated for an Oscar somehow. Some highlights from his early career:

I believe as a mute in Die! Die! My Darling (it's been a while), which I think was also his film debut

He has a memorable scene impersonating a general in The Dirty Dozen, which probably helped make him a star.

A small part in The Bedford Incident, which is just a good dramatic tension film worth seeing, though not necessarily for him.

It's already been mentioned, but he's fantastic in Klute. It's Jane Fonda's film, but he more than holds his own.

I don't know that Johnny Got His Gun is a film I ever want to watch a second time. It's too wrenching. But check out Sutherland's scenes.

• Like 1
On 12/31/2020 at 7:22 PM, TopBilled said:

DONALD SUTHERLAND

He was the goofiest member of The Dirty Dozen (1967), Sutherland had said director Robert Aldrich chose him to do the scene below where he poses as a General. Aldrich didn't even know his name, he just said "You, with the big ears, do this scene!" Sutherland adlibbed this bit below himself.

Tom's Old Days on Twitter: "Great Scene from “The Dirty Dozen” Donald  Sutherland Impersonates a General and inspects the Troops. "Very pretty  Colonel,very pretty,but,can they fight? #Hollywood #movie #1960s #actor…  https://t.co/v8c944pWUP"

• Like 1

Our second child star is 

PEGGY ANN GARNER

She shared scenes with Elizabeth Taylor in JANE EYRE (1943).

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 5.13.10 PM

But she would make her mark as the young heroine in A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN (1945).

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 7.19.30 AM.jpeg

For her efforts, Peggy was awarded an Oscar.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 5.11.03 PM

• Like 2

Stockfoto IN NAME ONLY, Peggy Ann Garner (front), rear

Peggy Ann Garner had a memorable role as widow Carole Lombard's daughter in In Name Only (1939). Lombard's character falls in love with unhappily married Alec played by Cary Grant. His scheming wife is played by Kay Francis. Garner has one of the funniest lines when she first meets Francis and she says "Is she Alec's mother?"

• Like 1

Peggy Ann Garner was so relatable in A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, it's hard not to have that be my favorite film in which she appeared.

She didn't have a prolific post adolescent film career for sure, but she did have a decent TV and stage career.

I also thought she was very good in THE SIGN OF THE RAM.

the-sign-of-the-ram-us-lobbycard-from-left-susan-peters-peggy-ann-picture-id1137323731

• Like 1

Our second precode star is 

RICHARD BARTHELMESS

Mary Astor professed her undying love to him in THE LASH (1930).

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 2.05.12 PM

Bette Davis couldn't keep her hands off him in THE CABIN IN THE COTTON (1932).

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 2.13.38 PM

And Loretta Young was swept off her feet by him in HEROES FOR SALE (1933).

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 2.15.42 PM

• Like 4

Richard Barthelmess appeared in about 56-57 silent films and 20-21 talkies. I think he should be spoken about more often. He was good in Griffith's BROKEN BLOSSOMS (stereotypical image aside) and WAY DOWN EAST, and also in THE PATENT LEATHER KID, for which he was nominated for best actor.

I also thought he was very good in THE DAWN PATROL and ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS.

190px-Barth07.jpg

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Richard Barthelmess appeared in about 56-57 silent films and 20-21 talkies. I think he should be spoken about more often. He was good in Griffith's BROKEN BLOSSOMS (stereotypical image aside) and WAY DOWN EAST, and also in THE PATENT LEATHER KID, for which he was nominated for best actor.

I also thought he was very good in THE DAWN PATROL and ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS.

190px-Barth07.jpg

Thanks for mentioning his silent films as well as some of his later sound films.

In the looks department, he reminds me of George Brent and Chester Morris, with a bit of Ramon Novarro thrown in.

If I were to ever make a list of my top ten favorite precode films, HEROES FOR SALE would be near the top. I love everything about that film, from his chemistry with Loretta Young to the fine supporting turns by Aline MacMahon and Charley Grapewin. Plus it has a real gritty storyline. 

• Like 1