Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Winter Under the Stars

I saw  Peggy  Ann  Garner  recently  in  a  episode  of  Bonanza.  The  episode  was  called  The  Rival  where  she  had  a love triangle  between  Dan  Blocker  and  Charles  Aidman.  Peggy  was  trying  to  save    Charles  from a  posse and  i  enjoyed  the  episode.  I  loved  Donald  Sutherland  in  Kelly's  Heroes,  his  character  Oddball   was  great.

• Like 1

Look at that tiny little Oscar! Was it a better world they singled out children for outstanding performances outside of competition? I mean, when Anna Paquin won Best Supporting Actress when she was like 11, how did the other four nominees feel?

I don't remember the thread title now, but there was some discussion recently of Garner's adult appearance in Black Widow, in which it felt like about 50 people chimed in to say how unflattering her haircut was in that movie!

• Haha 1

I like Deanna Durbin's films she made as an adult more than the ones in which she was a teenager (although the voice was already there.) She was just such a charming young lady, and her musicals were very different from the musicals from MGM, WB and 20th Century Fox. Special favorites of mine are her performances of "Granada" from I'LL BE YOURS, "Begin The Beguine" from HERS TO HOLD and "Night And Day" from LADY ON A TRAIN. I have a CD of her recordings of arias from operas. It's spectacular!

MV5BMjEwOTQzNjMwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzU2MjI2._V1_UY317_CR16,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Edited by sagebrush
Listed incorrect film title.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I like Deanna Durbin's films she made as an adult more than the ones in which she was a teenager (although the voice was already there.) She was just such a charming young lady, and her musicals were very different from the musicals from MGM, WB and 20th Century Fox. Special favorites of mine are her performances of "Granada" from I'LL BE YOURS, "Begin The Beguine" from HERS TO HOLD and "Night And Day" from CAN'T HELP SINGING. I have a CD of her recordings of arias from operas. It's spectacular!

MV5BMjEwOTQzNjMwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzU2MjI2._V1_UY317_CR16,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Nice photo. My favorite is CAN'T HELP SINGING, which of course was her only one in Technicolor. I also like CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY.

Not long ago I watched SOMETHING IN THE WIND, a later one she did with Donald O'Connor and it was loads of fun.

In terms of her costars, I think she worked best with Charles Laughton.

• Like 1

Our third villain is

JACK PALANCE

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.37.14 AM

He essays sinister characters in noir -- SUDDEN FEAR.

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 9.42.10 AM.jpeg

In horror -- MAN IN THE ATTIC.

ce9f1-screen2bshot2b2016-10-252bat2b6-05-222bpm.png?w=313&h=269

And in westerns -- THE MCMASTERS.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 6.06.01 PM

• Like 3

Great idea TopBilled.  I really love the title of your thread too.  Winter Under The Stars and if TCM acquired such thing?  We would get Winter Under The Stars and Summer Under The Stars.  Love it.  Keep it goin and try also requesting it in my thread.  Called What Would You Like To See On TCM In 2021 and if you come up with any creative  ideas we could maybe work on together here on the message boards?  Like we are for Rick Moranis?  Let me know.  Ok buddy.  Happy New Year to you and everybody.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

Great idea TopBilled.  I really love the title of your thread too.  Winter Under The Stars and if TCM acquired such thing?  We would get Winter Under The Stars and Summer Under The Stars.  Love it.  Keep it goin and try also requesting it in my thread.  Called What Would You Like To See On TCM In 2021 and if you come up with any creative  ideas we could maybe work on together here on the message boards?  Like we are for Rick Moranis?  Let me know.  Ok buddy.  Happy New Year to you and everybody.

Thanks David. Happy New Year to you as well.

The first time I recalled seeing Jack Palance  (other than on TV's RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT)  was his iconic role in CITY SLICKERS and his Academy Awards appearance the following year in which he dropped to the floor to do one-armed push-ups. It turned out I had seen him in quite a few classic films before that but just hadn't realized it.

SUDDEN FEAR and MAN IN THE ATTIC are two he was very good in, and also I DIED A THOUSAND TIMES. 

I love to listen to his recording of "The Night Before Christmas" poem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msa_gr4e9qA

252085__23514.1342530463.380.500.jpg?c=2

• Like 1
On 12/22/2020 at 11:16 PM, sewhite2000 said:

I maybe like her best interacting with James Stewart and Arthur O'Connell in Anatomy of a Murder, but she had a lot of great roles.

She was awesome in that film.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

My favorite performance of his was in the 1968 TV version of The Strange Case Of Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde. He was one of the more demonic and sadistic Hydes I have ever seen.

Also he played the title character in the 1974 TV movie DAN CURTIS' DRACULA.

• Like 1

Our third character actor or actress is:

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 4.32.08 PM

The great European-born stage actress MARIA OUSPENSKAYA. She found her niche in Hollywood during the 1930s and 1940s. Despite her diminutive stature, she played women on screen with a commanding presence, whether they were aristocrats or peasants. She also used her skills to teach acting to young hopefuls.

Screen shot 2017-02-03 at 1.58.44 PM.png

• Like 2

Maria Ouspenskaya always looks so regal and she moves so fluently. I always enjoy her time on the screen whether she played a good or mean character, but I think my favorites are as Charles Boyer's grandmother in LOVE AFFAIR, as the gypsy in THE WOLF MAN and as the ballet mistress in WATERLOO BRIDGE.

• Like 1

Classic Film and TV Café: Monster Mayhem! It's Frankenstein Meets the Wolf  Man

I will always remember her as the old gypsy woman Maleva in The Wolf Man and Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man. She was totally beliveable and even quite touching in her concern for werewolf Lon Chaney Jr in the films. These were her only two appearances as the character and the only films of hers that I saw. We unfortunately don't know the fate of her character at the end of the second film, she merely disappears just before the battle royle between The Monster and The Wolf Man and is never seen again.

• Like 2

Our third western star is an actor who is very underrated, not too often discussed.

GEORGE MONTGOMERY

He was one of the handsomest men under contract at 20th Century Fox in the 1940s.

The studio cast him in every genre. He did a romance drama with Gene Tierney.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 4.43.47 PM

A musical with June Haver.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 4.44.47 PM

A comedy with Ginger Rogers.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 4.40.09 PM

And film noir.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 4.39.23 PM

But he hit his stride as a freelancer in the 50s starring in many hit westerns.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 4.42.16 PM

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more Deanna Durbin films. I've been dependent on TCM for everything I've seen, and obviously they don't show much. I've seen Three Smart Girls100 Men and Girl and Lady on a Train. Maybe I've also seen First Love. I'm not much for all that operatic singing (Irene Dunne drives me crazy with that stuff, too), but she was obviously talented, and I thought she'd grown up  quite pretty in Lady on a Train, in which she performs a more conventional movie musical number.

Shane was probably the first movie I ever saw Jack Palance in. I had to watch it in one of my high school classes. I don't remember why or even which class! I'm sure I didn't know him by name. Then I saw City Slickers and realized it was the same guy. Then he had a small part in Batman, in which Jack Nicholson does an absolutely hilarious Palance impression. Four other Palance performances worth seeing: Panic in the StreetsSudden FearLe Mepris and The Professionals.

I like Maria Ouespenskaya in a lot of things. DodsworthLove AffairWaterloo BridgeThe Mortal StormKings Row.

I'm not sure I ever even heard of George Montgomery, which is probably an indication of how often TCM shows his movies, but I'm intrigued.

• Like 1

I have only seen George Montgomery in non westerns, and usually films which are musicals (and in which he had no musical scenes.)  Still, he was enjoyable in them: CONEY ISLAND, ROXIE HART, ORCHESTRA WIVES and THREE LITTLE GIRLS IN BLUE.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm not sure I ever even heard of George Montgomery, which is probably an indication of how often TCM shows his movies, but I'm intrigued.

He was married to Dinah Shore for twenty years and they remained good friends after their divorce. He had a long career in the motion picture industry.

26 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I have only seen George Montgomery in non westerns, and usually films which are musicals (and in which he had no musical scenes.)  Still, he was enjoyable in them: CONEY ISLAND, ROXIE HART, ORCHESTRA WIVES and THREE LITTLE GIRLS IN BLUE.

Those are all great films. He was in a lot of "A" pictures at Fox, though he was often cast opposite leading ladies who were bigger stars.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 7.53.43 PM

I read somewhere that Maureen O'Hara detested him (I think she claimed he was too arrogant for her liking), but they are very good together in TEN GENTLEMEN FROM WEST POINT (1942). His biggest opportunity at Fox came when he was cast in the film noir THE BRASHER DOUBLOON (1947) playing Philip Marlowe.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Our third western star is an actor who is very underrated, not too often discussed.

GEORGE MONTGOMERY

He was one of the handsomest men under contract at 20th Century Fox in the 1940s.

The studio cast him in every genre. He did a romance drama with Gene Tierney.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 4.43.47 PM

A musical with June Haver.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 4.44.47 PM

A comedy with Ginger Rogers.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 4.40.09 PM

And film noir.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 4.39.23 PM

But he hit his stride as a freelancer in the 50s starring in many hit westerns.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 4.42.16 PM

When I  saw Orchestra Wives (on TCM), I remember thinking he was one of the most handsome men I'd ever seen. He doesn't maintain that level of beauty as he aged (as the photo from the western shows), but the photo from the noir is absolutely stunning.

9 minutes ago, kingrat said:

When I  saw Orchestra Wives (on TCM), I remember thinking he was one of the most handsome men I'd ever seen. He doesn't maintain that level of beauty as he aged (as the photo from the western shows), but the photo from the noir is absolutely stunning.

Here's a photo of him from a 1969 movie he made called STRANGERS AT SUNRISE:

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 7.54.53 PM

• Thanks 1

Our third post-code star is

SANDY DENNIS.

Perhaps she's most remembered for her role as the teacher in UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE (1967).

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 7.38.49 PM

She was also in THAT COLD DAY IN THE PARK (1969).

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 9.42.53 AM

And COME BACK TO THE 5 AND DIME JIMMY DEAN JIMMY DEAN (1982).

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 1.52.15 PM.jpeg

• Like 2